Fab Speed Silver or Black Coating | FerrariChat

Fab Speed Silver or Black Coating

Discussion in '348/355' started by Boaf 32, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Fellow 355ers,

I am contemplating changing out my leaky factory exhaust manifolds with Fab Speeds. The options I am contemplating is weather to Ceramic Coat or not. Wondering if anybody has installed silver or black ceramic coated manifolds (with pictures). Would like to see them what they look like installed, even if chrome.

I am not a fond of chrome in the engine bay which is the standard from Fab Speed. Not that it's wrong, just not my style. Is Ceramic worth it, and opinions if the coating makes a difference.

Thanks brothers and sisters.

Boaf

2. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I have Fabspeeds in my 355. They're polished stainless steel, not chrome. They'll age and discolor over time. If you're concerned that they might be too "blingy", don't worry. It won't last for long - though they can be re-polished.

Others will need to opine on pros/cons of ceramic coating (e.g. Swain, Jet-Hot etc). I know with Swain, you can choose any color you want so long as it's white.

3. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thanks Malex. That is good to know the "bling" fades. Any photos of the seasoned Fab Speeds on your 355?

4. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have Fab Speed Headers as well. With about 62 miles on them. They already starting to dull up. I would recommend getting the thermal blankets with them, however. You end up not seeing much of the headers at all then. If I had my car out I would grab a picture for you, but it is still in storage.

5. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    No, but I can take a pic and post it if that'd help.

6. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #6 Culprit, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Heat shields are probably best, but ceramic coating is generally considered the very least you should do to prevent excessive heat soak to surrounding components. I went with Swain Tech, and painted the manifolds white on a '97 I had; some of these are not my pics, but same idea. Black works well too if you don't care to see them in the engine bay. As said, untreated manifolds will quickly oxidize and the mirror finish will fade.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I highly recommend replacing your headers with Tubi headers instead. They are the only ones with built in heat shielding like the factory.

8. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    Expect the ceramic coat to peel eventually......have yet to see one not peeling.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat