F12 handling | FerrariChat

F12 handling

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by theV12Guy, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. theV12Guy

theV12Guy Rookie

Apr 4, 2020
    Hi everyone,

I'm getting really interested in buying a F12( especially in a dark blue colour). Could anyone give me a honest opinion about how it drives? Thank you very much.

theV12Guy

Sent from my Mi A2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    It’s a very over powered gt cruiser, where you sit really far back within the cockpit. Turn in and front grip is reasonable, but as a 2wd car with 720 hp, you will easily overwhelm the rear tires if you are greedy with the throttle and don’t have the electronics on.

With the electronics on, its very easy to drive, and the naturally aspirated v12 makes a wonderful noise. Great for trips

tscud, -CD-, MDEL and 5 others like this.
  3. F142George

F142George Karting

Jun 26, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    George
    @rlips hit the nail on the head. Make sure whatever dealer you are getting it from gives you a fresh set of tyres. The car quickly becomes undriveable when the rears are worn. Especially when the tarmac is not warm or the tyres are still below temp, it is very difficult to get anywhere above 40% throttle without wheelspin. When it comes to turn in, it is sharp for a GT, there is noticeable body roll through banking turns or any sequential set of turns. Transmission and engine only really come to life above 5000rpm, any gear changes below 4k ish will not be extremely engaging. Hope this helps.

tscud, Yumeoikake, Senna1994 and 2 others like this.
  4. Shamsta

Shamsta Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    @theV12Guy

What are you looking to do with the car?

tomc likes this.
  5. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Its utterly beautiful to have in your garage...ownership of F12 feels special.

Its scary...very light direct steering, big car....and accelerates faster than your brain can keep up with...and then it looses traction...with the rear step out...ai you think...better keep it in one piece.

Once you get the hang of it...this car is all about engine...you dose the throttle to where you still find grip, the engines SCREAMSSSS, paddle shift...you scream out of enjoyment...corner comes close and you take a margin for braking zone and cornering....shifting back...it feels like an F1 car. And repeat the process, over and over....

Incredible car! For the weekend...

And then get an FF for daily driving...and get 80% of the F12 experience in daily life...

IloveGT, Shamsta, MDEL and 4 others like this.
  6. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i would add that you also sit up higher like a normal car, not low like in a 458, so you may feel less inclined that the car grips well in curves but it does
    race mode suspension is stiff and reduces the body roll and floaty feeling people complain about here probably because they have bumpy road turned on

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’ll give you my thoughts after I see you return to your own thread.

ScottS and Thecadster like this.
  8. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I have the carbon race seats and they sit very low.

ScottS and Pis7a2020 like this.
  9. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Doesn't really matter how it drives, the suspension setup affords you enough adjustment for you to correct any characteristic that you are less fond of.

10. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    One of my favorite cars. I’ve had two. Now the 812.

It’s fun, engaging, and exhilarating to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

IloveGT and MDEL like this.
  11. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    I ve made some importants modifs on my car.
    TFD springs, TDF ground clearance and aligment.
    Bridgestone S007
    Simply perfect for a low cost

12. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    If you’ve ever wanted an explosively overpowered GT with steering so quick that it occasionally makes your life flash before your eyes, the F12’s for you.

13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Nailed it.

ewright likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    As long as the temps (and tires!) are warm, I never really had a traction issue with my F12. It was on Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I found the e-diff + the electronics (such as the F1 TRAC) worked wonders to sort out traction. Its a kind of car that shrinks around you. A great car, very traditional Ferrari V12. Its all about the engine. And what an engine!

mthompson2376, LVP488, day355 and 3 others like this.
  15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    100% I had to change to Michelin PSS as the Pirelli's would not put the power to the Ground. The Michelin made a world of difference. Great Car like everybody says, I love mine, but it is a really fast GT.

16. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    It is a very nimble car considering its size and weight. Easy to throttle steer. Nannies are helpful, but not necessary if you’re smooth. Decent brakes, quite a bit of body roll but kinda makes it fun. (If you plan on tracking I’d look for racing seats as you’ll feel beat up the next day.) Plenty of torque makes one forget the imperfections. Engine just wants pull and pull at will. Fantastic car. And the sound of that V12 as it gets to the redline......

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i just checked my Michelin PSS and the manufacture date is 2015... i have noticed they feel hard. tread still seems ok but 5 years old rubber? anyone else have experience with 5 year old tires?

Senna1994 likes this.
  18. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Experience? Not a good one .....

19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The F12 can be a normal car and also a very abnormal one depending on what one wants. Driving a F12 around town or on a relaxed long journey is as normal as driving a BMW sedan. But if you want to go fast on a back road or on a motorway, it's as fun as anything out there. If you're a normal driver like me when you get it on a track and drive as fast as you can, you soon discover that you're always very far away from reaching the exceptionally high limits of the F12. The driving aids work just up to a certain extent on the F12 and one of the things I've learned was that their safety net can evaporate in certain circumstances, when the road conditions aren't favorable and the accelerator pedal is pressed to the bottom very quickly. I've had just one very frightening experience on a back road with polished tarmac when the car was equipped with the Pirelli Zero tires, but since I changed to the Michelin's PSP tires I feel there is much more grip and so far so good.
    You never get bored of driving the F12 and each time is like a new experience.

20. speedbird1000

speedbird1000 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008
    Europe
    Was shocked how undriveable it became once rear tyres wear and shocked how good traction is with new Michelins....you can die very easily if you drive hard on worn rear tyres trust, me going sideways in a nanosecond when not really expecting is what can happen... Fantastic car, not as big as 599 makes it really great, its quite small really. You can get all the kicks you dreamed driving it, the torque and how quickly you are doing 95 mph is incredible as is that V12....

Caeruleus11, Senna1994 and MDEL like this.
  21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The longer you drive it especially in one sitting the more the car learns your style and it just gets wonderfully cooperative and jet fast. But leave it sit for some time and expect to be quickly friends again and it will test your sphincter control. :eek:

22. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Guys, you seriously should consider the Bridgestone S007 !
    Fantastic tires,great grip,great feed back !!!

Caeruleus11 and Senna1994 like this.
  23. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I think you’d do well to replace them. Highly recommend you find a nice open parking lot or such, turn off the electronics, and smoke them up right before you have them changed.....you’re going to discard them anyway, might as well have some juvenile fun!

Shamsta, Caeruleus11, C50 and 2 others like this.
  24. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i think you need new tires. i heard even if the tread is perfect 5 years is too old. the rubber will burst

Senna1994 and Thecadster like this.
  25. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I had P Zeros and the new PSS made a world of difference, totally transformed the car in all aspects.

Caeruleus11 likes this.