Ferrari manual? | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JustAnotherCarPerson

Nov 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Butt head
    Do you guys think Ferrari will ever bring back the option for a manual transmission with a clutch pedal? Or do you thing the f430 was the last ever?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They'll build whatever the market demands. It has been some time since the market demanded that as evidenced by how rare manual transmission sports and performance cars are in the market place.

bertha01, Nospinzone and paulchua like this.
  3. JustAnotherCarPerson

Nov 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Butt head
    True, but I don’t think my generation or the next is even gonna know what a manual transmission is in less they like cars and think manual is fun or there parents teach them and a lot of adults probably don’t know how to use a stick.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    How old are you?

5. JustAnotherCarPerson

Nov 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Butt head
    15 why?

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    No, Ferrari won’t make manual transmissions or naturally aspirated engines anymore.

I once read an interview with Lamborghini’s CEO, who said that cars nowadays are so complex that they need an automatic gearbox to talk with other electronic components. You cannot have a super advanced car and an old fashioned gearbox, not talking to anything.

But I’m biased and I’m a minority: I hate manuals and in Europe, they’re as big a deal and as hard to find as an automatic in north America.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

psych0hans and paulchua like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I say this constructively. Your communication skills suck. I used to tell my young employees if you sound stupid, if you write stupid, people will assume you are stupid. I don't think you are but you are sure doing a good imitation.
    While you are off school instead of hanging out on the internet why don't you spend some time learning the writing skills schools have not bothered to teach you?

8. JustAnotherCarPerson

Nov 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Butt head
    Damn.. did your local Ferrari dealer over charge for your service or something? Did someone vandalize your car? That was kinda unnecessary.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not at all.

By the way, I was the local Ferrari dealer.

mwr4440, open roads, Statler and 2 others like this.
  10. JustAnotherCarPerson

Nov 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Butt head
    Mk..

11. Mbelliss

Mbelliss Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mark B
  12. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Sadly no, and thank everyone who bought the paddles new when they came out. If they didn't sell, that would have been the end of them.

I think pure automatics would have sold nearly as well at the same time. Customer base for new cars changed, a lot.

13. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    The transition to "rolling jewelry" focused on above-average, but primarily sanitized performance is complete, so no.

sixcarbs likes this.
  14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Porsche seem to still be doing just fine selling manuals. 911R is in hot demand and selling way over msrp. They took a step back to the analogue world with that one.

Shark01 likes this.
  15. Mbelliss

Mbelliss Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    It would create a stir if Ferrari did, but I don’t see it. Porsche has always offered a manual in the majority of its sports car models for one reason: their brand is as steeped in the past (911 is a rolling heritage edition itself) as it is in the future (Taycan). And they learned that the hard way when they tried to move away from the 911 decades ago. Ferrari has no encumbrances: while we love their prior models, I think pure F1 racing performance - paddles, hybrids, future technologies are at the core of what drives them. My 2 cents...

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    With this and the re-emergence of the manual in the GT3, especially the touring model's cult following I believe Ferrari will at some point produce a MT car. It might be a grand tourer, it might be a sporty Dino-like model, it may be a limited production anniversary celebration model....but I think it will come.

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    There are likely very few people on this board with my experience with cars, I was probably taking them a part before many people on here were even born. Young fellow, I never made it past the 8th grade so at 15 you have more of a formal education than I ever will. Don't let peoples comments on internet forums bother you, your question was one I actually asked once myself. I owned a 430 gearshift car and though I would probably pick it over a F1, Ferrari gearshift cars do not even get on my top ten best gearshifts I've owned or driven. A Miata, or S2000, or an Evora 400 (I could go on for a while), are far better manuals. When I was building my 997S I blew up three transmissions (they use a pretty cheaply made Asian unit which had to finally rebuild to handle the power), but the Porsche manual is still a better unit than the Ferrari. I have pulled up to enough valets (when we actually had restaurants open in PA) to have a young man tell me "no can drive a stick so please just park it right here", I suppose for an old guy (I learned to drive on a three on a tree) like me that seems odd, when I was young if you could not drive a stick, you were not considered manly, though times change and it is tough to text when you need both hands and feet to drive. There is probably no better answer to your question than the C8 corvette, the carmakers desire to squeeze every bit they can (especially that all important but stupid 0-60 number) has made manuals almost a thing of the past. I think they put 7 speed manuals in just so you would not ever want another manual. The answer I'm afraid is that like 8 tracks, the manual will probably disappear in the not too distant future.

18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There is also a distortion between European / US views.
    In Europe most regular cars still have manual transmissions, and there are not decades of driving cars with crap torque converters - so there is no worshipping of manual transmissions.
    And also no direct association in the mind of people between the aforementioned s*** transmissions and the modern robotised (or, even better, dual clutch) transmissions. For me a dual clutch transmission is far superior to a manual one, it has nothing to do with a compromised solution for impotent drivers, as were the old automatic gearboxes. There could be some nostalgia for manual transmissions, but they have no place in modern cars anymore - for nostalgia, an old car with its consistent features makes more sense than the artificial use of an outdated technology in a new car.

19. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    How does Porsche make it work on their new models then?

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    They sell in the US...

21. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    True. No demand for manual transmissions here, quite the opposite. Premium german cars with a manual transmission are worth less in the pre-owned market, usually by several thousand Euros.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    But you say they have no place in a modern car. Yet they sell. Maybe Ferraris would too. Given the ratio of F1 v manual sales for the 430 I think Ferrari couldn't be bothered and too expensive to keep the manual option available.

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Manual gearbox is simple to repair!

24. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Wow, you were born after I joined this site. I feel old.

Tragically you are right, very few young people know how to drive manuals today....

25. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Sadly, it’s true in north america. Over here, it’s quite the opposite: the vast majority of people get their driver’s license, drive their whole lives, die of old age and never sat in a car with an automatic transmission, let alone drive one. And we all learn to drive manuals, no automatic gearboxes in driving school over here. Very different markets, drivers and customers. No right or wrong answer. I’m a fierce and die hard advocate for the automatic transmissions for instance.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Boomhauer and paulchua like this.