488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 17 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    His review represents the average super car owner who drives their cars daily or frequently on city and country roads. Your perspective is very different.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Well he personally has a 3RS so that tells you something. I was more in interested in his comments about the 2RS being more of a track car which I believe you are in agreement with vs. some of the others i.e. 720.

3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Shadow- Have you considered the MR mod on your GT2/RS?

4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    bingo!

barkanddex likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes it sure does but he shouldn't allow the truth to get in the way of telling a good story.

And saying the 3r is less of a track car is also incorrect. These two are very much equal in that regard.

Owning both variants and having put miles on them in city, country and track environments I can reliably state under no uncertain terms that as much as the 3r is indeed surprisingly livable as a dd the 2rs is even more so by a noticeable amount. Even my wife will back that up and has been outspoken on occasion just how much she prefers the ride characteristics and comfort of the 2r over the 3r which is the jiggier and taughter feeling car particularly at low and parking speed. Both feel unmistakably track focused cars in their chassis set ups vs the Pista which feels much more regular even though it corners very flat and is very obedient to driver input (steering). All I can put dudes account down to is that maybe he had the GT2 suspension button set in the hard mode which I would never use on the street and even the circuit mostly as the stock setting is where you want it. That also applies to the 3rs 99% of the time. The firm button needs a billiard table surface to get any real benefit and can be counterproductive on any uneven road surface.

The only logical answer to dudes account is that he owns the Gt3rs and as he wasn't prepared to (or able to) pay the extra for the gt2 so instead chose to embellish his ownership situation. With these two variants it takes ownership and proper seat time in both to see why the gt2 is the more expensive and only then you can appreciate the superiority of the engineering. Those Germans have certainly put a lot into that car to make it so competent and it isn't all just the huge power. It's the whole sum of its parts and not just a set of tyres as some will try and make out. There's been a lot of clever engineering that has been put under the skin of that car. But again in saying that, the 3rs is indeed utterly sublime and really all one ever needs as a fun car. If one can get over the lack of exotic appearance you wouldn't bother with anything else really. Having Pista's and Gt2's hand of god acceleration is very satisfying and extremely helpful in dispatching slower cars but once you are out of the traffic and it's man and machine vs the road or track, the 3rs is MORE than powerful and fast enough and, all you'd ever need or, want. It is an incredible car - so accomplished now. And the sound of the engine does give the 3 the edge over both Pista and Gt2 even though they do sound very good in their own ways. So yeah its a tough call nowadays which to choose so desirably one can own a selection and appreciate each one for what it is.

Gh21631 likes this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm not sure I agree. Some want the look at me car which Porsche's are not compared to a Ferrari, Lambo or Mac. Porsches are more common place and certainly not at the same level as the aforementioned exotics. However, the performance and all out experience is right there with all of these cars. I think at some level Porsche is taken for granted. The GT models are exceptional when it comes to driver enjoyment and performance. I am having as much fun in my GT3 as any other car if not more.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes i have. I am finding it hard to justify the expense but I think that's probably just mainly due to my ignorance in not knowing how much better "sensational" can be made. I may well do it just for the sake of maxing the driving experience out. I mean if something can be made better why not? Those with the MR mod all say they would never go back. But at this stage I'm probably more inclined to put priority into making a few changes to the Pista set up as I personally think it warrants it more.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Absolutely.

Gh21631 likes this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    i guess it is really to each of its own. I had more fun in the GT4 than both .1 and .2 GT3. Had over 10k miles in both. I really never missed my GT since I came to the Ferrari lala land. I had so much more fun in the 458 than the GT3. the engine note of GT4 can become annoying fast though. I find it hard to believe the GT3 provides as much fun as your pista though. But what am I to argue about because I don't have a pista...

Having said all that I also find my perspective changes with age.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually up until this I would have been inclined to think dude was a reasonably reliable watch. But now, after this total load of nonsense, I would have to question all of his previous reviews and frankly I guess I shouldn't be surprised as so many of these types of guys are out there now making out they know about these cars when in really they have no idea at all... or at best very little....and I mean VERY little using this guy as a text book case.

I think unless a reviewer has some credible track record of actually being able to drive these cars properly then I'd be inclined to take whatever is said with a huge grain of salt. Maybe this guy does typify the average super car owner and if so, what a sad situation.

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The Pista is more special for sure but the GT3 is a lot of fun especially in a manual.

Boomhauer, 09Scuderia, day355 and 3 others like this.
  12. Dontbethatguy

Dontbethatguy Karting

Nov 25, 2017
    ATX
  13. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    No vin and no option list so no way to tell if that is a great deal or not. Could be a bare bones and over msrp. Remember the base price is $345,300. I’ve seen some out there with no carbon, no stripe and MSRP of $380k.

Gh21631 likes this.
  14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    A special car like the Pista deserves a lavish spec, in terms of both color and options, imvho.

I hate a Ferrari with a bare to the bone spec. And I hate the feeling that a Ferrari was configured on a budget. It shows, even a country mile away. Taste should reign supreme.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Clay512TR, Shack, SECRET and 3 others like this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Exactly. The nicer cars are still getting a premium - not $100k over but still a decent markup. If you want a base car or don't mind a goofy spec you will get a deal.

16. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Maybe. Until they get tired of not selling.

PTG1 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  18. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Yep..found a Rossa Corsa with 58 miles and was ready to make the deal but no radio. We know radios are horrible on these cars but nice to use the blue tooth interface. Another Grigio titanium beautiful color but no suspension lifter...357 miles. All@great prices but if you are going to pay MSRP don’t comprise something you will regret after.

19. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Fellas, the harsh reality is...the party is over. ferrari game is only relevant as long as you believe it and allow yourself to overpay for cars that instantly lose 30%. The tail end of the game was the Pista game. That was it, game over.

Sucks for all of us with cars that are losing value. No one wants to lose money on toys let alone the losses that are happening. Is what it is. Part of the game. Yes, cars are for fun and all of that. I agree. But, part of the fun is not losing a boatload of money. That alone will make anything less 'fun'.

To deny all of this foolish at this point.

flip side, keep your powder dry and buy in the next 6 months. No v-shaped recovery...its a depression and stuff is going to go on sale. If you are a biz owner look into the SBA PPP and other programs asap.

Coming soon, inflation. Maybe worse.

This is not doom and gloom. This is reality. Buy your assets soon and hold while USD cash loses value. RE, Gold, Silver, ANYTHING that has established itself as a store of wealth. In the next 24 months or less people will be fighting to get out of the USD because it will be losing value (buying power)

Welcome to the new world. Yes, sucks for all of us who felt we had come close to understanding the old world...such is the way.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fear-impending-car-price-collapse-110000556.html

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Off topic, but might be zero sum (inflation) game as every country prints their way out of it.

21. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Maybe but US exports will be cheaper too.

Personally I believe the World will bounce back rather quickly as the alternative will require martial law in most places. We will know soon though.

But I do agree - massive bargains on supercars coming ....

Gh21631, Thecadster and PTG1 like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I would think massive bargains on mainstream lux cars, not exotics. The 1% didn’t lose all their wealth. Maybe 20%

PTG1, IloveGT and Avia11 like this.
  23. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Those outside the 1% who financed stuff certainly did

Thecadster likes this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Totally agree. Aspirational buyers are gone. How much of the market is made up of stretch buyers I am uncertain of. I think we might all be surprised by the number of individuals who probably should not be buying these cars.

arizonaitalian and Shadowfax like this.
  25. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #425 IPO1, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    William Devane?

In all seriousness, the article is spot on about auto secondary. While different for exotics, it will impact resale prices as buyers will slow dramatically and too much inventory will be sitting (and end up in auctions, with no demand). This will not really been seen for another 3 months or there about. That is when you will see more cliff diving across all exotic brands. It's too early in the process now and why dealers really are not in panic pricing...yet. Now is NOT the time to buy if you have liquidity to play--wait until mid/late summer.

The other major issue is the mortgage industry as retail businesses, restaurants and small businesses close. Tons of empty office/retail space for rent. Plus businesses that were forced to work from home, will most likely start to shift more to that model where they can--people got a taste of the WFH life and will demand it. In the housing market, people are not in a position to buy a new house, which creates more inventory which drives prices down. Doesn't matter what interest rates are, people have more pressing matters to pay bills and keep a job. Back to the mortgage markets, which banks are having to give home owners months worth of payment concessions, it's going to get ugly in that market by this summer as it impacts the banks and mortgage companies. We could see another mortgage crisis--as people were over leveraged and housing prices fall.

All thanks to China. Thanks guys, appreciate changing the world forever. Hell of a way to make friends.