Educate me on PPF, Ceramic coating and Paint Correction | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Educate me on PPF, Ceramic coating and Paint Correction

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Polyurethane basically ... with an adhesive on the inside which reacts with soap & water which allows you to position it properly before using a squeegee/scraper to push out the excess water. It then adheres to the top coat (clear coat). Generically it comes in large sheets that are hand cut to remove excess once placed on the body part. High end detailers use machines to precision cut to the exact shape of the body panel so little to no cutting required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Without getting into the debate about correction before PPF (my 458 is corrected, PPF’d and ceramic’d) if you do nothing else get the wheels and brakes ceramic coated. The gunk just falls off the wheels - no strong wheel cleaners or heavy scrubbing required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  3. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I have been wanting to get ceramic on my wheels and calipers. I think it is a good thing. Glad to hear that dirt just washes off.

MoreGarages413 likes this.
  4. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    The front fender has it and the door does not. It is hard to tell in person and indistinguishable in the picture. This is the latest version of STEK. Not Sun Tek

the clarity of this stuff is so good I am convinced you would see something through it that was not paint corrected.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    You can’t beat it. All my other cars need to have the wheels costed in sonax and scrubbed thoroughly to get the gunk off. My next new Daily driver will at minimum have the wheels ceramic coated for ease of care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster likes this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thecadster likes this.
  7. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    How’s the factory paint?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It's ok but if it wasnt getting PPF it would definitely need a correction. It is one beautiful color though. I spec'd my GTS in the same color.

9. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Which color is it? I feel like every time a red is posted there should be a comment on which one it is=)

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Rosso Fuoco. Interior is a dark charcoal color withered sticking. Pretty car - just needs different wheels.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Auto spell is a mother. That should say "with red stitching".

dhari likes this.
  12. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g

13. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Are all these recommedations the same for an older car, because my 96 Porsche, original and in showroom condition, had a paint correction and was smoother and glass like shine like it never had.:

14. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    My Blu Elettrico Pista needed 50 hours(!) of 3 stage paint correction, then had Suntek Ultra PPF applied to key impact areas, and Feynlab coating on PPF, and Feynlab Self Heal coating on non PPF'd areas. I challenge anyone to pick the panels with and without PPF. Pretty much standard fare for all my F cars so just have to grin and bear it, and accept as part of the ownership experience. However the clear coat is definitely thicker and harder on the Pista than on my 812, SpecA and TDF, so my guys went through a lot of pads. Bodes well for durability though.

View attachment 2922124 View attachment 2922124 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

sfcorse, tickerhound, stavura and 2 others like this.
  15. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I’ve done it both ways. A lot depends on the color. Love this car. Corrected. Ceramic. Bra on the important parts. Don’t and never did a full car in PPF. Will never shine as well as without it. Overkill to do full car. I’m addicted to as much shine as I can get.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

[​IMG]

And yes worth it to do the wheels and calipers.

tickerhound and x z8 like this.
  16. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Bottom line, paint correction, may not always be necessary but the results speak for themselves.So if you have the time and don't care about the expense have your car paint corrected before you do anything else.

17. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    tickerhound likes this.
  18. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #68 v35, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    My personal opinion based on my experience with PPF, ceramic coat etc etc.

On my Ferrari, the paint was about an 8/10 condition. Jet black paint so easily swirled. Skipped the paint correction, and went straight to wrapping the entire car in Suntek. Skipped the ceramic coating as I don’t believe in messing with the self healing, already hydrophobic properties of the film. The vinyl is flexible and elastic allowing it to self-heal, so applying a 9h hard coating on top of it just doesn’t make sense to me. The film masks any minor swirls once applied and the black paint looks flawless with the film on top. Acts as peace of mind for me when car is parked in public places. People who can’t keep their hands to themselves and must touch my car when posing, taking pics, or just wanting to run their fingers on the car don’t bother me anymore since it’s completely wrapped in film.

Also makes washing a black car so much easier and quicker. I don’t need to be so gentle washing and drying as it now has self healing vinyl on it that won’t swirl like black paint.

On my daily cars, Range Rover Supercharged and Tesla Model S, both black: Only wrapped front end of cars in clear film, this time STEK. Didn’t wrap the entire thing because they are daily cars and are not as valuable or vulnerable as the ferrari. Had them both paint corrected and ceramic coated to protect the bare black paint and to make it look as good as possible since there’s no film to hide its flaws.

PTG1 and Gh21631 like this.
  19. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You will not see the defects under ppf, all you really need is a decontamination detail to make sure there is no debris under the ppf, also the facility should be dust free and have air filtration. I had a smart repair on my 991s bumper 2 days ago and this guy is one of the best smart repair guys in the UK, he said as a text the flatted back paint with 80 grit and put ppf over the top and you couldn't see the sanding marks, it covers most things. Best to ppf then if you don't want the ppf and want a paint finish take it off and do the detail. Self healing ceramic coatings are just hitting the market so in a couple of years as these improve they may be a really good option. The problem at the moment with current ceramic coati8is you still get swirl marks which is why I ppfed the whole of my 458 spider, on the white 991 as its white is shows swirls much less and it gets washed with filtered water so does not need to be dried with a cloth which is the main cause of swirls

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agreed, the choice of film makes a huge difference!

21. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I do paint correction myself on my cars, if I wanted to do it I would have done but it just is not needed

Gh21631 likes this.
  22. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No ceramic coat will eliminate swirls on paint only self healing ceramics that are still in their infancy of development

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Its funny though, the more you tell people to save their money the more they want to spend it. We are happy to take it but tey to give good direction.

dhari likes this.
  24. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Did you see the paint before covering it was probably a decontamination correction only

25. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They use halo, its meant to clean easier, it's not expensive stuff £50 a bottle and anyone can do it themselves