456 Air Filters | Page 2 | FerrariChat

456 Air Filters

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by deanhalter, Aug 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deanhalter

deanhalter Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    I have put about 2000 miles on the 456 since I took the wadding out of the airboxes and after taking them apart again for other maintenance I can say the filter is not dirty at all. A couple of other points:

There is a slight increase in intake noise as was previously noted - not bothersome to me at all.

I spread grease on the screen I re-installed without the filter element, as well as on the sides of the inlet tubing. This is effective (much like the mucus in your nose/throat) at picking up stuff before it hits the filter. There was some dust/sand/bugs on these areas, but not excessive.

I have driven a fair bit in the rain with some heavy downpours with the last being a few days prior to the maintenance and both filters were dry, as was the airbox; not a drop of moisture in sight.

As to different types of airfilters and performance:

Being that the engine is an airpump, more air (provided the fueling is correct) will mean more power. There is a simple way to measure this - the MAF. I was troubleshooting a part throttle issue with the car and I was monitoring the MAF output voltage to the ECU. It is a voltage signal proportional to flow. I did back to back full throttle runs with the filter and without, with no appreciable change (less than 1% change) in voltage/flow. If this is the difference with the filter and without, a "better" filter will not give you a gain worth anything.

[note that I repeated the runs a few times using a digital multimeter and I do not claim the experiment was perfect; it is the lack of any difference between filter/no filter that leads me to believe the stock setup is probably pretty low in terms of pressure drop and it is unlikely a filter with a lower pressure drop will provide a discernable difference]

I toyed with the idea of repeating this testing with the MAF screens removed/in place, as there are many claims that these are a source of flow restriction as well, but these I would say are likely less restrictive than the filter...

An enterprising person may want to experiment with a manometer to see what the pressure is in the airbox below the filter at speed compared with that in the upper airbox and down stream of the MAF. This would give one a better understanding of the filter/MAF performance in terms of flow restriction.

2. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    Very good information!

3. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Be aware that these oiled filters are known to cause issues in MAF sensors on a lot of cars.

4. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Digging up an old thread here.....as I am installing BMC’s in my 456M soon.

So is it OK to remove that “Pre-filter” (sounds like it is with the precaution of driving through water) and has anybody seen MAF trouble from the filters oil.

Anybody running them on a 456 ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There have been anecdotally numerous incidents of oil on the MAF sensors from oiled high flow filters. Many caused by owners overoiling the filters, some not. Personally would not use one, but other owners have had no problems with them.

Mirek likes this.
  6. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Thanks Taz....interesting as perhaps they may be of “gently aged inventory”, which may be ideal because if I place them under the right light it is very evident that there is less/very little oil on the outer sides/edges of the filters almost as if they have “dried out” a bit. Perhaps this is by design but hopefully the result of being on a shelf and there is that much less oil.

7. 456dreamer

456dreamer Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Aptos, CA
    Full Name:
    Menko
    Hi Terry, I am new to this forum but so happy it exists! Just bought my own '02 456M GTA today but it misses the 2 air intake units. The 2 hoses just 'hang' from the filters and it turns out, those plastic boxes that those hoses connect to are not manufactured anymore. On top, the air intake on the 550s and 575Ms is better designed than on the 456's. Do you think I can engineer a 550 or 575M air intake on a 456M? Let me know your thoughts please.
    Menko

8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Welcome to the forum, Menko. I enjoyed your auction buying experience. The tech information here and the common parts sticky post are worth way more than the membership fee. Congrats on the car.

9. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    On my 456GT (non-M) both were damaged and I remade them in fiberglas (as were the originals). I glued the originals back together to get the right shape, took a mold off these and made new ones. But these are for non-M cars; Ms have a slightly different shape. I remember seeing several of these for sale on ebay for Ms, but never for non-M for a reasonable price.
    This is so cheap that making your own makes no sense: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Ferrari-456-Front-Bumper-RH-Air-Intake-Part-175621/123375387452?epid=15023883418&hash=item1cb9bf033c:g:~gwAAOSwyTZbn95N

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Menko- I think it would be easier to find used ones like Bart mentioned. Not sure how the dimensions on the Maranello air boxes match up with the 456M hoses, but we can probably measure them if you want to try.

456dreamer likes this.
  11. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Check the part numbers; they are all slightly different and probably don't fit.

456dreamer likes this.
  12. 456dreamer

456dreamer Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Aptos, CA
    Full Name:
    Menko
    Hoi Bart, bedankt! Ik heb bij Ferrparts op Ebay in Dtslnd een bericht achtergelaten over type auto, hoop dat zij het partnummer weten.

13. 456dreamer

456dreamer Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Aptos, CA
    Full Name:
    Menko
    Hi Terry, I do not have the car yet but did follow your suggestions. I have contacted the Ferrpart Ebay shop and told them the model/year to see if they know the part#. If that does not work, I am going to wait to get the car here in California in a couple weeks to measure and see what I am going to do. I have a good friend who does a lot of 3D printing, so if I get a drawing I am fine. However, $25 on Ebay is the best deal if it works. Thanks for help!
    Menko

14. 456dreamer

456dreamer Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Aptos, CA
    Full Name:
    Menko
    I checked the Maranello and they are a bit different. I got both original used 456 parts (RH175621, LH175622) from Ferrrparts for $30 total incl shipping. Thanks for help both of you!

15. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    FYI for anyone considering oiled filter for “performance” the high flow oiled filter like K&N trade filtering for flow, in other words, they are bad for longevity of your engine. They rely on the oil to trap particles and if you don’t have the exact ratio of oil they will suffer even more, plus issues with oil on MAFs makes them a huge NO-GO for me and my machines. A race car, okay do it, but I see these as little more than velocity stack screens and I would never want to see them on a classic Ferrari. Two thumbs down.

16. cshapard

cshapard Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

#41 cshapard, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Just did my air filters on my 456M today, they've not been changed for 2.5 years (just bought it last week) but the paper filter was spotless, but the gauze material "pre-filter" was quite dirty, needed removing and a decent vacuum on both sides. I tried cleaning the gauze material but no method I used really did the trick, and would like to replace the material with the proper weight and type as from the factory (without paying an incredibly silly price of $250 for gauze material. Does anyone know what exactly the material is? It seems not quite cotton, not quite polyester (polyfil is readily available, very cheap, and polyester has a melt/burn point of 420 degrees and flash of near 800. Anyway, I've done a bit of looking for similar material, does anyone know exactly what Part#152578 is??

If no one knows exactly what it is, any info on the max temps inside the intake box?

Thanks!

456dreamer likes this.
  17. 456dreamer

456dreamer Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Aptos, CA
    Full Name:
    Menko
    @cshapard same question here. I have not measured yet, but I did put a thermocouple in the box and will drive next week ~ 100mls. Will let you know what max read, my gutfeel is that the black box will get warm from the engine radiation and the fresh air that flows through the box will cool it down a bit. I'd be surprised if the actual air temperature in the box will more than 20F over ambient. But I'll let you know.

I have not cleaned the white/yellow material I took out, not sure what the best method is. I have attached a picture of mine (456M), from what I can see this is still the original material and it smells a bit oily. I have taken both of them out for now and cleaned the inside boxes thoroughly. I would like to know as well what the material is and if people know:
    - do you clean the original one
    - do you buy a new one and if so, what do you buy
    - or do you just leave it out

I live in CA so I will probably never drive in the rain.

Thanks in advance!
    Menko
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You sure that is filter material and not just sound suppression foam?

19. 456dreamer

456dreamer Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Aptos, CA
    Full Name:
    Menko
    I honestly don't know, It feels a bit heavier and greasier (I have built a couple speakers in my life:)). Why would you want to use sound suppression material in an air-filter unit if you want to get clean/dry air? But I will take it to a company here that builds (high end) speakers, bring the material and ask them.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Intake tracts make a lot of noise, especially on something like a big V12.

21. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    It's sound suppression material. It looks and feels like raw sheep wool; a bit greasy and dirty, and quite heavy.
    For my car, I washed these, dried, and put back in the filter housing.