458 - How do I get rid of the Green Wrench? | FerrariChat

458 How do I get rid of the Green Wrench?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 3POINT8, Apr 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Hi - When I start my car the Green Wrench comes on and says my service is due. However, I just had a service about a month ago. Is there any way to clear the green wrench or can only an authorized dealer do this? Thanks.

2. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    A certain scanner such as Launch can clear it.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Where are you located ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i am in vancouver washington

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There are threads on this exact topic.
    The simple answer is that in order to clear it, you either need to bring it to the dealer, or use a Launch X431 Pro mini (or equivalent) to clear it.
    You will only have to do this 8X total, then the wrench will stop popping up yearly. If you want it to pop up yearly, you need to take it to the dealer to have them clear up another 8 spots on the computer for a fee (I think around $500!).
    That's pretty much everything in a nutshell. If you decide to buy the computer to do it (Launch tool), then you need to do research to find the right one. I can save you the trouble and tell you to get the Launch X431 Pro Mini, it's awesome!

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks so much. my dealer is about an hour a way and has never treated me that great. is this the one you were referring to:

http://www.x431tool.com/wholesale/launch-x431-pro-mini-bluetooth.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8K67or3N6AIVEh-tBh2FPQm0EAQYASABEgKWVPD_BwE

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes that's it, but a little birdy told me that this guy accepted a $600 best offer!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAUNCH-X431-Pros-Mini-V-Pro-ScanPad-OBD2-Automotive-Diagnostic-Tool-ECU-Coding/274033353402?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I really love that tool, and have helped several people already. If you are handy and work on your own cars, it"s priceless! I like that it has 2 way communication, so you can activate different things on the car with it, so you can narrow down if it's a switch issue, component issue, computer issue, etc.

bball16 likes this.
  8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    awesome thanks so much

up4speed likes this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think a 60 dollar autel ap200 will do the trick ..check it out

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thx

11. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Has anyone actually tried the autel ap200? I just got mine but when I attempt to go into "service" and read the VIN, it brings in some random VIN and thinks my 458 is a 2016 Jeep. I manually entered my VIN and there's no way to change the jeep vehicle profile. I click OK and when I attempt to reset the oil service light, nothing happens. So I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has actually successfully cleared the service light.

Thanks,

Ant

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just curious .. when you first registered it which car/brand did you purchase ( free one) ... the AP200 gives you one brand for free and then you have to buy additional

13. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi Dominick,

I purchased "Ferrari" (for free). After it downloaded, when I clicked on "Ferrari" under "diagnose", it asked me to download a sister app "Diag-Europe" but that only offers scan functions. In the AP200 app, I only see "demo" when I try to go to "service" -> "oil reset" section, which I thought was odd. No Ferrari or way to add anything on that screen.

Thanks for any help,

Ant

Attached Files:

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Digging into coverage list - it doesnt seem to have any special or hot function for the 458 .. just the read and reset codes, read data streams
    Many have used it to pull data streams from various CPUs on the vehicle but not sure if anyone used the reset functions on a ferrari
    I would send tech support a question
    Sorry could be of much help

15. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    No worries, I appreciate it. Folks have thrown the AP200 as a device for clearing codes, but it looks like I may be the first person to actually try it on a 458. Will update when I hear back from Autel.

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    It is actually very inexpensive to get the codes and data streams to diagnose issues ..

17. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Just a quick update. Autel is unable to clear the service light green wrench, so don’t bother wasting time with AP200.

However I am happy to say that the Foxlink NT510 spanner for BMW currently on sale at Amazon for $155 would do the trick. You then email the seller with the serial number of the device and they will assign Ferrari software package to your device. Download the software to the scanner, plug into car, and reset the service light. Hope this helps other folks who want to get rid of that maintenance light. It has also helped me pull codes that appear to be gearbox related, hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction in that thread. For folks interested, I can ping the seller to see if there’s any group discount.

Ant

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I emailed the company about the Foxwell NT510 (once a year ago, and again about 4 months ago). Both times I was told that the Ferrari software that they have does NOT clear the oil service wrench. they advertise that it is supposed to, but after hearing from a user that it didn't, I called and they confirmed that it didn't. I'm not sure if anything changed recently. I purchased the Launch X431 Pro Mini, and couldn't be happier. It works great, and clears the wrench. Unfortunately, it's a little expensive.

19. bikerlee

bikerlee Rookie

Mar 3, 2018
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    For anyone searching, I can confirm the Foxwell NT530 clears the green wrench.

20. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi all, my green wrench was on in my 2011 458. I had not reset it after changing my oil late last year. I had to install a new outside mirror switch in my car. The instructions to replace the switch calls for the negative battery post to be disconnected from the battery. I disconnected it at and connected it back once done with the switch. After driving my car for a few miles, I noticed my green wrench was off. Can anyone confirm that disconnecting the battery post clears the green wrench?