430 - Another Misfire Issue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Another Misfire Issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by cpep, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have noticed that the NGK plugs are overly fragile. I think we should all look for some other brands, like Bosch or … something else.

What is the icon for a "pad on the back?"

cpep likes this.
  2. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    True, and I mentioned that first. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cpep likes this.
  3. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    #28 cpep, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    I had to order from rock auto. Nobody around me has them. Good thing was they are only 10 bucks each from them and other online places want 13 -15 bucks.
    The thing that sorta pisses me off is when I bought the car the dealer said they did a compression test as part of the ppi and you would figure they would have thrown a set of plugs in.

4. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Does the miss go away when you rev the engine? If so, you might have a vacuum leak. Check out your long and short-term fuel trims. They should add up to around 0. Compare both banks. If the fuel trims are way out of line, you may need to use a smoke machine to find the leak.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't think a vacuum leak will hold up. The misfire followed the plug. So it is not a vacuum leak. The one cylinder misfire will cause long term and short term fuel trims drift.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    They have the same mentality many of us do. It's only been 2K miles, it is still good. I really don't know why the skinny NGK plugs don't last long. My 328 with its $2 copper plugs last a loooong time. The 355 with $15 Iridium NGK, not so much.

cpep likes this.
  7. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I agree. I had regular autolite plugs in my work van that went 100k before i got a mis. Granted it doesn't rev like these do but my car only has 16k on it and they may have been changed at some point. Like you said we need to find a better plug.

8. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Sorry I forgot to post the results. Changed the plugs and took it for a ride the other day. Runs like a champ. Smoother than it has since I got it. I guess these engines are very plug temperamental.

whatheheck and van22 like this.
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Take a reading off the inlet to the cats as you can see them from the top of the engine