Ferrari why does your paint suck and your sticky issue still exist? | FerrariChat

Ferrari why does your paint suck and your sticky issue still exist?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I sure wish someone at Ferrari could tell us why they charge $300,000 to $1 million for their cars and their paint jobs are worse than an economy car? How does this fly with management and quality control?

Same with the sticky issue other companies don't have this issue and Sticky RX can make it right why can't Ferrari?

Just freaking UNREAL!

jm2 and PA Wolfpacker like this.
  2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #2 Nuvolari, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Simple. Because there is not enough customer pressure to change so they get away with it.

The paint I understand because it is expensive for them to remedy that issue.

As for the switches I have been informed that the newer cars F8, 812, Portofino. & GTC Lusso have gone away from the soft touch to a hard finish that will likely not fail. So for the meantime we can complain not why have they not changed but rather why it took them so long to do so :D

Jedi likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just because they can...
    Any cent saved on quality (i.e. lack of) is an additional cent of profit, so as long as it's accepted by the customers they should not be concerned. The difficult exercice is to assess what is and what is not accepted (overestimate the sensitivity of the customers, and some money is left on the table - underestimate it, and sales could suffer).
    I think Ferrari is on a tight rope because they have set themselves the goal of maximising profits, so they do not have a buffer to guarantee the customers will not be upset.

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Buffer LOL

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    weird, the paint on my F cars has always looked fine to me, guess I am just too blind to see the small imperfections

Pis7a2020 and docf like this.
  6. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Nothing a paint correction can’t fix.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I haven't ever done that but I have put ppf on all three of my Ferraris but I don't know if I will do the 812.

8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Personally the paint hasn't been an issue but the stickies are definitely. Ferrari changing from the soft touch on the new models is a start but it doesn't help those of us with previous year models. Kudos to StickyRx coming up with a solution.

9. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Paint and buttons don't make the car go fast, which is the priority.

10. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    The paint on My 360 was not bad at all. The 458 has a small fish eye in the frunk lid. Both are / were metallics and the uniformity and color are done quite well.

stickies... I am surprised there has not been a class action suit. It will ruin leather when it gets transferred.

docf likes this.
  11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Or sound better.

12. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    To me the sticky button issue is a joke that it’s been going on so long. It doesn’t affect my car because I have a 328 but I have been kind of thinking about selling a few vehicles and getting a 458 ( although I’m not selling anything in this market). I was surprised as I have been researching these that it’s still an issue. What did it start with that 348?
    Now having said all of that it wouldn’t’ keep me from getting one which is exactly to the point that was already said “because they can”

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Well, for starters, you have a CEO who smokes...

If you don't care about your lungs - the most vital organ in your entire body - you probably don't care about much else in life.

Ray

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    A lot depends on what color you have. On metallic cars, the imperfections are largely hidden and not visible.

Try buying a black Ferrari sometime; then you'll see what people are talking about.

Ray

15. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Black is not a color, it's a hobby. I have had two black cars and they drove me crazy.

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You got that right.

I'd venture a guess that terraforming Mars would require less work than getting every swirl mark out of a black Ferrari.

Ray

AlfistaPortoghese, Ash Patel and wrs like this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Must admit to still having the 'orange peel' effect on the 308, as delivered in '77.

Surely this is similar to having a lot of carbon weave on the F40? ;)

18. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Love black cars. They’re perfect for my OCD condition:)

wrs likes this.
  19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Answering Buddy’s question: because they know they can get away with it and they know we have the money to correct any issues when they arise.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Nuvolari likes this.
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    What a lame excuse......

Monsieur Yoge, Boomhauer and Nuvolari like this.
  21. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I remember being at Foreign Cars Italia and wondering if the 458S on the floor had been damaged because the paint looked so bad. Salesman pointed out no that’s just Ferrari as he showed other cars with similar poor quality paint. Paint correction fixed everything. At least on the one I bought.