Elon Musk applies his genius to the ventilator | FerrariChat

Elon Musk applies his genius to the ventilator

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bitzman, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am having trouble not thinking of Elon Musk like the wizard in Wizard of Oz where Dorothy is about to unmask him

But just when I think he's a blowhard he does something good (like his space x landing on its tail on ship at sea.)
    I also saw this video from a few years ago shot from aTesla owner's dash on a freeway in Holland where the Tesla is following a car gong about 60 mph and even though the car ahead is not showing brakelights the Tesla unaccountably slows down and I m thinking wtf when the car ahead of the Tesla hits another car, and they both spin out. The Tesla comes to a stop, hitting no one. The significance is that the Tesla knew the accident was going to happen before it happened. So that impressed me

Now after decrying the Corona virus in the beginning, he's done an about face and is designing a ventilator using some Model 3 parts
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/6/21209370/tesla-ventilator-coronavirus-covid-19-model-3-car-parts

Any opinions on Elon Musk? Genius or blowhard?

DGPF likes this.
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Both. Genius's brains are wired differently. They think differently. They are different. Like Sheldon. :)

DGPF likes this.
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Elon Musk is the real Iron Man!

DGPF likes this.
  4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    iron man -> iron mask?

5. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    He is certainly smart, but he's not all he is cracked up to be. His wealth and his engineers carry the load. I'm sure many people would seem like a genius if they had money for their ideas. His greatest accomplishment has been paypal in my opinion, which is not rocket science, but rather great timing (and a great gamble).

In terms of ventilators, he is only making them now because the thousands of ventilators that he bought for donations were not able to be used, as they were very simple breathing machines, not powerful enough. You would think a genius could figure that out before buying them...

nonetheless I commend his work and his drive to be productive. I just think he is much more like Edison than Tesla

PTG1 and Texas Forever like this.
  6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I don't know about Tesla. He lost out to Edison and went from being a millonaire to a pauper as he frittered away money on trying to beam messages to outer space.

7. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    BLOWHARD.

Turns out PT Musk sent out CPAP and BiPAP machines instead of ventilators. Link here. Kinda hilarious the promises and statements this guy makes in comparison to the stuff he actually delivers.