308 GTSi base idle | FerrariChat

308 GTSi base idle

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rjlloyd, Apr 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Hello All
    I have a Euro (UK) 1981 308GTSi, I am looking for the base idle spec. i.e The idle speed set with the throttle plate set screw and the idle air bypass screwed all the way in.

Many Thanks in advance

2. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW my ‘82 GTSi base idle with full in air screw is set at 1000-1100 using meter not tach. I have euro digiplex, no cats/air pump and euro adjusted ex cam. Just saying....

3. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Thanks Wayne, so your idle is set purely by the set screw and not using the idle air bypass at all ?

4. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Richard that is correct. I find the idle and low speed operation is better w/o the air bypass screw. Simple adjustment by set screw under the butterfly...... again I use a meter and not just the tach...... my tach reads a tad high. My vin plate reads June 1981 although the papers always had 1982 since birth....

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    This isn't how you attain proper idle speed...

brian.s and Rifledriver like this.
  6. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    please continue your thought process.....

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's the procedure shown in the 281/83 Mondial8/QV WSM, but later procedures for models equipped with Bosch CIS systems (even others with K-Jet without Lambda) show setting a reduced RPM with the air bypass closed and then opening the air bypass to bring it up to the 1000 RPM. It's not like you couldn't try it both ways and see if there's any significant difference in behavior is it?

waymar likes this.
  8. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    While we are in the topic of the bypass screw. If you can obtain idle without it... what was the designed function? Just asking....

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The plate set-screw sets the minimum travel return for the throttle plate; which is (sort of relatively) the same thing as simply holding the throttle pedal in a particular position.

One doesn't set base idle by adjusting the throttle cable's min/max response range. The throttle plate purpose is to modify (ie, increase) the RPM from baseline idle, not determine baseline idle.

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Couple of reasons that I can think of (but just speculating):

1. On systems with multiple throttle bodies that don't have a mechanical way to balance to two banks (i.e., a way to mechanically adjust the two throttle plates relative to each other), it gives a way to balance (equalize) the idle airflow of each bank. I can't recall anyone posting the 512BBi WSM (or I'd have grabbed it ;)), but that would be another interesting reference to check also being a K-Jet without Lambda system (so if someone's got it please post), and

2. In theory, having the throttle plate opened as little as possible at idle reduces the change in RPM if the mechanical position of the throttle plate varies at the idle position. Having some air flow thru the air bypass requires the throttle plate to be less opened (to keep the same 1000 RPM idle). This graph:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    from this paper (page 14):

http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:23184/FULLTEXT01.pdf

shows how the throttle open area changes versus throttle plate angle. The lower the throttle plate angle, the lower the slope of the curve, so any uncertainty in the throttle plate angle results in a smaller change of the open area.

waymar likes this.
  11. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Well while the motor was warm after a drive I set the throttle plate screw to 750 rpm and adjusted the air screw to 1050. I will have wait until dead cold to see how it interacts with cold starts.

12. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    After reading another post I was prompted to look at the Mondial 8 WSM and found the following re idle speed. In 30 odd years of being a mechanic I can't recall another vehicle where the base idle was set by the throttle plate set screw with the idle air bypass not used
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #13 Steve Magnusson, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    I think you can conclude that the text of that Fig 11 was (wrongly) copied from another application using multiple throttle bodies as there is nothing to "balance" on a Mondial with a single throttle body and single intake plenum.

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I set the base idle with the air, then blip the throttle and watch the fall-off RPMs to set the throttle. Basically, using the throttle screw to control the drop on decel, so that it doesn't go too far down. I don't want the throttle screw to SET the idle RPM; I want it to keep the throttle falloff from going so far that the engine dies.

15. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Okay - dug up some notes from +10 yrs back, I believe it was from a dialogue with Fletch when I had my WUR & FD rebuilt. (Set the throttle plate so it just is not touching (.004”/.101mm) he mentioned a thin strip of paper would do. Just do not want the plate to seat. Then set the idle speed with the air idle screw.)

I removed and cleaned the air idle screw and replaced the rubber ring at the end of the spring for better sealing to the housing and the air screw threads.

I was able to set the idle at 1000 using a multi meter. Holds stable..... this works for me .... just saying...

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    So I now have heard of three methods.

1. Close the bypass screw, set the idle screw to 500 RPM, open bypass screw to bring idle speed to 1000 RPM
    2. Set idle screw to have a paper thin gap to the throttle lever, set idle speed to 1000 RPM using only the air bypass screw
    3. Set idle speed using air bypass screw, and then supplement that with a bit of idle screw to help in deceleration

They are drastically different, and cannot all be correct. What gives?

17. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Typically in my experience
    1. would suit non electronically controlled systems, usually used to to stop "running on"
    2. would be used in a full electronic control system using an idle speed control motor. Throttle stop set to stop the plate binding in the body, but other than that engine idle speed controlled by ECU
    3. Cant think of a car off the top of my head that uses that setup

18. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #2 was the first method I tried. The result was close, but not optimal. Therefore, #3 is a step that follows #2 on my car that resulted in my desired idle performance.

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The CIS system being one step above carburetors, it does not have any Idle Control Valve like DME electronics. That would lend itself to method 1) using both the idle screw and bypass screw to set the idle speed.

I cannot remember where I read of method 2 …