360 - Rough Idle (fixed) | FerrariChat

360 Rough Idle (fixed)

Discussion in '360/430' started by EastMemphis, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I had an intermittent rough idle problem that has been plaguing me for about a month. The car would start and run smoothly until it warmed up a bit, then sometimes it would run fine and others it would idle rough. I stopped driving it a couple of weeks ago because of this.

I figured it had to be the COP packs as the symptoms fit. Slight loss of power, rough idle, high idle and uneven RPM's at idle. I ordered a couple of them from AW Italian for $125 each. They're Bosche but made in Slovenia instead of Germany. Not sure if that matters, part numbers were the same.

I didn't want to just change every COP as I am totally against throwing perfectly good parts away in the hope that it solves the problem. Instead, I wanted to figure out what cylinder was causing the issue and just replace that one. Besides, I could change all eight and still have a problem. Thousand bucks wasted.

Being intermittent, I had a devil of a time catching it. Couldn't see it on the scope and no codes were showing. Yesterday, I tried again and it was finally running rough sitting in my garage. Read the codes and cylinder #2 was indicated. Changed the COP on #2, a ten minute job, did a test drive and it was good again.

To really prove the problem was solved, I needed to take an extended test drive so in the spirit of the apocalypse, I combined the test drive with a stop at UPS to drop off a package. I took the long way around, about 20 miles, and finished it with an Italian tuneup (run full throttle to redline a couple of times). The power was back and I managed to hit 110 MPH in my test spot. Lately, I've only managed 100, so an improvement. Once home, I checked the codes again and all clear. Yay!

The coil I pulled out was dated 2001 so they have never been changed. I suspect this won't be the only one that goes bad. Maybe I can get another 20 years out of the rest?

Necessary Travel:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Nice diagnosis!

........ I kept my orig coil packs, in the F-car spare parts bin.

KC360 FL and EastMemphis like this.
  3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Heat kills these coil packs. And of course, there's a lot of heat generated by our rear engine 360s. I had similar symptoms in my 360 at about 21K miles. I found that most of the insulation on the coil packs was cracked. I replaced all 8. I got mine (Bosch and IIRC they were made in Slovania) from a supplier in the UK @ $49.00 each. At that price I could justify replacing all 8.

I highly doubt that the other coils on your engine will survive much longer if one has already bit the dust.
    When I come home from a drive I always lift the rear deck lid. I can tell you the heat coming off of my engine can easily and quite noticeably raise the temp in my fairly large 2 car garage considerably.

Nice color combo! ;)

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Kc- someone should datalog under hood temps. Guessing 180

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I'll break out the hand held IR temp reader next time I come back from a drive.

one4torque likes this.
  6. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    So looks like you didn't get a CEL, uh? But then you hooked-up a reader and got some codes out of it? What scanner did you use?

7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    No CEL. I've had several occasions where I got a code without the CEL illuminating. The CEL comes on when the ignition is first switched on so I know the light is good and I've had codes that did turn on the light. It might be due to the different statuses of the codes, permanent and "last". Maybe the CEL only comes on for permanent codes. No permanent codes were showing, probably because the issue was transient in nature. I had the engine running and a rough idle when I checked the code.

I use a bluetooth based OBD reader with an Android app, the one recommended by Aldous Voice in this article:

https://aldousvoice.com/2015/01/17/ferrari-eobd-diagnostics/

Here's the link to the app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.eobdfacile.android

This app allows selection of an ECU. I've found it to be quite reliable. I keep the dongle in the glove box so I have the capability to check for codes anytime. There's an upgrade available for some reasonable fee that I bought just because. Not sure if I needed it or not. Nice to support the developer though as the app is otherwise free.

The dongle I have is the one from the article, an ELM327. About $12 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Mestart-OBDII-OBD2-Bluetooth-Car/dp/B01HXGX8V6

Al Casteen and fotostars like this.
  8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You never know....I replaced two coils within a few months of each other, on my then 250k mile 2001 BMW 540 M-Sport a (Bremi brand, made in Italy). Since then, I have driven another 61k miles and now at 311,000 miles and not had another coil fail. I have a spare on the shelf, just in case... :)

EastMemphis likes this.
  9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Good on ya... But to be sure your front engine BMW probably does not produce the intense heat that the 360 engine does -- as evidenced by the routine checking of the hoses, fuel lines an other heat vulnerable parts in the 360 engine compartment that get cooked.

one4torque likes this.