Tricks to breaking seal on Oil Sump Cover? | FerrariChat

Tricks to breaking seal on Oil Sump Cover?

Discussion in '308/328' started by gt500blue, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gt500blue

gt500blue Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    GT
    Hi,
    I'm trying to change my oil sump cover gasket. Been leaking for years. Have the dipstick and tube out. Have the Oil sending unit out. But I can't get the cover to separate. I'm a bit nervous to try and tap a thin putty knife between as it's very tight. I can see the green edge of the gasket and white sealant of some sort (Honda bond it appears). I cut off with a razor blade to expose the seam, but I cannot get the cover to come off as easy as many suggest. Anyone have luck with those oil pan separator tools? Other tricks to getting this thing separated without damage to the pan or mating surfaces?

Thanks,
    GT

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've had success with a plastic scraper/spatula + a rubber mallet.

pshoejberg likes this.
  3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Go slow and evenly around the surface .... do not want to flex anything.

4. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just removed my two pans a couple days ago; they were gooped up with sealer and came off pretty easily. 1. Shave off any protruding sealer and gasket around the perimeter with a knife and wet the exposed fiber with Permatex gasket remover a couple of times and let sit a few minutes. 2. Reinstall two opposing nuts half way so if pan comes off quickly it doesn't drop to the floor. 3. I didn't have a thin-enough and stiff-enough plastic scraper, so used a 1" wood chisel (taper side down), very lightly tapping it into the center of the gasket material (no metal to metal) around each corner until one corner gave way, then easily worked my way around. I also periodically rapped the pan sides with a rubber mallet although not sure this had any benefit.

Thinking about next time, while no sealer is required, I plan on using a very thin ribbon of Hondabond (routed on the inside of the bolt holes) to ensure no drips or bolt hole weeping. Also got a new set of Belleville disc washers (McMaster 96445K25: 6.2mmID) given the low torque spec. (Both tips from FChat.)

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    As noted, thin blade and gentleness!

Frankly, the problem you are having is one of the reasons I do not use the popular silicone gasket sealers, or any other sealer that cures and becomes 'glue' to deal with on the next disassembly. Yes, ou can grease one surface before applying the silicone to the other but why add an extra step? The other issue with silicone is not the fault of the silicone but the fact that many people apply too much and the squeeze-out is both unsightly and hazardous to engine internal oil passages.

For years I have been using Permatex Motoseal which is a non-silicone, non hardening sealer. https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-motoseal-1-ultimate-gasket-maker-grey/ I've used it on everything from motos to Detroit Diesel 2 stroke marine engines and like it a lot. Also used a lot of Permatex aviation sealant #3 on large gasket surfaces on the diesels. It also works well though somewhat messier to apply! https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/ NO, I have association with Permatex!

FWIW...sealers are not required for every gasket though many folks use it "automatically." If the mating surfaces are good/true only the gasket should be necessary. In the professional side of things, the MOST IMPORTANT thing is to avoid call-backs so 'gluing' the assemblies together with silicone is not an issue for them. If they have to remove the part(s) at the next service or whatever, they're just going to charge for the extra work removing might entail (which the hourly figure/price for the work most likely includes anyway) ! :)

But if YOU are doing your own work, it's much easier to deal with assemblies that are NOT glued together. ;)

6. gt500blue

gt500blue Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    GT
    All good advice and thank you! I was able to work it off with a thinner blade and it finally came off. Actually, to my surprise, there was only a very think layer of white silicone material (Honda bond maybe) on the old gasket. I ordered a new gasket and I'm debating on using any sealer at all. I have read both opinions. I too have used Permatex ultimate gray and black on various applications. I just used the black on the oil pan on my 350z motor build. I'm thinking of using no sealer on this one and buy the correct sealing washers to prevent stud hole weeping. I'm just not sure yet which way I'll go this time. Going to read a bit more and I'm still open to opinions on the sealant vs. no sealant discussion.

Thank you!
    GT

7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I suspect you will eventually find your oil sump gasket is not leaking. Often it is the cam seals, shift seal, dipstick tube or other spot leaking. Oil runs down hill and winds up on the sump with oil drops forming on each stud. It’s just the lowest point but not the origination of the leak.
    good luck.

19633500GT likes this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Years ago i managed to change the sump gasket on my 3.2 mondial by just dropping the sump pan without taking the dip stick tube out. I did not realise you had to remove the tube in order to get the pan off. Now have the pan joint broken and the pan has about 1/2 gap to the sump but will not come off. I ended up taking the sump pan studs out and after cleaning off the old joint i managed to work the new joint into place somehow. After bolting it all up with no sealant it was leak free for the next 15 years before we parted company. Desperate times call for desperate measures as no chance getting to dealership.

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Just for clarification - Permatex has an Ultra Grey silicone sealer as well as the Ultimate Motoseal Grey, which is solvent-based. So some confusion is possible. ;)

10. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Concerning the nuts and studs “leaking”. The studs on my ‘82 308i are blind holes, impossible to leak. The problem is not sealing the gasket correctly. If sealed correctly the fluid would never leak around the studs. I have done this twice. Both times clean dry surfaces and nothing on the gasket, yes dry green gaskets. Evenly torque to spec. Now 5 years and no leaks using mobile 1 synthetic 15w50 the time before same result with valvoline vr1 oil. Just saying......

miketuason likes this.
  11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Mine leaked with Mobil 1, has also leaked with VR1.

12. gt500blue

gt500blue Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    GT
    Thanks Waymar for the response. I realize the problem is the gasket seal and not the studs, as they are blind hole. Question for you... was your car leaking before you changed the gasket and used only the gasket? I ask because my car started as a drip and over the years has become unmanageable at this point, and I hate leaks (who doesn't?).

But I'm concerned that the cover may be warped from the PO tightening the nuts beyond the spec and maybe the damage is done. I suppose I should get a straight edge and feeler gauges to see if it's flat first. The PO had the green gasket and a very thin film of white soft sealant on both sides, but it didn't work and this car has been leaking since I've owned it (12 years now). So I'm a fan of gasket only in most applications. But my question is if I am going to use a chemical of some sort, which one. I have read hondabond, yamabond, Hylomar, 518, ultra gray, etc. etc. I'm thinking of putting a very small amount of gasgacinch just to hold it in place and try it (if I determine it is flat).

Thoughts?

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine too no leaks for 7 years using Redline Synthetic oil and using the same nuts and washers. Like you said clean and dry, torque properly, and use good sealant.

14. gt500blue

gt500blue Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    GT
    Hi Mike, but he said use no sealant. And that has been my question. If I am going to use a "good sealant", which one? So many opinions on that topic. Thanks!

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    GT, I guess I could have done it without any sealant but I just want an extra insurance so this is what I use really great stuff and if not this I use the Hondabond that also works great. Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I agree with your thought that overtightening may have warped the sealing surface. That's an extremely common occurrence, compounded by the fact that most people's first response to a leak is to tighten the fasteners, further warping the surfae..

ferrariowner likes this.
  17. gt500blue

gt500blue Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    GT
    Thank you!

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
  19. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW when re building the motor on my ‘82 308GTSi on any “green” gaskets I have not used any sealant. Valve covers, block front cover, sump pans, oil filter mount, water pump..... just saying......