Educate me on PPF, Ceramic coating and Paint Correction | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Educate me on PPF, Ceramic coating and Paint Correction

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. So true, which is why when PPF manufacturers advertise lifetime warranty it makes think of PT Barnum.

In fact, I would say depending on how often and how you drive your car, PPF should be replaced about every 2-3 years, if not sooner (especially if you track your car).

ScudLife likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What I don’t understand, but maybe I do, is why don’t the manufacturers do this?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. $

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Same reason I’d clean the couch before covering it. Even though it may be hard to see the imperfections, I’d know they were there. OCD I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Not a great analogy. No one is suggesting you wrap a dirty car. In fact I said it needs a thorough cleaning.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Two key reasons all 3 of my cars (812, Performante, 05 Ford GT) are fully covered in PPF with ceramic top coat:

1). It gives me much more confidence to drive the cars. It feels like a suit of armor. I literally drive concern free.

2). I hate washing cars. PPF means I pretty much do not have too. I received my 812 last June, have not washed it once. The film plus ceramic repels dust. I simply spray and wipe with Xpel brand quick detailer. Looks brand new all the time.

Costs very greatly depending on market. Figure $6-9,000. Additionally, I’m a fan of windshield protection too. I have ClearPlex on my 812, and Exoshield on the other two. Exoshield for the win.

gzachary and Shadowfax like this.
  7. CT Audi Fan

Oct 23, 2011
    Understood, but why mask the imperfections you know are there? Cleaning the car doesn’t remove swirl marks, buffer trails from the factory, overspray, etc. To me it’s doing half the job. I get it that some won’t want to spend the extra money, but we’re not talking average cars here. Nobody’s gonna spend $5k to wrap a Honda, and most people will only wrap the most endangered parts of the car rather than the whole thing. So yes the wrap might hide the imperfections to a degree, but to me it’s just silly to PPF without correcting first. Your car, of course, so to each his own. Some people might wonder why someone would spend $30k for a slightly different shade of red ... these are dream cars not appliances. I wouldn’t dream of PPF without correcting first, whether I could still see the imperfections or not.

8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I agree. By the way, my 3 cars were fully paint corrected before PPF and I did not pay anything for it. The pricing was already baked into the final PPF price.

Ck10022 likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So FYI- totally trust GH- I mean he runs a business doing the stuff so no reason to doubt him.

I paid $7500 for paint correction, wrapping and ceramic. So if his shop charges 8-10k then it’s a wash for me so why not do it if the difference is negligible.

And yes my car is wrapped with no visible edges or anything. It’s perfect.

Thecadster likes this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I wonder to what degree they corrected it considering you cant tell once the film is on.

9650max and PTG1 like this.
  11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh it was definitely corrected. I’ll
    Have to dig up the photos.

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I went through this a month or so ago.

I did paint correction and a STEK PPF. I skipped the ceramic.

Mine looks very shiny and very clear and smooth under the ppf. I believe it was due to paint correction.

The newer films have properties that mimic ceramic.

I did fenders forward along with lower rockers and I am thinking of doing my doors and the roof.

I will not do the engine cover and I am torn on the rear fenders as they get hot from engine heat. I can see this stuff baking on and becoming a disaster.

This stuff has come a long way from the 3M strips that would leave a line on the hood.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. bakes17

bakes17 Karting

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    I have a friend who applies PPF and he says the same about no point in paint correction. If you think about it the correction is in the top coat lacquer and you are adding a new top coat with PPF.
    Not sure about the whole having to replace after 2-3 or 5 years either.
    My Speciale is now 5 years old and it looks as perfect as the day it was done. It’s done a few track days and about 5000 miles.

I do have all my cars corrected before PPF as Topaz in the UK do this at a discounted price for me. But that’s just for me to have a perfect car and it may as well be done while they have it. They did ceramic coat the PPF on my Speedster recently and I can’t tell the difference between the cars that are not coated. It’s doesn’t clean any easier. I wouldn’t bother in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gh21631 and Thecadster like this.
  14. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    The way it was described to me is the longer it stays on the harder it is to remove and the odds of removing pint with it increase.

I am going to evaluate mine around the 6 yr Mark. That said I do believe the clarity and the durability will last far longer.

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It depends on how often the car is out in the sun and the amount of adhesive the film uses.

Thecadster likes this.
  16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Initially wasn't a believer in the worth of ceramic coatings but my black 360 coupe has it and it really really makes a difference. Would recommend paint correction, Xpel or similar followed by Ceramic coating for optimal results.

17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Ok thanks guys you have cleared this up for me.

Synopsis:

If you are OCD or just want your car perfect

Paint Correction
    PPF
    Ceramic

If you think the PPF hides some imperfections skip the Paint Protection

Varying opinions on the whether the new PPF’s out there have some ceramic properties.
    Some say yes, some say no.

It’s going to be awhile before my F8 comes so I’ve got plenty of time to think about it.

LVP488 and DoubleD33 like this.
  18. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    I will add to your summary that you need to pick the right installer. Final product is dependent on the quality of installation. When done wrong it could be a nightmare

19. CT Audi Fan

Oct 23, 2011
    Seriously watch some YouTube videos ... White Details, Car Cleaning Guru, Obsessed Garage, Topaz. This will give you a really good idea of what paint correction consists of and whether YOU think it is necessary. Hard to fully appreciate on video but you’ll get the idea.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Absolutely the case

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Depends on the type of paint, the intended use of the car and the skill of the installer. No one size fits all. For instance, for 3-layer and special car then quality correction (to perfection) and PPF of just front or maybe just bumper. PPF changes the color and depth of the paint. For hyper just correction and wax. Definitely just correction on single layer and no PPF. I would never PPF an entire car unless it was a DD. Would never put ceramic directly on paint either. See - simple. :)

22. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I'm sure I'm just another opinion to add onto the pile, but wanted to comment on the PPF with ceramic properties. Yes, the newest ones do have hydrophobic properties. However, it is just a coating put on during the manufacturing process, and not a particularly good one from the two films I've tried so far. It will likely wear off long before the film itself needs to be replaced.

Still, it's better than nothing. At the very least it helps prevent the etching and staining that old PPFs suffered from.

23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    So what exactly is PPF?

Where on the periodic table does it or its parts reside?

Matt

24. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Paint Protection Film

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I bet 3m has a good right up on this but I've never been interested enough to look it up.