360 - 360 Modena Re-fresh | FerrariChat

360 360 Modena Re-fresh

Discussion in '360/430' started by one4torque, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Just completed a refresh of my 01 Modena Gated @ 22,800 Miles, 2 yrs in my ownership.
    This car is surprisingly simple to work on, with good access to the engine.

NEW:
    Coil packs,
    Rebuilt fuel injectors,
    Sp Plugs,
    MM's,
    SS brake lines,
    rotors,
    pads,
    Top-speed headers
    Fabspeed blankets
    CS Muffler/exhaust
    Fat Eddies O2 Mini-cats
    Rear camera,
    New headliner,
    de-sticky,
    paint correction,
    new PPF,
    brake flush,
    Gruppe-M intake,
    De-resonator stock intake side feed tube,
    Ex Valve Rem Controller,
    Heat shield alt cable,
    CS under rear eng cover insulating pad install,
    CS rear trans mount ins cover.
    New rear susp accel sensor.

The tune-up, AND exhaust really woke this car up.
    It is like a brand new car.

I had to install the o2 mini-cats today to cure a cel for cat eff. All good now.

The sound of that CS exhaust paired with the after market headers, and the de-resonatoted intake tube, and the gruppe-M intake, and the ex valve controller really makes this a new experience.
    I was hesitant to install the CS muff.... as I've had loud cars before.... but this is different as the noise is behind you....... AND oh my oh my the you tube vids just don't do the under pass fly-by sounds justice.

Next Mods on deck:
    scud sound install -
    clarion head-unit,
    amp, single sub, front seperates, eq.

shout out to the following people/vendors who helped me on this re-fresh:
    Fab Speed -head blanker
    top-speed - headers.... good after you do some machine work :)
    Gruppe-M - bought for $1700 from canada EH.
    scud f car parts for all the tune-up bits.... fast shipping from england via DHL.
    scud sounds.... the owner is a car audio NUT!
    ecclectic f car guy in england..... thx for selling me the cs exhaust 2 yrs ago before they became extinct!
    02 mini-cats - fat eddies
    renown in San Antonio for the paint correction... if you are local these are truely great honest car people.

2. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    That’s quite an undertaking. Congrats on the success!

one4torque likes this.
  3. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Jeff, do you have pics of the alt cable heat shield?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ha, I know why you need a 360 "no-rear-o2-sensor-monitoring" flash.

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Tim- it’s just a heat shield sleeve I placed over the alt cable.

timwu12 likes this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    24k- yes sir..... nailed it.

24000rpm likes this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    #7 one4torque, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    All work was done in my garage under jack stands (with extra safety stands).
    If a 52 yr old man can do this, even a cave-man can do it.

Add'l work performed:
    * replaced upper intake gasket, cleaned oil out of plenum... was not overfilled, but still small puddles of oil in the low spots. Have a catch can on deck.
    * cleaned rear heat-exchangers of leaves/debris.
    * cleaned inspected suspension at all 4 corners, check for play, slop, wear. None noted @ 22k miles.
    * replaced the scud-ing blinker relay with a factory unit....
    * replaced interior lower panel screws behind seats..... philips screws were stripped.... new units from scud f parts are allen.
    * replaced dash upper plastic vent trims....
    * purchased the handy f car scan tool.... as shown on ratarossa channel...ordered from the UK... real nice real-time driving ecu parameter readout,,, and graphing function.... shows if front rear 02 sensors in open or closed loop, show readiness, super handy.... bought a spare leather manual pouch.... cut out some suitcase foam to house the scanner, and OBD dongle...... stays in the fronk.

etc... etc.... car get's more sorted with each wave of nick knacks.

I would be scared to estimate what all this would cost through the 'prof shops'.....

brookliner7 likes this.
  8. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Can you post where you got the scan tool from and why did you pull out the scud-ing blinker relay and replace it with a factory unit F1 relay?

Was it not working as described as it's supposed to as I have thought about these.

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    #9 one4torque, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Not knocking the scud solid state blinker. It was the solution when the authentic Ferrari part was quoted at 1000$ from my dealer lol.

but after the factory part became avail for $150 from Scuderia f parts I jumped on the factory option. The ss unit would get confused at times and lock up and req a reboot. No big deal ... but I think the factory part suits the car.

I’m sure they worked the bugs out of the unit by now.

11. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks, I was curious as to what it was as I have a X431 pro already on a 8" tablet. As far as the relay I ordered the relay holder from the UK to swap from the 5 pin to 4 pin so you can run the $12 50a red relay's. I ordered 4 since freight was more than 1 part but they are hung up in the UK postal service from the virus. I found a great write up on how to do it on here if you have not seen this. https://aldousvoice.com/2015/10/15/ferrari-360-f1-relay-upgrade/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Gp- thx for the relay hack. Nice find.

13. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
  14. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    No problem, and I'm glad I can reciprocate. If you have not looked it over there are some interesting articles on that site and I believe he is a member on here.

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    agreed A voice is a top site!

do not be afraid to work on your 360's..... there is alot of support on line, and through local f car enthusiasts/clubs.....

16. FR500GT

FR500GT Rookie

Jan 26, 2020
    Orange County, CA
    This is great to hear and refreshing to know as I plan to get into a 360 soon.

one4torque likes this.
  17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    feel free to reach out if you plan any of the above pm’s. Many members have hands on exp w this platform.

FR500GT likes this.
  18. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    This is one of the main reason I'am looking at getting another 360 and was looking at flying to go look at one before the world went into lock down. I love the body lines of the 360 over the 430 as it is one of the last real cars that you can still work on that does not have all that fancy electronics but still has that raw feeling of a super car and people still think it's a new car even thou it's almost 20 years old but the design does not show it. I loved my 02 that I had back in 2010 but other things forced me to sell it back then and now I'm in a position to get another and enjoy a 360 again, plus this down turn should help pricing a bit I hope. I have been gathering parts and tools over the past 1 1/2 years anticipating getting another 360.

one4torque and EastMemphis like this.
  19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Just a few 360 ownership resources to keep the experience economical:
    * get used parts from auto recycler's / breakers. NOTE - if you do some home-work you will find a wide disparity between the big name f car breakers VS the new guys...... the big name breakers are 90% of retail...... the new guys... I've found to be 20-40% of new..... in some cases lower than that.
    * take advantage of the world used f part market - I've found some very attractive pricing from AUS breakers...... interior carpets pcs were 10% or retail... vs my US suppliers who would not budget on price. Shipping was rel cheap.
    * shop for new f car parts.... a quick p/n search will reveal the best deals... I check all 3-4 of the normal sources... and surprisingly find a wide range of pricing for NEW parts.... also nice to check dealer for the price of local convenience.........
    * do not be scared to work on the outside of this engine...... very easy to work on, with alot of room. I fail to see why shops charge a premium for this platform for just changing wear items, and pm's..... (* caveat when the SD machine is NOT needed).
    * get comp quotes from your local svc shops..... I've found a wide range of pricing.... AND a wide range of expertise... and a wide range of how these shops store/treat your car while it is in service.... AND and wide range of delivery of services..... some may be cheap.... but they keep your car outside, and take fore-ever.....

* final note...... do your inspection PM's.... in big waves: plan to take your car down for a couple of months every couple of years: put it on a lift or jackstands..... remove the rear fender liners...... under floor pan.... and get good access to visually inspect everything. I found once my car was in this state - I had good access to inspect items...... AND to access anything I wanted to replace...... fuel inj, intake gasket, coils, sp plugs, belts, leaks, mm's, exhaust items..... point being a major exp is just getting the car broken down to this point.... so take adv of the access.

EastMemphis likes this.
  20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Follow-up: I'm finding the price for parts is LOW...... vs the cost of retail Labor........ so you can own this platform, and tinker, and stay economical.
    coils - cheap (LS platform level)
    sp plugs (LS platform level)
    rotors - cheap
    pads - cheap
    fuel inj (rebuilt - cheap (LS platform level)
    mm's - cheap
    headers - can be had cheap, but be prepared to get them machined. top-speed were $1200..... but needed $150 in machine shop service.
    header wrap / blanket - from my research there was no good substitute for the fabspeed blankets..... tried some header wrap... BUT the small intricate pipes on these headers made wrapping difficult, and they just started to slide off and bunch up.
    head-liner - easy job, DIY.
    header install - med diff DIY.....
    cat pipe install - EASY DIY.
    rear MUFF - EASY DIY.
    Rear Bumper Removal - EASY DIY.
    under body tray and rear fender liners - EASY DIY.
    Upper Intake Mani - easy diy..... med diff access leaning over engine.
    coils - easy DIY
    sp plugs - easy DIY
    Fuel Inj - Easy DIY. use care when replace seals (same as LS platform).
    rear wired camera - easy DIY.

you can see a trend here.

21. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Where did you send your injectors for blueprinting? Did they came back with new seals/o-rings or you had to buy those independently?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    foto - I bought a set of genuine refreshed injectors from injector planet off of ebay.
    I still have the orig injectors, if/when I get them refreshed 20k miles from now.

I paid 390$ for a cleaned/rebuilt set. had new o-rings, appears new pintles/caps, etc....

My internet search at the time lead me to this purchase.

For cars that have low miles, and over 15 yrs old, I've always had success with a fresh set of fuel inj.

23. FR500GT

FR500GT Rookie

Jan 26, 2020
    Orange County, CA
    Such a great breakdown for usual DIY things we would encounter. It's very confidence inspiring and I'll definitely continue to read your threads!

24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Thanks fr.

Another thing to remember about this hobby... watch the sources of advice and product reviews.

I have no monetized u tube channel or affiliation w any business in this space so my feedback is from a regular joe consumer spending my hard earned $$.

Use care w other recommendations which can be affected by sponsorship bias.

psych0hans likes this.
  25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Just returned from a trip for essentials..... and I can't begin to explain how much better this car runs/drives with the intake/exhaust/tune-up upgrades.

The 360 should have never been delivered with the terrible 85LB muffler, and the restrictive cat headers.

Had the usual z06 run-ins..... why z06 owners MUST race through traffic to line up against Fancesca..... just to rev and clutch drop is beyond me.

Love this car!

kes7u, RANDY6005 and psych0hans like this.