How can I increase my 458 Ferrari HP? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How can I increase my 458 Ferrari HP?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by W.J., Mar 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    wrap the car with red color. It will go faster.

PhilNotHill and W.J. like this.
  2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well it has been almost a year since my last reply to this thread, and I own almost all different cars, including a 458 spider (which has the openflash tune). My turned AMG GTS and modified 997S are the crazy cars, the 458 is my wrap around tight corners car. Yes it is tuned but not for more power simply to make the throttle work the way I wanted it too. The 458 is a NA engine and unless you put a turbo on it (you are better of just trading it for something else 488 maybe), you are not going to ever get enough extra power to make the machine feel that different. I recently bought a 2020 BMW 550M and with over 500HP and 500lb feet of TQ, that thing will slam you back in you seat, in a way the 458 will never be able to do. If that is the feeling you want the 458 is the wrong car.

W.J. likes this.
  3. psych0hans

psych0hans Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Bombay, India
    Nor sure if serious

A wing will actually SLOW your car down, unless installed correctly, and will ONLY help you at very high speeds. If you’re just doing it for looks, it’s one thing, but don’t expect any “performance” out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

W.J. likes this.
  4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    vrsurgeon's suggestion was in jest (as are several), but not sure if W.J. was kidding, or even catching that the suggestion was facetious.

psych0hans and W.J. like this.
  5. psych0hans

psych0hans Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Bombay, India
    Yep, I 100% got @vrsurgeon's jest, just looking at WJ's reply, I'm not sure if he did... lol

W.J. likes this.
  6. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones

Haha, oh I got it! Thanks for all the advice. The car has been in storage for the winter, but I’m about to break it out.

I ended up adding a wing and made sure it was installed right! I also installed a tuner and exhaust. It woke it up for sure. I’m good!

psych0hans likes this.
  7. psych0hans

psych0hans Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Bombay, India
    Can you please share a picture? Would love to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

W.J. likes this.
  8. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones
    psych0hans likes this.
  9. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Have you driven your car with the stock wheels? Wheel weight reduction can make HUGE changes. I regularly track a tuned Cayman S, 350 hp, and changing from my street tires, 19" BBS CH-R to my track tires, 18" OZ makes the car feel like it gained 50 hp. There is over a 10 lb weight difference between each wheel despite going to a wider tire - difference is rotational mass.

W.J. and RayJohns like this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The OP was from 1 April .....

W.J. likes this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Trade it in on A 488. Probably get a straight swap now or may even walk away with change.

W.J. likes this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I was going to suggest increasing performance by reducing weight (for example installing a lightweight a Braille i48CX battery), but then I saw your after market rims :)

Do you happen to know the weight of those rims vs. say stock forged wheels? Installing giant rolling blocks of weight is not only very hard on the drivetrain components, but it's also a sure performance killer.

Ray

W.J. likes this.
  13. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones
    I probably dropped about 10-15 pounds by switching over to the Vossen Rims. It made a big difference.

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    What size are you running?

Ray

15. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones
    I believe it’s 19 in the front and 20 in the back.

16. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I have the Speciale forged wheels swapped instead of the factory silver wheels. Not sure how much weight I saved? Lighter - faster.

[​IMG]

W.J. likes this.
  17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I would be surprised if you didn't add weight. The factory Ferrari diamond cut wheels, for example, are ~ 23 lbs front / ~25 lbs rear as I recall. Aren't your Vossen rims more like almost 38 or 40 lbs each?

Usually after market wheels, even forged wheels, tend to be pretty heavy.

Do you have any links which show specific weights for the wheels you're running?

Tires also can have difference weights. I remember when weighing tires for my motorcycle, there was sometimes several lbs difference.

Ray

W.J. likes this.
  18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    According to this thread, the Speciale wheels are darn light:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-458-factory-wheel-weight-comparison.525346/

On my Toyota pickup, I'm running Volk LE37's in 17" and they are 15.2 lbs each. I think the 18" version of the same rim was a full 3-4 lbs more per wheel. I am having to run slightly smaller front brake rotors to use the 17" rims vs. 18" - but I don't exactly need F40 size front brake rotors on my pickup truck either.

Ray

19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    You ever live in Big Spring?

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The case for you might be that the 560 hp is more than enough, but that is not the case for all of us. Some of us have gotten used to much more powerful cars with a much stronger accelleration. Not saying a 458 is not fast, but I will be frank and say that I personally don't get very excited by the sense of accelleration. Like I've said before, a lot of noise, but not a ton of motorvation going on. I can understand how someone can get used to the sense of thrust and speed, and thus wants more.
    Now do I think it is a good idea to throw a ton kf money at tuning a 458? No. To get something that can be felt, as in a proper sense of mkre power, it needs forces induction.
    Asking if there's an option which will not break the bank, the answer is no. Not only will it be expensive to get done. The car will be next to impossible to sell and depreciate like an anvil dropped from a crane. In other words, for all that's holy, DON'T!
    Look at the price difference between a 458 and 488, and you have your answer. It will be much cheaper upgrading to a 488. Some may say that the performance numbers tell a story of two cars which are almost equally fast, but in the real world, it is not even close. A 488 will spank the living daylights out of a 458. No matter if we talk straight line accelleration, or cornering ability.
    Add to all of this that you can add a Novi box to a 488 and get some power which can actually be felt. A 488 with a Novi box will absolutely obliterate a 458. That will be a much nicer combo than a turbocharged 458, and it will be much cheaper when all is said and done.

If you still feel tuning is the way to go, Underground Racing is the place to go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

buddyg, wrs, wthensler and 1 other person like this.
  21. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones
    Not sure on the exact weight. They where for sure lighter then the wheels it came with. If you go to Vossen.com, you can see the different weight specs for the wheels.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No way that is possible. A set of Forgeline GS1-R wheels in 19" for a 4X8 is 19 lbs. front and 20 lbs rear. That's in a 19x9 and 19x11 size with 44 and 39 mm offset. I can tell you that the Forgeline GS1-R is one of the lightest full forged wheels on the market. Not trying to dog on your wheels, but the few times I have had experience with Vossen, it has not been a good one. Heavy wheels of a quality which can be described as mediocre at best, from a company whos sense of service is about as genuine as a politicians election speech.
    Even if you compared the Vkssen wheels to the cast 458 wheels, I can't see your numbers being correct. I believe the cast wheels are either 25 and 27 or 27 and 29. Trust me. Your wheels are not much larger than the forged wheels. The OZ Super Forgiata which is another extremely light offering, struggles to get below 20 lbs in the 19" 458 fitment.
    If you had the forged 458 wheels on your car and think you.have saved 10-15 lbs. I'm sorry to burst your bubble. That would mean either 8 or 13 lbs. for your fronts and 10 or 15 lbs rear. Not even Carbon Revolution can achieve that. Only wheel that comes remotely close, is the Koenigsegg carbon wheels. My guess is that if your wheels are a 19/20 combo, the weight is 22-24 for the front and 23-25 for the rear. If you tell us what they weigh with tyres, and which tyres, I can get you the actual weight.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

W.J. likes this.
  23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'll check it out later when I'm in my office. I didn't see weights listed, but I'm on the ipad also :)

Which wheels did you replace? Were they one of the factory wheels that come on the 458?

Ray

W.J. likes this.
  24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    He might have meant 10-15 total, but even then that's a stretch. That would mean almost 2.5 to 4 lbs per wheel. That isn't easy to do with 19 and 20 inch rims.

I guess we need to know the weight of the current wheels! :)

Ray

W.J. and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  25. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    good luck with your quest.
    i sold my Italia and bought a Speciale, I think it has ~ 605 HP....which is more than plenty for me.

Avia11 and W.J. like this.