488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 16 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yeah, it's also odd that a Lexus dealer would be selling a Pista with no miles on the ODO.

2. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
  3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know Porsche offers motorsport training for enthusiasts, but it's about 50K Euro for a few days with GT3 Cup cars. Not exactly cheap even for the average exotic owner. I don't think the average owner would really want to spend that kind of coin for a few days.

What does Ferrari charge you for this sort of thing in a Challenge or GT3 car? It's gotta be very expensive...

4. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Tell us what he said about those 4 cars especially the Ferraris. If anyone wants to talk crap we will send in the perv squad

Shadowfax likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #380 Gh21631, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    I've been blasted often for stating the fact that the 720 is an all out beast. For the money on a preowned car you just cant touch it. Its not perfect but none of these cars are. Some minor suspension work, tires and a tune and it is untouchable. My experience owning two of them was stellar. That said the Pista to me is one of the hottest cars out in any price range and fast enough.

boobernackle, tekaefixe, Rrr1 and 6 others like this.
  6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I'll call the dealership to see if I can get someone on the phone, prob a car that can;t be advertised yet

7. thxelon

thxelon Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    bob
    In Canada as far as I know people are still paying 40K+ for used low mileage Pistas. I was doing takeout at a restaurant yesterday and the owner saw my car and he mentioned he just picked up a Pista for a good deal but still over list.

leopoldo likes this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I could go into detail about what this particular racer said - which incidentally I've also heard similar from 2 other pro racers who've sat in with me on other days - but due to the fragility of certain egos here it would only set asses on fire so I will stay clear.

From my own experience the 488 is a great car and fun to drive on a circuit, and I rather enjoyed my time as an owner, but as you've asked about certain things like brakes and handling I personally found 488 had more body roll than what I would have liked and the brakes whilst good are not at Porsche level (particularly in terms of durability and feel). The same goes with the general twitchy feel of the car - not perfect, but still good fun nonetheless. There does appear to be an issue where the pads and rotors wear out pretty fast and I've saw a 488's brakes catch fire on one side too, but I suspect that could have been due to the car being significantly lowered which apparently interferes with the brake duct air flow to the front rotors - was told that by the head tech. I think if you lower it or stiffen it up with a new coil over set up, fit new rotors and pads (ask Il co Pilota about this - he has some personal experience there), mod the front brake ducting, you will likely find a more durable and rewarding track experience from the 488 but if you're expecting Porsche resilience and durability out of the box it's not gonna happen I'm afraid to say (again flame suit on).

mdrums likes this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I will say that the 720s and Gt2rs both got a very big tick as cars for circuit use......he was very impressed....and I mean very.

10. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    And both are useless compared to the McLaren 570S GT4 with 40% less hp. Horses for courses

Thecadster likes this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Not going by his account and most comes down to the driver. He quoted the time difference between the leading GT Championship cars. Can't recall the exacts but it was enough for him to comment just how minimal he found the difference was and how capable these two cars really are. He doesn't race for either of these brands although did used to race for Maclaren and raced the 12 hour a few years ago in the Mac but is now driving under contract with another leading maker....and winning races and a 12 hour in it. I was telling him how much I was impressed with my Pista but his thoughts based upon his own experiences in 488 and the Pista was that I would stand to gain more out of putting track time into the other two cars (in both a track and training sense). We covered a lot of other stuff in general conversation over the day but one thing which also stood out was the superior durability of the Porsche on track which I think most of us know and accept anyhow....sorry flame suit back on there. Maybe I should just leave it on when I post here lol.

tekaefixe and mdrums like this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    lol, you are running out of flamesuits!

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    IIRC, this is track only, correct? My Dealer has been begging me to go test one at Thermal.

14. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Yup track only and "bang for the buck" is best in class. Once you have tried one you will never take a road car on the track again

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gh21631 and Ash Patel like this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #390 Shadowfax, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    True. Just as well I can take it with or without a flamesuit!:eek::D

Emotions can run wild amongst a few here but I believe a lot of that comes down to having either no real experience in the cars in question or, who own them but just can't drive them well enough to be able to determine the strengths and weaknesses, with some just basing conclusions off empirical data which is more or less irrelevant when you consider how most will drive these cars anyway. But for all of that, it does provide for some entertaining discussion along with providing a degree of humor in these trying covid times.

IloveGT likes this.
  16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Yeah it seems some people here are fragile...but even on the road I will say it...991 Porsche GT cars are better all around...I can feel that my GT3 would out run and out last my 488 at the track. Friend of mine that’s had many Ferrari and Porsche told me when I was buying mine to get the Ferrari so I can experience Ferrari but the Porsche is way better built and designed.

Shadowfax likes this.
  17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Tell me more!

18. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    As I have posted several times before configured an F8 for circa 372 thousand. Allotments are frozen until production begins. Yesterday got a call offering me a 2020 Pista for Msrp 437 thousand. Car has 53 miles. I would have jumped but yellow is not my color. With the current situation there might be good opportunities with buyers co-signing back to dealers. If it was Corsa Rossa it would have been a done deal.

mdrums likes this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #394 Shadowfax, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Yup. No disagreement this end on all of your counts mdrums.

Ferrari is still very much a fun car and I've been relatively pleased with my ownership experience to date particularly Pista. That said, it could have and should have been better in certain areas so am keenly awaiting Robert the ring taxis outcome with regard to the changes he has made. I'm also keen in hearing Il Co Pilota's changes he has planned for his Pista's brakes and how it works out. I'm hoping a a few small changes will make the Pista exceptional....how it should have been out of the box. Ferrari generally makes a good car but i'm pretty sure if they gave their road/track going offerings somewhere near the level of attention as what they give their F1 cars we wouldn't be having this discussion.

tekaefixe and mdrums like this.
  20. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Check out this link - https://cars.mclaren.com/en/customer-racing/models/570s-gt4

Have a chat to your local McLaren dealer and see whether they offer a "full service" track option. This entails them storing your car, taking it to the track with a full team of mechanics, coach and spare tyres etc and all you do is "arrive and drive". This works well if they have a few customers who are keen. Our dealer has 5 Mclarens, a few Ferrari Challenge and STS Lambo's and runs such a service. All of us are 40-60 yo and have no interest in racing but rather learning how to drive properly and improve our times. This may change for some and interest in racing may happen.

The reason the McLaren 570S GT4 is such a good option is that as a GT4 class car it is VERY well priced and McLaren are excellent at helping dealers get these programs off the ground. They have been super helpful along the way. GT4 is the "lowest" class and was designed to limit expense. All GT4 cars are limited by HP and their setup options are not as wide as say Challenge, STS or GT3.

Outside of the car each track day is between $4-$6k depending on tyres, brakes etc. So while expensive, the car is properly maintained and one has a full team available on the day. For those who are time poor its the best solution.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Used exotic car prices in Canada have always held much stronger than the US. Canada gets very few allocations but has a surprisingly strong demand for exotic cars.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Good comparison to the 720, GT2 and GT3

23. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    There is no issue with brake fading or overheating or anything that I could ever notice with the 488 at the track. I had a 991tts that I tracked probably 6 or 7 times in two years. I took my 488 out three times in the first year and I pretty much did the same service on the car, oil and tires. The 991tts needed brake pads after a couple of years but I didn't have any need to replace the pads on the 488.

The 488 is a much better track car than the 991tts but I don't think I would compare it to a track focused car like the GT3, that would be the Pista.

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Informative comparison. But after a dozen Porsches, not going back again. A super car should make you feel special. Porsches fundamentally all share a similar aesthetic with the more exciting to drive models having stripes and aero add ons. The interiors are adequate but bland with Boxsters, Turbo, and GT variants being virtually identical. The predicability in reliability and workmanship is certainly appealing, but for me, not interested any longer.

IloveGT and Dicecal like this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #400 Shadowfax, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Can't agree Gh. Way too much wrong in this. There are guys I would listen to but this guy is definitely not one of them and this vid has totally blown any cred he may have had to smithereens. Fancy making an assessment on these two cars based upon a traffic drive - ridiculous!! And to say the Gt2 is jerky vs a Gt3rs.2 ? Not how it is at all. Fact is the 2rs is noticeably smoother and less jerky as he so describes it than a 3rs.2 in or out of sports plus. I would however agree the 3rs.2 is all anyone would EVER need in a fun car and is absolutely utterly sensational to drive on a windy back-road, mountain pass or track. Heck I recently did a 2,50o kms run in my 3r.2 on some of the best roads you could possibly imagine and the car was indeed mind blowing. It's actually a very tough call between these two variants for sure but for me if it came down to the one, for the type of driving I do I would probably have to take the 2rs over the 3.2 for the simple reason it is just so accomplished and, so ballistic and still sounds more than good enough. And to say "he heard the boost comes on when you don't need it? OMG like seriously? He seriously has no clue at all. The 2rs engine is just so linear and hauls so hard from 0 to red you would barely even know its a turbo other than it catapulting you into hyperwarp from any gear. This guy is a classic case of what I was referring to earlier where having inadequate experience behind the wheel of either of these 2 cars has essentially disabled him from offering any form of credible assessment - least of all to his audience. And, going by the way he dug his hole so deep I suspect his driving skills are floating in the toilet somewhere. His only saving grace is that he is correct that the .3rs is utterly sensational and sounds amazing but lets face it even a retard would be able to establish that after just a few kms of driving it. I recall this same dude putting up a vid of drag racing a gt2 and a 720 where the gt2 was repeatedly faster in a straight line by a fair bit and he played off that. So, he is drag boy, and a drama queen, point and shoot guy, who likes playing it up to his audience, and I suspect if he ever had to keep up through a windy mountain pass or circuit he would poo his pants and be on be on brakes everywhere. What a joke. I liked the color of the cars though. Reminded me of my own.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

gabf1, MANDALAY, tekaefixe and 2 others like this.