My 12 month California T odyssey | Page 45 | FerrariChat

My 12 month California T odyssey

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Udaverea, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have had the car back from first service for a few days now. The small rear deck behind the rear seats where the roof seal meets looks much better with new wrap on that panel, there was a brown seal mark that would not come out. Also the wrap now covers the entire platform. New wind screen protection film looks bulletproof. New wiper blades were the only items on the bill from the dealer, great job by Ferrari of Atlanta. Closed transport in both directions, delivered to my office at the end of the day, which was very convenient. Great service from all involved.

:) :)

2. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In the next few days I will cross 12,000 miles, and even more smiles.

Loving every one of them.

Mitchell, how about you?

:) :) :)

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Wow. Congrats. I'm closing in on that mark myself in my '11 Cali.
    Hope your T is still driving like a dream.
    T

4. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just hit 13,000 miles driven. I noticed it as I was waiting in the drive thru at Walgreen's to pick up a prescription. Was sitting on exactly 13,000.

Mitchell, and rain forcast for you in the next month or two?

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Great, glad you are enjoying it as it should.

6. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I just popped on the thread and saw you ! Hope all is well. CharliChampi now has just passed 35,000 miles of smiles, Issue Free ! Love the car more today than when I received it back in November of 2014.

7. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Nice! Crossed 16,000 myself. :)

8. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My how time flies. Getting ready for my third service. Also about to procure a 2 year extension on the Ferrari bumper-to-bumper warranty. The price for this seems very reasonable for what is given, for the 1:1 car. I have not gotten a price on the 1:43 car extended warranty, which is, of course, much more important to keep covered.

Due to some road surfaces having risen up to meet my car under the front bumper, I have a couple of underside rubber aero pieces that have been damaged and will be replaced, and the mechanics will check out a funny (only because it is under warranty) occasional noise while in 2nd gear, other than those, no problems or issues. I do like the 7 years of free and required maintenance checks. 14,800 miles to date. Mitchell, I am not catching up with you, nor with you, Keith. Still my daily driver and only macchina, spending much more time out of town lately. Quite happy to return to the garage of course!

I’ll also have my windscreen wrap polished out or replaced, a new car wash person was unaware not to use newspaper to rub down a windscreen with wrap on it. He was horrified when i pointed it out, but assured him I would’t ask him to pay for replacement. I do get some fascinating star patterns from oncoming headlight when driving in the dark, but that will be short lived with this trip to the dealer and their local wrappers on the job.

Starting the car is 100% as exciting and invigorating as on my first push of the red button. Still have not turned on the radio except to have in on for 90 seconds for my brother in law to hear.

Engine Music only. :) :) :)

NYC Fred and uhn2000 like this.
  9. 56 Spider

56 Spider Rookie

Jul 25, 2010
    Love my '16 T. I have previously had a 360 and then a 430, but the T is so much more usable here in south Florida. My other Ferraris have all been berlinettas as I don't like the cheap-looking folding tops, but the convertible roof of the T is really great. And it's as quick as (some would say faster) than the 358 into the bargain. And my wife finds it easy to drive too, which she wouldn't in the 430, so get the ladies driving too!
    Much as I like other colors I still prefer rosso corsa and tan though!

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I've never turned the radio on in any of the californias I have rented except the last trip to vegas we took. Turned it on for a few minutes on a trip from Red Rock Canyon to Mt. Charelston but switched it back off not finding anything as satisfying as the sound of the car to listen to.

Probably won't use one much in the one I buy either unless my daughter is riding with me.

11. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well, just here to report I turned 20,000 miles with my daily driver. Bumper-to-bumper warranty just expired, which I had extended for 2 years near the end of year 3. 5 years. Great fun. I’m starting the power train warranty. Gearbox was replaced under warranty a year ago after reporting a noise when shifting 1-2. That paid for the 2 year extended warranty and then some. Stellar service always from Ferrari of Atlanta, which I still have never visited. I’ve transported for each annual maintenance visit, with one coming up in the next couple of weeks.

Firing up with the top down in the garage is always a fun part of my day.

tomc, AD211 and rob lay like this.
  12. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Just reading your thread. Bought a 15 Cali T around Thanksgiving as my daily. 4K miles later ... Great car ! Have owned several F cars over the years but this one as a daily driver is stellar , reminds me a lot in a way to my 2012 Maserati QP GTS for the driving dynamics and the elegance for a “regular” car. Agree on the extended warranty — never had gotten for seldom used cars but this is my first Ferrari everyday car. Did they ever made a diagnosis on your transmission ? So far my expenses have been a new set of Michelin’s and unfortunately a new windshield (6k installed btw agree and had them install the windshield wrap). Image Unavailable, Please Login
    See you are in TN , maybe we will see you at Citta Scenica in October !

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Love hearing stories like this. Continued best of everything with your Cali...T

14. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    My '15 Cali T with 17,000 miles will be arriving soon, it has the factory extended warranty which is renewable in August. Watching the exquisitely choreographed ballet of the top going up and down, and wondering what one small malfunction would cost, plus transmission anecdotes like this, make the warranty purchase a reasonable price for peace of mind.

15. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    #1115 XSpeed, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    I just completed bit over 25000 kilometers (16000 miles) with my California T HS within the last 12 months. I think this is the best car I ever had.

I like driving the car instead of letting it sit in the garage. And this one is so much fun as daily driver. I honestly like it more than the Portofino. Cali T feels more raw and agile. Perhaps that's because of the HS package.

Top speed I've had on Ferrari California T is 334 kmh, so that's my vmax. I didn't do any modifications, everything is stock. It is quite a powerful car.

The only issue I have so far is the fuel status doesn't update quick.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #1116 AlfistaPortoghese, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    That’s true with respect to all Ferraris of that generation (California, 458, FF, F12).

A good way to be on the safe side is something I practice myself: fill the tank up when it reaches the half mark, namely if you have been driving at some pace or plan to do so shortly.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Themaven likes this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good advice. I recall a few threads on F-chat where folks had trouble with the fuel indicator. I always fill up when it reads three bars...T

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That’s wise, Tom. I recall a short time ago in the 458 section, a fellow owner was left on the side of the road without fuel, although moments before the fuel indicator was showing there was fuel for roughly 50km. I seem to recall a California owner some time ago reporting and complaining about the same issue.

From personal experience, fuel indicator is accurate if one isn’t driving in a sporty fashion. Nevertheless I always feel there’s slightly less fuel in the tank than it’s showing in the fuel indicator. The 458’s tank is good for 86 liters, I’ve managed to squeeze in 67 liters and change when I pulled over at the gas station and I had no reserve fuel warning lit up yet.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

19. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Approaching Around-The-World mileage.

Firing it up in the garage never gets old, evokes a smile every time. Still my favorite daily driver ever.

SLViper1 likes this.