AMMO NYC's Larry Kosilla tours a private collection | Page 2 | FerrariChat

AMMO NYC's Larry Kosilla tours a private collection

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by torquespeak, Apr 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Have never seen a replica with the real GTO wheels and the gearbox casing hanging from the rear like that. I still think it's the real deal.

m5shiv, Auraraptor, Acacg and 2 others like this.
  2. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
    It's just a custom exhaust. Just like the one from the pic I posted.

of2worlds and readplays like this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm sure others here have done so, but I emailed them to see what exactly is in the entire collection. I got an autoreply saying they are flooded with requests, but if I hear back I'll post an update.

readplays likes this.
  4. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
    I have no doubt. Im waiting on a serial number :D

Like you said the wheels, oil cooler line, sway bar mount, and the folding mirror.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I've no doubt you guys are right that it's a real 288 GTO, but I still have a question-
    What I'm saying is the car in the warehouse has a single exhaust pipe coming out of the muffler.
    I've only ever seen twin pipes coming out of each muffler- just like the one from the pic you posted.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    From the video it appears that the cars have been neglected for years or decades--with absolutely no assessment of structural and mechanical condition. Does the Lusso have its original engine, a Ferrari engine, a Chevy or no engine? Restoration costs will be staggering.

7. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sure they can all be missing everything. But we dont know. They could very well have matching numbers as well.

You could just as well buy them and service them without having to restore them to pebble beach standards if you actually want to drive them (which is what I would do if I had the means..). Buy a Lusso and get it driveable and drive it. Concours are cool but being able to drive the car without worrying that you might lose 0.5 point is better.

HalWoods, Ryan S., willrace and 3 others like this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I don’t have time nor even interest to follow or watch any “Reality(?)TV” or Utube programs/shows, from what I’ve heard or bits I’ve seen over the years I’ve come to conclusion that 99 (or more ?) out of 100 shows like this are just that ^^,...
    ..., but apparently also quite popular. :confused:

9. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    4:11
    275 NART Replica? Or am I missing a more obvious lookalike? Appears to have only two chunky vents behind the front wheels, so a fairly distinctive replica at that.

This is pretty obviously just marketing for the collection. A lot of build-up about how it's great that the owner says they can film... and then he casually mentions that they're all for sale. No wonder he's happy for you to film! ;)

-Ed

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I looked at that as well, Ed. Another instance where the lighting and editing conspire to make it very difficult to determine so much about the car(s) featured.
    Ultimately, because of the vents I dismissed the possibility that the car had any true 275 origins whatsoever (in my opinion).
    The closest guess I could make is an Apollo GT Roadster although it may turn out to be something else entirely.

375+ likes this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The windshield and glass for 275 vs. Apollo/Torino/Italia/Intermeccanica are dead giveaways. It's difficult to say but the height of the side glass indicates Intermeccanica to me.

readplays and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I received a reply. They are busy and understaffed at the moment and don't have a list of all the cars for sale. They are currently working on a website, which is not up yet. I asked specifically now for a list of the Fcars rather than all of them and will update again if I get that...

readplays likes this.
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sounds good on paper or as interweb forum posting, but show me a person able & willing to do just that and I’ll show you a Big Foot equivalent of real car guy. A super rare sighting.
    And obviously, by “driving” (a Lusso or anything equivalent) I mean “as intended”, i.e. long distance leisure travel (= Grand Touring) kind of driving, not some occasional short sprint to appear at a local C & C or Show .

14. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Style of the headlight fairings isn't a match for the Intermeccanica to my eyes (certainly not a match for a real 275 NART either, but that's another matter). I've drawn on white lines where I see the body and shut lines, and the door profile looks like a half-decent copy of the 275 to me. Also a green circle over what looks like a quarterlight - another reason I don't think it's an Intermeccanica. The side vents are very odd, but I would hope that might make it easier to identify the replica in question, or perhaps its likely builder.

-Ed

readplays and 375+ like this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Readplays suggested the Apollo GT roadster which has more rounded lines than the Omega/Italia. The later cars have a pronounced peak to the fender line, this car does not. The doorglass looks the same to me, rather tall without taper toward the rear. I am guessing that all open Intermeccanica cars used the same convertible top(Sunbeam, AC 428 or?) and used the same windshield though the Apollo cars might be different. Reisners are still in business in Vancouver IIRC.

readplays likes this.
  16. jpbrown

jpbrown Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    readplays likes this.
  17. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Good spot. Definitely a 275 NART replica.

-Ed

18. balas

balas Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
    New York, NY
    Do these cars have any connection to Van Horneff?

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Van Horneff's P538 is still on loan at the Simeone Museum, Philadelphia.

20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    #45 ChipG, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    yea, after I looked at lot of pictures of the transaxle I agree, it's a real 288 with holes in the rear quarters.

m5shiv likes this.
  21. Barnyb

Barnyb Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    Auckland
    I endured the whole vid.
    Why did they not wheel the car they were working on out to good light and in an area with enough working room?
    Then do the same for the next one, and the one after..

Apollo 11 likes this.
  22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    To prevent location being identified ?

Ryan S. likes this.
  23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland.

Marcel Massini

Lusso123, AtSomePoint, balas and 2 others like this.
  24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Maybe too much work if they have to wheel 30 cars to get to the one they want?

Strange story in any case

25. Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki Rookie

May 9, 2004
    Given that the whole idea was to sell the car, you would think it would have made sense to get it out of there. Just sayin' . . .

Barnyb likes this.