CALIFORNIA BANK 1 and Bank 2 | FerrariChat

CALIFORNIA BANK 1 and Bank 2

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tomov69, Apr 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello guys,

Can someone explain to me which bank is Bank 1 and which bank is Bank 2 if you stay infront of the engine of Ferrari California?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you stand in front of the car and look back at the car, bank 1 is left, 2 is right.
    Cyl1 and Cyl12 are closest to the main pulley.

3. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013

Thank you for the information. I want to deal with a problem on my car and if you will be able to help me please tell me. Here is the begining of the story of my problem:

When I start the engine it works perfect. After some time after it reaches 90 degrees the engine start working bad and to missfire on the pistons and when I rev the engine in the back there is a black smoke. After this I diagnose the car. The diagnostic show me error code P000C Timing sensor A (BANK 2): Slow response.

I want to change the sensor but I dont know which one to change since on the car there is 4 sensors. Two on the left side and two on the right side. One the right side one of them is on the top and one is on the bottom. Same on the left side - one is on the top and one is on the bottom. The picture I attached is of the right side of the engine for example.Please see the picture attached.

Please let me know :
    1.which sensor I have to change? The top one or bottom one? Also on which side it is on left or right side of the engine?
    2. Also would like to hear your opinion. Does the problem of the car to work bad is this sensor or there is some problem in the engine.

P.S. I want to make it clear that this problem appear when the car reaches 90 degrees. It works good when the engine is cold.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    First of all, what is your model specific and where do you reside?
    You took the engine out?

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    When the engine is cold, the fuel map runs open loop and it does not rely on cam shaft information. When it is hot, the fuel map runs closed loop and it needs to know the cam position to direct the injection system. That is why your problem shows up only when it is warmed up.

As for which sensor, the code is not specific to which sensor (intake or exhaust). You can likely test them on the bench, or inspect the wiring and connector, or the physical condition of the sensor. If it is cheap enough, replace both sensors.

Good luck.

6. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Thank you for the information, it was really useful for me. First think that I would do tomorrow is to change all 4 of them . I will let you know if that fix the problem with the car. Will keep you in touch. Thanks again!

7. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello,

I just changed 4 of the timing sensor on the car and the car works the same. Again there is no proper working on the engine when the car is hot. It works like its missifiring. Do you have any idea where I could start now to deal with the problem. On the diagnostic shows me again the error P000C Timing sensor A (BANK 2): Slow response in the engine left ECU.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Can you give more history and context? Very often it adds to the diagnosis.
    Where about do you live? Maybe someone local can lend a hand. We are not going to show up and rob you.
    What year, model, is your car? Certain model years have subtle changes.
    What immediately led to this condition? Did you do any work on it? Did another shop do something to it? Did anything unusual happen to it?
    What diagnostic tool did you use to read the code?
    You might also post this in the California section since there are many relevant owners in that section who may be able to help.

9. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    As said above, bank 1 is the RHS and bank 2 LHS. "A" denotes intake, "B" exhaust". Unless its within a P code where it's hex, so your P000C is actually P0012 in decimal. You have a problem with the LHS intake cam being more retarded thank the ECU wants it to be. When this is accompanied by rough running the timing is usually out (as opposed to the sensor reporting the wrong position). It may be the control solenoid that is at fault but I am seeing more and more problems with the variators themselves on F136 engines.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    At a shop, right about now, they would hook your car up to a computer while the car is running and see what cam shaft data they are getting and identify what the why the cam data on one bank is off. They might even manually activate the variator to see if it responds to the command. If your diagnostic software does not do that, you might need to take it to someone who has that software or buy the software yourself.

11. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello Guys,

Thank you for the information you have provided to me. I `m in Bulgaria and there is no official Ferrari service here in our country. Closes one is in Romania and now with this virus situation I have to deal alone with the problem.

I have used your advices and check the cables ground and they are all good.
    I have checked the 4 timing sensors voltage and they have 12V on the possitive and on the ground.
    I have also checked the 4 solenoids (2 on the exhause and 2 on the intake camshafts) - the volatage on them on non running angine was 12 volts possitive and 12 volts ground. But when I start the engine I have checked the voltage on the exhaust solenoid on bank 1 and bank 2. The both solenoids are with voltage 0.31 volts. Is that normal? Can someone tell me.

After this I delete all errors, the engine heats and again strarts to not working well.
    The error P000C is no longer there. Now I have error in the gearbox error code P1961.
    As far as I know this error is again connected to the engine and connected the solenoids.

I want to ask is ti possiable to be software problem on the engine ECU? Also is this normal when the engine is running the volatage that go to solenoids to be 0.31V. Is this Ok to be like that, if this is not normal from where could that voltage could be less.