NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 14 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    This car will obviously lower in cost than the SF90.

How they manage to be more powerful than the F8 it replaces will be interesting.

Assuming a V6 smaller displacement.

To bad it wont have the POWERFUL 2 liter 3 cylinder of the KOENIGSEGG'S GEMERA. Now that's one hell of an engine. To bad the car is Meh IMO

paulchua likes this.
  2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Not saying V6 sounds great but will be far sight better than any 3cyl

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    True but that 3 cylinder 2 liter boy oh boy packs a punch 600 Hp . Piston speed is the same as a F1 car. Immense amount of Technology.

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    albert lp quoted that the upcoming ferrari v6 could pack 700/<700hp without any assistance..

F2003-GA, MANDALAY and F142George like this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I recently bought a Raptor with the twin turbo V6. It doesn't sound like a V8 but it sure does work well. I got the SWB SuperCab and the performance is amazing.

These are just the times we're in. Screaming exhaust notes are out, but mechanical efficiency is in.

F2003-GA, paulchua and MANDALAY like this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Cant see the Ferrari matching the power of the KOENIGSEGG'S GEMERA.

dustman likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe it's a V6 hybrid right? That's my guess on how to get more then 720

600 from the ICE, 200ish from the electrical motors = ~800?

F2003-GA and Doug23 like this.
  8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Bear in mind that the quoted figure is with E85 fuel. The Jesko is also quoted at 1600 PS, which is about 1200 running on petrol.

MANDALAY likes this.
  9. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Yes, it's obviously a V6 hybrid. However the rumours suggested that the ICE alone has over 700 CV.

MANDALAY, F2003-GA and G. Pepper like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Im sure the Ferrari engine alone will get close to 700 but it would be at least a 3.6 liter engine IMO. They definitely will be playing with the boost.

The KOENIGSEGG'S GEMERA engine not only plays with the boost 29 pounds ! but employs new engine management technology with hydraulic valves as opposed to cam shafts. This definitely would increase costs dramatically and wouldn't see it in LB given the SF90 is devoid of any such method.

But they new La Ferrari needs something more in the mechanics than the SF90 to set it apart as the Halo.

11. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019
    #336 Ale55andr0, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020

-600hp only with E85...(like any other koenigsegg model..)

-..and with what ACTUAL reliability? do you really think that you can use a 3cyl/2000cc with 300hp per liter daily like any "normal" GT like Ferrari, Porsche etc?

Zadoc Rb Gibbs and F2003-GA like this.
  12. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019

I wonder towards which displacement Ferrari will move. With "only" 3l/V6 to reach 700 hp the specific power is about 233hp per liter. Imho appear too high for a "domesticated" car that is designed to be used even every day. Maybe the LB will have a 3.5-3.6 liters V6 (something more similar to the Porsche), who knows :).
    I also wonder when they will decide to use the patented electric turbo ...

13. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Question about displacement will be interesting among many other question marks. What we think to know so far regarding the upcoming V6 suggests that it will be a way more exotic and special engine compared to the current V8. So for me the most interesting question remains what the engine product strategy behind looks like. In some way it makes sense because the LB shouldn’t just be downgraded, lower market segment version of the SF90 Stradale. It should define its own uniqueness with a different value proposition beyond just lower price and power. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

14. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Christian von koenigsegg is just a showman

SVR and F2003-GA like this.
  15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Just don't understand how come a 2 million hyper car came in for comparison with a 300k sports car ??

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I'm hoping they'll further minimize body rigidity on the spider version
    To me its more about the driving experience then outright horsepower

red passion and G. Pepper like this.
  17. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Perhaps it will be only RWD rather than AWD like the SF90. I believe it previously mentioned that LB will be focused on the driving experience rather than performance metrics and lap times, so a RWD (relatively) light weight 700hp+ car would make sense. Wonder if Ferrari is taking the 720S, 765LT or it’s replacement as the LBs main competitor or will the focus be the Huracan’s successor?

18. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    A carbon tub would be good point to start with.

19. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    They didn’t do that for the SF90 (an entire carbon tub) so I don’t see them doing it for the LB. Maybe an iteration of the SF90’s chassis. Again I don’t have any insider information about the car so I could be entirely wrong (and hope so).

Doug23 likes this.
  20. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I fear you might be right. However, it would help the LB to differentiate and not just being a “lesser” car.

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I not suggesting a comparison at all. But rather the Tech they are employing to down size their engine.

22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    OK cool

23. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Trouble is, if they do give LB a fully carbon tub, then it becomes more sophisticated than BB, the more expensive car, which wouldn’t make a lot of sense.

Honestly I’m just ready to see what is next for Ferrari and I hope this COVID19 ordeal doesn’t push it back too far.

F2003-GA likes this.
  24. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I see where you’re coming from and I kind of agree with that point of view.

However one consideration is the impact of timing. The LB will be released several years after the SF90 which could allow for the application of more sophisticated materials.

Other than that I think we already had a similar situation with Ferrari and Alfa Romeo being in the same group. I made even less sense that in same group a supercar of a luxury brand didn’t get a full carbon tub and a much lower positioned sports car of a premium brand got a hand-layered full carbon tub. That really bothered me at the time and still does today when I am thinking about it.

9nb likes this.
  25. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    That’s a great point, I hadn’t taken the 4C into consideration. I hope you’re right and we see a no holds barred car from Ferrari where they throw everything they‘ve got on it.