No F1? No problem | FerrariChat

No F1? No problem

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Apr 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO this is the big problem for F1 given the shutdown. I wonder if anyone would care if they restarted the season in July/ August. Some will, but how many others will just not care

We are getting use to a lot of things. One of them may be -- we just don't care anymore.

SimCity3, sammysaber and william like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think if this happened last year with Ferrari looking strong in winter testing...more people would care, even non-Ferrari fans. People just want to see a fight.

This year it's looking like Mercedes would walk away with it again. The only one upset truly are the elton fanboys.

This is like Mike Tyson vs a learning disabled one armed ginger kid. Who really wants to see that?

polishhammer83, stavura and SimCity3 like this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I think you are completely correct. What are we missing. Nothing really. We will find other ways to spend our time or drift to other series etc. The world is larger than F1. The longer it goes the more apparent yes?

william likes this.
  4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, we can live without Formula 1 and without chocolate, but if I can choose, I prefer to have them.

lorenzobandini, 375+ and DF1 like this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Chocolate is definitely more important though ;)

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Missing the season ? No, not really, but the decay of interest in F1 came well before COVID-19.

I’m thinking the 2021 season likely owes a Magnum of champagne and a debt of gratitude to COVID-19 by wiping out the 2020 season. It was shaping up on paper to be an almighty yawn.

7. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That is if 2020 doesn't train fans to simply ignore the sport...

Isobel and william like this.
  8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Frankly, I rather see then rerun races the 90's or early 2000. Either way we pretty much know the outcome.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Say it isn't so---------Say it isn't so...........

10. DF1

A shock for many :)

11. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The Mayor put his finger on something that has economists worried. It is called "demand destruction." Quarantine and an enforced radical change in habits changed a nation's demand more and more as time goes by. The longer the enforced change, the more demand is destroyed. "V"-shaped economic recoveries need demand to be strong and fresh. Pent up demand has a shelf life that has a range depending on the demand. Some things that are necessities have a long demand shelf life. Things that are trivial or merely entertaining have a shorter shelf life. F1 is likely in the latter camp for many, many fans may realize that it is something that they can do without. Quite unlike bourbon.

tifosi12 and william like this.
  12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

People will use Covid-19 to reset their lifestyle perhaps?
    One thing is sure: it's a turning point and some aspects of life will change for ever.

ricksb and Simon^2 like this.
  13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Yes, and the noise in person was breathtaking!

vinny84, stavura, Sharknose and 4 others like this.
  14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It seems to me that the big difference between Covid19 and an all out war is not the number of people who will <still> die, but that the infrastructure is not destroyed along with the lives unlived.

15. DF1

william likes this.
  16. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Some industries will be totally shell shocked.

I love movies but don’t see hitting the theaters any time soon...

uber... nope

F1 racing at an event. Nope.

definitely huge changes in effect until a vaccine and then some.

Robb

Isobel and william like this.
  17. bakes17

bakes17 Karting

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    2021 rule changes have been postponed a another year.
    However, this isn’t a bad thing as other teams were catching up with a Mercedes. Honda finally gave Redbull a decent engine and a Ferrari were faster than Mercedes on some tracks.
    It’s the law of diminishing returns. Mercedes can’t keep improving the same formula at the same rate so others are catching up.
    When there are totally new regs, who is likely to win the battle of being the best car? The teams with 1500 staff and biggest budgets or the small indies? It’s likely that the field spread will be even bigger when the rules change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    People have short memories. Spanish flu was worse. 500,000,000 infected, 50,000,000 dead. People move on, even if it takes a generation.

The fact is, the US blew it. There should have been a national shutdowns immediately, as Bill Gates stated for years. It would have stopped the spread cold in its tracks and had a shorter term and less deep effect on the economy with a V recover. But you know what? If the US had done that and it worked, limiting the number of cases to a number in the thousands, people would say it wasn't necessary. That's whats so effed up about things. If you take drastic action and stop it cold people would complain that those actions weren't necessary. If you under react, people will say you blew it. One way or the other, the people in charged are F'ed.

ricksb, Isobel and 375+ like this.
  19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I can see that argument go the other way: Once we have races we will all watch them. I know I will.

lorenzobandini, Isobel and DF1 like this.
  20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Ofcourse the real culprit here is China.
    Wet animal markets should be outlawed. Until they are China will continue exporting deadly viruses.
    The result of politicians pushing for globalisation has now backfired.
    A Chinese person eating an infected bat in Wuhan now screws the global economy and society.
    China knows this all too well

Isobel likes this.
  21. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

And China has reopened wet markets and a new resurgence of Covid-19 is again in you guessed it, China. Which brings to mind the definition of mental retardation." Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

SimCity3 and Isobel like this.
  22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Hopefully there are races run in 2020 so the smaller teams can keep afloat. I don't see the small teams surviving this otherwise if 2020 is cancelled unless Liberty bails them out.

william and Simon^2 like this.
  23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree and I don't see Liberty bailing out anybody.

william and Simon^2 like this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Less races means less income, but less income doesn't mean a lesser budget.
    If the teams get only 50% of their budgeted income, how can they afford the same payroll, the same running costs, the same overheads, etc ...
    Also, many sponsors will by then face their own problems, and reduce commitment to teams.
    This is going to be a very difficult year to survive, in F1, just like in other sectors of the economy.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think Liberty is awash with money that it can start supporting ailing teams.
    That's not the way business works.