Official Daytona Pics | Page 84 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Interesting I run on 98 (RON) with 5% ethanol here which I think is the equivalent of 93 on the US measurement and is supposed to have 5% ethanol. I also add some ethanol protection additive as well especially if I'm travelling and not sure what the quality of the fuel will be in the petrol station.

I used to use my local petrol station but I discovered they don't sell that much 98 and the fuel in their tanks may have contained water. Now I use a petrol station that is further away but right next door to a Bentley dealership so they sell a lot more 98 and the tanks are cleaned and stirred more regularly.

of2worlds and turbo-joe like this.
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    How do you manage long distance trips ? Do you map out the routes according to access for 110 at every fueling stops or ...?
    Just curious.
    I tend to use octane booster and lead additive instead, although I too would prefer high octane if it was more readily available and less costly.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ was there front end damage? previous accident?

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Ed, if you're referring to (my) photos/posts #2078 or #2079 (two different vehicles), yes on both. Just like most of them, one had very little, the other little more, but the work depicted in #2078 are merely "corrections" of originally (at Scagliettis ?) mis-aligned/-shaped bumper brackets, nothing more sinister than that.

P.S. Please give my warmest regards to M-A. I'm still blaming (or thanking ?) her for my ever increasing infatuation with the "Cadillacs" and although I've now become accustomed to my own invention/version of them, the "Eldorados", this closure of watering holes around the globe won't really help bartenders of the world to learn it as fast as I had hoped for. :)

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Edit:

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Four wheel drive 'UPGRADE' instead of 'front' wheel drive Eldorados?
    1967 Eldorado visually at least is a treat...

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Charles I think they are referring to adult beverages:eek:
    BTW I prefer the 68 Eldorado with the vertical turn signals in the front fenders;)

of2worlds and TTR like this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry, I'm referring to liquid, adult refreshments commonly known as Margaritas, which Eds better half introduced me to (I never used to care for mixed drinks, but now I am "inventor" of one).

Edit: see above ^

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    timo
    i could tell by the rod in the bumper brackets that the bumpers were being aligned. was curious as to accident correction or factory correction.
    im on the fence re if we should correct factory imperfections. the craftsmen were imperfect.
    the “cadillacs” were smooth.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #2087 TTR, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    I hear you and trust me, constantly struggle with the subject.

Yet, having discovered/observed and recorded so many “imperfections, or dare I say manufacturing defects/flaws, these cars appear to have been originally riddled with, not only coach/trim workwise, but apparently also mechanically, it is often very difficult line between “should I correct or leave it ?”.

Many of these “discoveries” seem so incomprehensible by today’s (restoration) expectations/standards and should they be taken seriously into consideration during judging using commonly recognized guidelines, IMO, 8 out of 10 (maybe more) currently known Platinum awarded examples would likely not earn such accolades, many not even by a long shot.

I can only imagine how much historical accuracy has been altered/erased/lost during many restorations, especially on examples subjected to multitude of them.
    At least I've attempted to keep records of any changes/corrections I've made.

Very much so... :)

readplays likes this.
  13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Timo

You are doing the right thing aligning the bumpers, it would take the smallest of knock to throw them out of line and a harder bash would see the corner of the bumpers denting the bodywork, that is why I can never understand when the cars are rebuilt they put the bumpers right up to the bodywork and not the 1” off as they should be, and it is also a pet peeve that they go to the trouble of doing all the work to repaint the car and are left with crooked bumpers, because they could not be bothered to straighten them. Ps I like your straightening tool. ;)

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The Spyder's brown color cloth top in the final picture must be a rare detail when most are simply black material.

readplays likes this.
  16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    colombo2cam likes this.
  17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Most I’ve seen have been silver, but as with many things (vintage) Ferrari, who knows... ? ;)

BTW, as per your earlier pics (#2073, etc), what happened to your lower valance blackouts ?

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    car received one repaint in the mid 90’s from its original dino blue metallic by a top pebble beach painter so i assume he duplicated what was there, but who knows. would like the see original valances from around 13800-14100 serial numbers. the early cars had minimal blackout.
    here you can see the front valance from the side.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

colombo2cam likes this.
  19. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Hi Timo,

Do you do anything to reinforce the nose when restoring a Daytona? To prevent it from 'cracking'?

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So, no pictures of the car in its original livery exist and the painter didn’t take any “before” shots “for-the-record” or reference either ?

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes.

22. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Ed,
    I have a set of NOS still in the Ferrari wrapper. I will take a look and post.

Edward 96GTS likes this.