Autostacker....anybody here have knowledge or experience? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Autostacker....anybody here have knowledge or experience?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Jack-the-lad, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't mean to derail your project. You could always cut our concrete and install footings that the Autostacker portion will bear on (~ 6,000 - 7,000 pounds).

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Kyle,

Can you provide the model designation of your lift? Thanks.

3. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    As another example, when I poured my floor underneath my four post lift, I had piers poured underneath. I did this because most newer homes around here have thin garage floors.

4. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
    I believe it is the HD9, about $3,600 on Bendpaks website.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
    Also, the weight of the lift is only ~1,700lbs. So even if you lift a 3,100lb car and park a 3,100lb under it you will have about 8,000lbs over a 120sqft area. Most 4in cement floors can handle that with no issues. For comparison, a Ford F-350 can weigh close to 8,000lbs.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Kyle. That’s very helpful.

7. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Actuallydon't want to be a real disrupter but when i reasearched the Auto StackerI didn't get favorable reviews about Bendpak and their srvice and parts record.
    more research led me to American Custom Lifts, which I ultimately has installed a 4post Mammoth -S lift with 8000lb capacity and the beauty of it is that it come with casters ,wheels that are easily attached to enable moving it around so as to eliminate bolting to your floor-love it so far.The only thing I had to do was raise my door tracks and remount the motor to a side mount just to ensure that most cars can be raised without issue.--2 current occupants are a 2009 Spyker C-* Spyder and a 1996 993 turbo.

8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks. I did some research too but didn’t find out anything negative about the Autostacker, but one installer I spoke with said BendPak is sometimes difficult to get parts from. I’d be very interested in any negatives you found about the Autostacker system, especially since it’s relatively new....and relatively expensive. One of my main interests is the smaller footprint that most four post lifts, and just the general reduction in visible presence.

I do plan to convert from ceiling mounted to wall mounted door motors and raise the tracks.

My concern about the ACL system you purchased would be the stability of an unanchored lift. I haven’t read about it yet, so maybe it will be obvious once I do that.

Thanks again.

Jack.

9. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Jack,by the time I pulled the trigger on my ACL iwas confident about it's stability.One advantage I may have is that my garage and floor is brand new and perfectly level.

10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Any updates on Autostacker? I am thinking about installing two.

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wish I had some information for you but in my remote area it’s difficult to find qualified people to do the installation. The manufacturer provided three names. One never returned my calls or responded to my emails. The second started out ok, even made a two hour round trip to do a site survey, agreed on a price.....then went dark on me. The third said he could do it, did a site survey, but then wanted 30% more than the second guy, plus $250 if the unit is shipped to his shop instead of my house.

Thecadster likes this.
  12. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Agree,and when i researched the Auto Stacker most installers,after they finally responded said that Bend Pak paid them a low amount of $$$ for warranty repairs and that parts can often slow to arrive.-That pushed me to instaal to the American Custom 4 Post lift.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. Netpark

Netpark Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2012
    Just installed the Autostacker today. My garage is small, measures 210 inches length 214 width.
    Autostackers come in two width sizes, 103 or 114 inches.

I could only fit one 103 inch width version for my garage. Right now I have a Mclaren 675LT on the top rack. Unfortunately I couldn’t fit my 458 Speciale in the bottom space. There is no space to open the door and get out. Also, the mirrors are too wide and will hit the cross beams.

I could however fit my 991.2 GT3 in the bottom space. If you’re installing one, try to push the autostacker as close to the front wall as possible, with the longest front overhang car you own. The 675LT happened to be that vehicle for me. This helps with opening the doors for the bottom car.

Also, don’t attach the yellow front stops. Your low cars won’t make it over. If you have an extremely low car, that’s lower than a 675LT, you’ll need to add a 4 x 4 x 6 piece of wood on the top rack front wheels dip so you don’t bottom out. I just barely cleared. I also recommend covering the corners with packing material so you don’t get a concussion. See pics.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Ferrari2652 and Thecadster like this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks. That’s very helpful. Can you show us where you located the control panel? Is that it on the left side of the first picture?

About how long did the installation take?

15. Netpark

Netpark Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2012
    One more thing... buy a full length dress mirror and hang it horizontally on the front wall so you can see yourself driving up. Helps with seeing how close you are from each side. I just ordered one.

JackCongo likes this.
  16. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Love your cars.But no sure if you're happy with your Autostacker-seems like you've settled.--?

17. Netpark

Netpark Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2012
    Did a fair amount of research. The Autostacker was probably the only lift that would fit in my garage. There's a number of improvements that I would have made if I helped design it.

When I'm trying to drive up the angled top ramp, my tires slip and actually spin if I don't get enough momentum. Rubber strips on the steel in those areas would have been helpful. I may have to do it myself. Corner rubber head protectors and acrylic mirrored tiles that stick to the front wall would have been a nice touch or option.

It's always a compromise when buying an off the shelf item, but I felt I made the best decision I could for the small garage space. If I had a bigger garage, I may have chose something else. Minimal maintenance on this is every 18 months but I haven't had time to delve into the manual so don't know what that entails.

Also, the wider width autostacker (114 inch) would probably have accommodated my Performante or Speciale but don't know till I try it.

Here's some dimension info.
    https://www.autostacker.com/media/downloads/Ceiling-Height-Calculator-Six-Safety-Locks-Autostacker.xlsx

energy88 likes this.
  18. Netpark

Netpark Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2012
    Installation took 4 hours in total with me giving input. I suggest you are there the whole time for questions and placing it exactly where you want it. If you have a tight garage, you should make all measurements of the garage and your cars before the first call to place the order.

Fredy from Master Auto Lift in the Los Angeles area made sure we got the lift exactly where we wanted it. They were excellent. 3 guys came with a crane. It helps if you are there during the install for questions that come up and for you to place the cars onto the ramp and underneath. Fredy and team were very patient to make sure the fit inside the garage was just right. Also, make sure your garage has at least 4 inches of concrete foundation. Weighs about 3,500 lbs and then add the who cars weights. You'll be around 10,000 lbs. Most homes per building code in the LA area are 4 inches minimum. They will be drilling in bolts, but the Autostacker is transferable to your next house if need be.

One thing bendpak didn't tell me is that I need my own electrician to make a plug out of the loose wires for AC current. You can get autostacker in 110v or 220v (same price but electrician needs to configure house panel). 220v is 2x faster going up but for my purposes which only go up to the 2nd locking position 110v was fine. Takes about a minute. If you have an SUV underneath and need to take it higher, 220v may be for you.
    Take a sharpie and draw in the bottom slider where the maximum height should go. That will help you not hit your car to the ceiling. You'll need to go past the locking position by almost a full position and go back down to lock. (See pic)

The control box is behind the Performante under the shelving.

Best,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari2652 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  19. Netpark

Netpark Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2012
    I forgot to mention something very important. Before the install guys come out, you'll need to make sure you've got enough height clearance with the garage door railing. Fredy, my install guy came out a week before the actual installation to do an inspection.
    I had to lift it an additional foot and install a new side wall mounted garage door opener. The plus side is with the new technology that comes with my new opener (myQ+) I get to control my garage door from anywhere in the world and know if it's open or closed with notifications. Some of you may already have this feature in your garage door opener and not know it. Found out I had it in my other two houses and never used it. Now I do.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you. That’s all very helpful.

I have done or am doing a few of the steps you mentioned: precise measurements, checking floor thickness, checking for level, converting to wall mounted door motors, etc.

I have a bit of an advantage in that our garage is about 600sf, so a little larger than a standard 2-car.

I still might go with a four post given the difference in complexity and price, but I really like the concept of the Autostacker. As you can see from the date of this thread I’ve been researching this for a while!

If anything else comes to mind, please post it. This is very valuable.

Jack.

21. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Makes sense-you did what you had to do.

22. Netpark

Netpark Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2012

Attached Files:

23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    luvair likes this.
  24. umwolverines1993

Mar 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    joe s
    just came across these posts because started to look at the Atuo Stacker - now that it's been 6 mos or so, how do you like it? would you still make the same decision on installing it? I would like to put in two lifts side by side in our garage. joists at 9ft for platform above so may need to raise them and certainly raise the garage tracks. Anyway, any feedback now that you've had it appreciated.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The thread is nearly three years old and I still haven’t pulled the trigger but I’ve just about eliminated the autostacker because if a lack of real world experience. I’ve had installers tell me they won’t do warranty work because parts are scarce and BendPak is slow to reimburse.

I would love to hear some experiences, both good and bad.