How can I increase my 458 Ferrari HP? | FerrariChat

How can I increase my 458 Ferrari HP?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by W.J., Mar 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones
    I own a Ferrari 458 Italia. I’m looking to increase the HP. Any ideas on what to do without breaking the bank?

Thanks

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I’m at a loss as to why you would need to, 560hp isn’t enough hahaha. Turn the Manetino to the 3rd race setting and jump on it, the 458 is pretty hard to control as it is because of the available power. The nanny aids in the lower settings aren’t going to let you use it anyway(more power) Anyway, aftermarket headers and exhaust would be the easiest but you aren’t going to gain much, those folks claim around 30 to 40 hp but your looking at 10 grand to start.

3. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones

Good points! I will look into that.
    And I know this machine has a lot of power. I was just curious about other options to increase the HP. I seen one for sale that was pushing over 700 HP. But he also had a Turbocharger that cost close to 50k. No way would I spend 50k. It’s not that serious. lol

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Add a wing.. ;)

Personally I'd consider optimizing the engine tune. Otherwise on a Ferrari you pay for power..

W.J. likes this.
  5. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones

I actually just ordered a wing! I did it more for looks. I didn't know it could help out with speed! But thats good to know.

I will also look at adding a chip because as you mentioned, It will cost a lot to supercharge this ride. Although it adds 100+ HP. It still runs $25k to 50k from what I'm hearing.

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Don’t ruin the car, if you add power, you have to start thinking along the lines of upgrading suspension, brakes, other systems. You may damage gearboxes and other parts. If you have unlimited funds, great, but you said you don’t want to break the bank, so the likelihood is you’ll do one or two things max, and ignore three or four essential changes, and in six months..... bang bang engine..... don’t do it, race mode is far more than most standard drivers can really use at the limit. Once you can dance on the limit there and not spin into the reeds, then you have earned the right to add more power!

docf, Graz, PhilNotHill and 5 others like this.
  7. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones

Good points!
    I plan on testing out some of the other track modes once the streets warm up. As of now, I have only used the modes that keeps the traction control on. I would assume the track modes will add more power?

daytona355 likes this.
  8. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  9. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Looks like you've already got the wing and the big rims covered.

Add a racing stripe, that's good for +10HP.

Then add some legit stickers, that's another +5HP.

Finally add an asymmetrical air intake, that'll be good for another +25HP!

350MH83, Tamahal, m5shiv and 9 others like this.
  10. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    You forgot neon. Neon in the fenderwells is another easy 25hp. Under the rockers is another 10hp bump on top of that.

And maybe some NAWWWWZZZZ!!! to top it off.

Tamahal, epb0 and W.J. like this.
  11. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones

HAHA! It's all on order!

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I didn’t really detect extra power, as far as I could tell, the 458 software is designed to always have maximum power, but the driving mode, and slip to the wheels etc, determine the level of intervention, so it is more difficult to access full power in higher gears when the weather is inclement. The speed and acceleration is still there, but traction control limits it when the slip appears and of course, this has an effect on acceleration and overall speed at which you can travel as it could take longer to get to the very highest speeds and you’d need longer straights.

W.J. likes this.
  13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    NA cars are not easy to gain power, but there is a company called open flash tuning that offers a handheld tuner for the 458. There is even a write up in Autoweek about the 458 with their tune. The good thing about their unit is that it stores the stock info on the tablet and you can flash back to it when you want. I have used open flash with another car and was pleased with the results. There are others way to gain power by lowering weight, wheels make a difference but the open flash tablet is probably the way I'd go.

Dolcevita and W.J. like this.
  14. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones

Thanks for the info! I'm calling them today!

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Trade it in for a 488..

2006m5, epb0, pdxjim488 and 9 others like this.
  16. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones

I like the body style on the 458 better. Plus its 100k cheaper lol

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The price delta for like for like here in England is more like 40-50% and narrowing all the time.

The 488 is basically a massively more powerful (though for me less fun) 458, as retuned by Ferrari, so seems like the ultimate answer to the question. Also you can tune 488s for massively more power easily as they are turbos.

Fair enough re the looks though most people would find it hard to tell the difference..

But a 458 as you own it is very close to the perfect car..and I see what you mean. Keep its perfection but add a bit of power. DMS in the U.K. has a program and they are well regarded, they chipped one of my cars but not tried them on a Ferrari.

daytona355 and W.J. like this.
  18. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The Autoweek article is interesting.

https://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/we-drive-openflash-ferrari

W.J. likes this.
  19. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The real question here is what are you trying to accomplish?

Straight line speed? A wing will kill that unless you dramatically lower the front end and create a huge diffuser channel under the floor. It will make it nearly undriveable on the street though.

Lap time? Sure, a wing might help with high speed cornering, but will unbalance the car everywhere else unless you spend a lot of time balancing the suspension and aero.

Quarter mile times? Low end torque is not this car’s forte. Maybe a Kevlar clutch and launch control can get you near where you want to be, but plan on swapping that clutch regularly, and replacing a few cracked gears now and then.

HP bragging rights at the local Cars And Coffee? Save your money. Bolt on a few chrome and carbon fiber bits, doctor up a dyno read out and have at it.

If you just want the personal satisfaction of having the highest horsepower car on the block, go buy a Viper and please don’t molest a Ferrari.

My $0.02 for what it’s worth.

Gullwing, JL350, gabf1 and 3 others like this.
  20. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones

Good Info! Funny you mentioned local Cars & Coffee. I just went to one last week. Raced a GTR and he got me off the line. Like you mentioned, this car is not built for the Quarter mile. I also had it in sport mode becasue the ground was still cold. I'm sure that played a role. If I do anything I will just add a tuner. I can always take it back to the original settings if needed. The wing would be nothing more then for looks.

21. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If I can ask you to do me one favor, please post your VIN.

I’m probably going to add a 458 in the next couple of years, and I want to be sure I don’t buy yours.

Thanks!

22. W.J.

W.J. Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Warren Jones

HAHA... Don't worry... I have 2 buyers waiting for me to sell. And they want to add a Supercharger... Some people want to roll Stock and some people don't. I plan on having some extra fun with my cars. Always have and always will...

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The 458 gains almost 100 HP from 100ºF to 0ºF so you simply need to find a place near sea level where it never gets over 0ºF!

W.J. likes this.
  24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    There is no right or wrong answer here, but when you have been taking cars apart as long as have (and as many as I have), it is just what you do. I just finished adding over 115 (or TQ & HP) and an exhaust to my Calf T, and it feels like a totally different car. I can control the power via bluetooth connection so I don't use it all, all the time. Yes, no one needs more than 560hp on the street, but then again no one really needs a Ferrari either. To me cars are adult tinker toys, yesterday I bought a set of Porsche Champion wheels (front weight 19lbs rears 20lbs), and I am not even sure which Porsche I'm going to put them on yet, but I just cannot resist a good deal. I have taken apart brand new cars, turned AWD to RWD and I have designed over 500 parts for cars over the years. In the end I could care less what something is worth to someone else down the road I only care what it is worth to me today. In most cases a stock car would be worth nothing to me so I would not even bother to own it..

APA#1, CohassetJoe and W.J. like this.
  25. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    I saw a GTR the other day in San Diego. This thing was amazing it had over 1000 HP, flames coming out of the back- but looked stock...I chatted with the owner for a bit.... he had larger turbos, 3" titanium pipes straight back, pistons and rings upgraded. This thing will take most motorcycles - let alone Ferrari's. What is the benefit and purpose of trying to compete with this kind of accessorizing at 10% of the cost of doing the same thing to a Ferrari and having it cost you in the kinds of repairs in the future - or the next owner.... In the end there is a seat for every driver.....if the 1/4 mile means that much then it does.

020147, BMW.SauberF1Team and W.J. like this.