New Lusso Owner Impressions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Lusso Owner Impressions

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by dustman, Mar 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thank you. I enjoy sharing impressions so others may benefit/disagree/share.

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Regarding interiors, you are correct not 20 years. You get my point though.
    As someone who has been in both and owns Lusso, and watched every conceivable video review multiple times that I could find in English, the Lusso interior is light years on vs the FF. Take their word....

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I enjoyed my FF. The Lusso is better in every way to me though - I have 10k miles in each. Sound is absolutely not worse, unless you are talking about the intentionally quieter startup. Both cars have double-glazed windows and lots of interior sound deadening. It’s very difficult to tell sound difference between them. Looks are personal taste, FF more distinctive, Lusso more polished and resolved IMHO. Both wonderful cars.

uhn2000 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The sound is absolutely not as good stock one the lusso...
    As far as the interior, it’s nice but I like my s63coupe better in every way including the tech BUT for a fun drive that makes me feel special I take the ff for sure.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions;))) all welcomes and respected;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    My 2015 last edition FF was fantastic and after 15,500 miles in 11 months up and down Italy and through Germany I was convinced it was a keeper despite a few minor niggles.

At the Lusso launch at Como I preferred the shape of the FF to the Lusso and felt relieved that my wallet was safe for the time being but after a drive in one it was obvious that for my type of usage (Continental Touring rather than weekend blasts or track outings) the Lusso was the future albeit I still preferred the bonnet shape of the FF.

After 16,000 miles the Lusso has loosened up nicely and the engine spools up with more vigour than the FF, the Lusso feels more planted at very high speed, the gearbox is more intuitive, the rear wheel steering is a hoot on mountain passes, The interior feels less hand made but more efficient, the car IS quieter in normal mode where the valves don't open on a whim as they did in the FF but in Sport the noise is as loud and more turbine like in nature.

Overall I would say the Lusso does feel like the next generation compared to the FF but if the Lusso didn't exist I would have kept the FF without a doubt and loved it.

-K1-, Maloja, Caeruleus11 and 5 others like this.
  6. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Thanks for write up--it keeps calling me to check V12 box. In next 120 days I'll see where market is and snap one if found right.

Enjoy her.

Caeruleus11, Gh21631 and dustman like this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I didn't like the FF. I found it too harsh as a more frequent use car, and not special enough to be a special car. So I sold it.

Love the Lusso, the right balance of attributes. They nailed it! And its a car you can seriously hustle. I think I would be faster on real world roads than F12, and possibly than in 812, though the 812 would just eat you up once the road becomes straight.

uhn2000, Maloja and dustman like this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

How could u be faster on real road words with a FF that’s bigger and wider and slower than a f12 though?;)

9. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    hehe. :) I think I would feel faster in the F12. But I would be faster in the GTC4. Its a stunningly good car and while I loved my F12, I actually enjoy the GTC4 more because its more well rounded. Then you have the 812 which is a total hooligan and is really as close as you will ever get to mid engine attitude in a front engine car. I cannot believe how good that car is.

10. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    On a damp Stelvio my Lusso had to keep easing off the gas behind an F12 which couldn’t put the power down but when I was in front the corners were the best bits. 2nd and 3rd gears with 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steer made life easy where as my rear view mirror was full of a sideways on opposite lock F12.

350MH83 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I went against the odds...went FF, while it cost me Lusso money :confused:

Not always the best car wins in the equation...I drove a Lusso, and it is massively impressive...great car, and probably a next upgrade.

However, I remember the first time I saw an FF in 2012 and was so impressed with its prominence and price tag. Ferrari ownership was still a dream...different phase of my career. If one day....

I also own an F12...and my OCD likes to have 'similar car' for DD...it feels more like a pair FF & F12. If I would get a Lusso...I would feel the need to also upgrade to 812...

I started searching for Lusso T, but was offered a 2000 miles 2015 Tailor Made Made FF off market....and its just beautiful, fell in love with it.

I like the 'rawness' and 'first iteration attempt' of the FF...it also feels very raw, and slightly unpolished, but so impressive. So my money went to FF. No regrets. Interior still very very beautiful!

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    FF is more the ferrari that i connect with...im a pre 2012 guy....lusso felt too much like a sedan/suv. Does everything too perfectly and too soft for me.

13. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    can you post photos of it? I’d love to see what tailor made have done with your FF...

14. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    Great thread and write ups guys.
    I test drove a Lusso T with the dealer locally, and was surprisingly impressed by it. Really loved it. Then watched all these videos and everyone said the V12 is the one to get, and its more special feeling. They also say the T is more nimble and fun.
    So went up to Newport Beach with the family (wife, and sons 13 & 15), to test the V12 and T back to back. They let me take them out for an hour each with the family and no salesman. Took the V12 first. Was blown away!!! So much so, that the T felt really lethargic and boring in comparison. Mentioned that to the sales guy and he was like "duh?". I am kind of all over the place for my next car. I have as my DD a P100D Tesla model S and a 2018 Raptor that has been built for serious offroading.
    I am between the F12, 458 spider, or Lusso. Kind of crazy to consider the 3 different cars, I know. Since the country is on shutdown, its a good time to wait and see how I feel later and what the prices would be like.

uhn2000, Caeruleus11 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I have P100DLudi and the V12 Lusso. I may move on from the Lusso already, looking at getting another 458 spider. I now feel no need to get an 812 or F12. Nothing like mid engine and that NA V8 wail (except Lambo engines but thats a different topic!)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Congratulations, enjoy in excellent health! Awesome spec!!

17. BATM4N

BATM4N Rookie

Oct 12, 2013
    I picked up my V12 Lusso 6 weeks ago with Bordeaux interior. Very happy with it and with X pipe and sports cats, it just sings. Much more sensible and lockdown friendly to drive into work. Have a F12 with a few mods to compliment it but its making way for a few more 2dr v12s

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    The overall usefulness of the tesla with its autopilot, uncomparable acceleration, driving dynamics and more, it's hard to justify another DD. I can see why a Lusso V12 would be more fun in some ways. Just not sure when that would wear off and I would wish I got something much more different and special like the mid engine V8 for weekend eventful driving. I have time to figure it out. Love these threads to help figure things out or cause me more confusion.

19. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Suggest for you either 458 (I prefer the coupe but you are in SD with smooth roads and sunny days) or an 812 (more expensive but so much more fun than F12). Im afraid the 458 might feel a bit slow compared to what you are used to, but you have to really rev it out and it will provide its own kind of excitement. 458 is a very fun and playful car that is very endearing. 812 is the closest they've gotten with the V12. The speed at which it can rev is like that of a tiny engine, yet it is a massive 6.5l V12 and it is sooooo smooth.

wrs likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I've had a 458, 458 spider and a Speciale. All 3 are plenty quick enough. I dont need to own the quickest car anymore.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

I agree each car is fun and quick enough

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Swapped my ff for my 355 earlier- any of the mid engines compliment the ff!

23. Natkingcolebasket69

U have the best cars!

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  25. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    I am at a point that actual power and speed is not all that important. I want it to feel special and fun for a long time without having to exceed the speed limit for it to feel special. If I got another maclaren or 488, I would be ready to sell it after a month or so. Cause the newness would wear off. It took many cars and a few years with each of them for the fun to wear off. But after having so many and experiencing so much with all of them (taken most of them to many track days). The Scud would be perfect if it wasn't so raw and crazy. I had one for a year and it was the only car I would run downstair at 4am like a kid on Xmas morning to take it for a drive. But thats all it was good for. No nice drives with the wife, or date nights or drive up the coast. I want something that has both characteristics. I think the 458 spider would fit the bill the most. I am very intrigued by the 812, even though I think the F12 looks better. The sales guy said he didn't think the 488 was 100k better than the 458, but he did think the 812 was 100k better than the F12. I think the prices might come down to under 300k from this pandemic. Will wait and see...

Caeruleus11 likes this.