Educate me on PPF, Ceramic coating and Paint Correction | FerrariChat

Educate me on PPF, Ceramic coating and Paint Correction

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Ok so I know there are a lot of threads on these subjects but I’m trying to decide if I need to do all of these?

Plus’s and Minus’s?

Anything you can put on the wheels to protect the finish?

Typical cost?

2. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    In the process of deciding what to do for an 812 and Pista. I've been told paint correction is unnecessary if you're getting PPF over it. I may still do it, just because...Ceramic seems to be worth it, especially in keeping the car clean.

3. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Not sure who told you this, but a proper paint correction is required prior to PPF because all the defects will be trapped under the PPF and the surface needs to be properly prepared for PPF. They may not be as well seen, but they will be there. My plan and what most do is full paint correction as required (one or sometimes two stages), wrap entire car in PPF, and then ceramic coat over the PPF.

Ck10022, geochin, dhari and 10 others like this.
  4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

^^^^^^^
    What Rob said. Exactly. Best , Kirk

dhari likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Couldn't be further from the truth. Whats the concern of a factory sanding mark if you cant see it? Also, get a film that's already coated. There is so much BS out there.

6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is spot on and is exactly what I did.

Cigarzman likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    so my 488 was just clear bra placed. No paint correction, no ceramic coated.

my Pista is corrected, clear bra and coated.

Difference is night and day.

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #8 Gh21631, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Its really not, trust me. Sometimes people feel good about spending money they dont need to. I mentioned a while back that I opened up a performance and restyling shop mostly because Ive always wanted to. Yes I am biased but my guys that do the work are incredible. Not just in their workmanship but their knowledge and experience. We are now the #1 shop in the DC area for a reason. Many people here know me and our work and in fact bring their cars to us. Personally, I dont make any money - its just fun for me and I can store some of my cars there. :) Anyways, we have body panels where we show people the before and after with PPF, its always the same. In fact it's so incredible that you can leave a wet sanded car unrepaired and still not know it. With this said if people want to pay us after we educate them we will take their money.

PTG1 likes this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Likely the type of film used.

10. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Two reputable PPF installers said not to waste the money on paint correction. I plan to do it in case, but just relaying what they told me.

PTG1 and Gh21631 like this.
  11. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Never heard that before, to me it makes sense to start with the cleanest, defect free canvas to start with. Sounds like you may get the desired results without it... YMMV

Thecadster likes this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Believe me, if it made a difference I would have all of my cars paint corrected before PPF. Its essentially free for me. :)

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #13 Gh21631, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    The car needs to be thoroughly cleaned but that's about it. Now if you have been driving your car for 2 years and there is tar, bird crap, etc baked in that's another story.

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Fair enough. You would obviously know better than me. But I’m very happy with my results.

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    And that's all that matters. I am just providing a public announcement for anyone who might not be sure what the deal is. Obviously nothing to gain or lose.

gzachary and SoCal to az like this.
  16. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I figure with about $50k in paint on the Pista, I want it to be the best possible that I can get. A light correction on a brand new car and full PPF with ceramic.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The fit and finish of the paint and some other areas on the Pista are not ideal. With a good eye you will find some sand marks and other things. On mine I even had to have the inner door panel adjusted. Just little stuff that's dare I say McLaren like. For the most part though it is solid and and feels it. I will be finally driving mine this week after having it stored for a bit.

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    So now I’m more confused. Some saying you need paint correction and others saying no?

PPF is a given, possibly ceramic but now I’m not sure on Paint Correction.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Save your money just do PPF, use a material that's already coated such as STEK. I guarantee your happiness.

PTG1 likes this.
  20. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Average cost for PPF for a car the size of the F8?

21. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Factory paint is far from perfect. This is not a Ferrari thing, it’s every car. Why would you spend thousands on PPF without first perfecting the paint? Absolutely true that it is harder to see the defects through the PPF simply because the light is diffused and most imperfections are only visible under direct light, but they are still there. Plenty of YouTube videos on paint correction, the difference is night and day. Do both, you’ll sleep better at night. Ceramic can then be applied to the PPF (or in most cases on cars without PPF). The purpose of ceramic is twofold: it protects the hours of paint correction you just performed for months or years depending upon how many coats, and also it makes the paint hydrophobic and more averse to dirt and road grime adhering, and thus makes the car easier to wash clean. When used atop PPF the first purpose is moot since the PPF is providing a much higher level of protection and also provides damage protection where ceramic really doesn’t. Putting PPF atop a car that hasn’t had paint correction will save you $ but no way I’d do it personally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chizz and Thecadster like this.
  22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Depends on where you are but roughly 8 to 10k for the entire car.

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Why not?

24. ScudLife

ScudLife Karting

Nov 19, 2012
    SoCal
    Most paint corrections cannot be seen thru the film unless it is a large defect. I don't think most people realize a PPF is actually temporary. Only lasts about 5-7 years before it basically starts looking terrible IMO. Obviously that depends on if you actually drive your car or not. Gh21631 is saying the film hides any defects so why bother messing with it. The thicker the surface the better when it comes to removing the film. At that time you may choose no film or to reapply one. A paint correction can always be done at that point if your going without a film.

PTG1 and Gh21631 like this.
  25. I think paint correction makes a difference, but personally (and this is just me), I think the difference is quite negligible. And more importantly, the costs of paint correction for the very slight difference simply doesn't justify the costs. Unless of course you (1) enjoy staring at your car with a magnifying glass before heading out to Cars & Coffee and/or (2) enjoy looking for every paint imperfection you can find during this Covid-19 lockdown -- both of which if true, I don't blame you. :D

That said, I would just personally get a PPF, and a nice ceramic coating and be done with it. You get the most bang for the buck. Protection from road rash and a nice glossy finish that beads water and easy to maintain.

Getting paint correction won't hurt but for the $$ to do it, you're really not going to notice any discernable or significant difference.

Gh21631 likes this.