430 - cheapest place to get oil change for 430 with my own oil? Los Angeles | FerrariChat

430 cheapest place to get oil change for 430 with my own oil? Los Angeles

Discussion in '360/430' started by goto35march, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    im in los angeles.

where is the best place to get oil change? I can get my own oil and filter. anyone in los angeles have a recomendation?

06 430 spider

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Do you have the correct tool to fit the new oil filter ?

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

don't you think its time for you to venture out to do this yourself?

4. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Would rather not do it myself

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Special tool for oil filter and a strap is no good

6. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Your garage and no special tool needed. If the old filter is too tight to get off, then you can use whatever necessary to loosen it (I have a strap wrench).

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    All that does is put a flat in the casing, the new one is marked to be torqued up to 30nm and the special tool fits the indents in the filter. I found out the hard way about a month ago- took it off with a strap and distorted the casing getting it off, this is the hill engineering tool for the job which will torque it up without damage to the casing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    What happened to the classic method of 3/4 turn by hand after the seal first makes contact? If not enough room for hand, Hill tool and socket wrench, 3/4 turn.

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  9. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Damaging the filter when removing it does not matter. You are tossing it anyway. If you lube the seal on the new filter and crush the filter casing during installation, no matter how you tightened it, you way over torqued it.

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Fair enough, mine had a leak on the seal ring after 800 miles ,and i put a flat on the cartridge getting it off with a strap, with it having a torque reading i went down the tool route. You sure are not going to torque it with a strap. Note that the Seal ring falls out very easy so a couple drops of superglue are a handy fix before u fit it

11. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’d want a place where it’s a dedicated oil change shop where the car is driven on the ground level and you can walk underneath and access the smugglers door easily.

and not drop the whole under panel and or jack the car up.

IMHO

12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Cheapest place?

Wouldn't that be more well suited for a Toyota than a Ferrari?

Dont you only mean "Best place to get oil change?" If not please list VIN so we know what car to avoid in the future plz.

dreichman and RANDY6005 like this.
  13. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Right, so you just bought yourself a F430... you have to decide if you’re going to work on it or not. If not, then buying your own oil:filter is not going to be worth the savings.
    Find a reputable Indy in your area if you don’t want to pay dealer prices.
    In absolutely no circumstances you would want to find a “place for an oil change” based on their price.
    It’s a straight forward procedure, even on a F430, but you want someone that has access to the service manual to do it right. You or a mechanic. A few extra $100’s will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    A few have come loose leaking oil and causing fire. The tool is cheap and the filter has the torque on it. It's easy to do right.

15. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    So that is something new? I guess since the filter is upside down, a leak problem does bump up the fire risk so specifying the torque is safer than the old 3/4 or one turn that was always represented on the filter with little pictures.
    Just looked at the Purflux 360 filter that I recently received from Ricambi for the now due fluids service and sure enough it is right there on the box as well as the filter so yes, looks like Ferrari put a number on the specs. I will check the degrees of rotation when it hits the proper torque number. Wonder if the 30nm torque click will be at the old 270 or full 360º turn?

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Can't remember how much rotation but it is tighter than I thought. Safe is good.

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Sell your Ferrari. You're welcome.

Michael B and ChipG like this.
  18. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    ouch lol. was trying to get the name of a good indy.

few places i called quoted me $900 for a oil service.

19. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    $900 for oil change? How can that be right? Are oil change fees like that happening in other areas of the country? I do not have a clue as I do all my own work and an oil change has to be one of the easiest things to do. But, in Kalifornia, there might be a $200 state oil disposal fee and a shop surcharge for working on anything other than a Tesla.

20. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Blackhorse on Robertson. Great Indy shop. He does a great job and pricing is more than fair.

21. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    thank you!

another place quoted $1900 for oil service which includes the filter cabin and engine filter change (which i can do. looks like a 5 mins job).

22. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    any shops in la let you bring your own oem parts and they charge you labor only? I used to do that for my aston and was great.

23. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    So it was $1900 for oil, oil filter, cabin filter and air filter change?
    If it was, that's straight up robbery.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    yes it was. and they quoted $4800 for brade rotor and pad job. I refuse to get ripped off!
    the other folks on this thread may not mind getting ripped off, but i do. Also for the rest of you telling me to tell the ferrari, id love to sell you this $2,000 ice. haha

25. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I just bought all the items to do my own. The total was around $250. I'll spend an hour under the car for that kind of savings.

$1900 is just stupid.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app