488 battery charger | FerrariChat

488 battery charger

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ho1105, Apr 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ho1105

Ho1105 Rookie

Nov 4, 2015
    Los Angeles
    For those that received 488, is the new battery charger similar to CTEK3300, and not the old 2 stage charger? Please advise.

2. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I am not familiar to the model you asked about, but I will say it is the friendliest one yet. It is about the size of a Quarter and magnetically mounts on the outside of the car in the license plate area. Doesn't get much better!

3. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    #3 rlips, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Brilliant, that's great, about time too, never been that happy about having to plug the thing inside the car & close the door on the cable ...much more useful & good to have an external charging point..thanks for the pics

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    agreed, looks like they've finally come into the 21st century
    that Mickey Mouse cable that ran through the doorcut was 'shade tree engineering' at it's finest

6. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Good think I read the instructions when I got mine. I would have spent a lot of time looking for it under the dash.

7. Ho1105

Ho1105 Rookie

Nov 4, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Great!! Thanks for the info. My 488 is coming in May/June and wanted to know if I had to get a better charger. This one looks more practical and it looks like CTEK US 4.2

8. Giallo77

Giallo77 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Switzerland
    Good charger - but try to use it with the cover on the car... no way! I had to slit the cover, what a shame!

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    are you kidding?
    can't use the cover with the charger?
    will wonders never cease?

10. Giallo77

Giallo77 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Switzerland
    #10 Giallo77, Apr 26, 2016
    no kidding - the cover is way to tight and will push the magnetic contact away... so you have to "create" an opening in the cover
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    :eek:

sadly, I guess these kinds of solutions shouldn't surprise me anymore.......at least snaking the cable through the doorcut is gone :)

12. Giallo77

Giallo77 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Switzerland
    #12 Giallo77, Apr 27, 2016
  13. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    I just attempted using mine... when I plug it into the 488 there is no lights that light up on the charger besides the green on/off light. And then after a while that light starts blinking. Am i doing something wrong?

14. mholifield

mholifield Rookie

Jun 25, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Holifield
    Appears to be the same charger and connector as on my 2016 Bentley Mulsanne Speed (with Ferrari markings of course, instead of Bentley). The hookup is much superior to the previous Ferrari charger and it's nice to have an exterior hookup. The very nice Bentley car cover has a clever, nicely tailored opening to accommodate the charger connector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    I figured it out. I had to wiggle the end that attached to the 488 and make sure it made a secure connection. My bad.

16. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    But is it as good as a full optioned CTEK ? Looks like another marketing opportunity to come up with this unique magnetic tender connector dongle wire like has been done with the 458, F12 special connector.

17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Where do you buy this other than the dealer?

18. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Maybe upholstery shop can install a groumet so it looks more custom and prevent the cut edges from fraying

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It is actually possible... but not really easy since it really WANTS to disconnect...
    And when eventually working with the cover in place, one must be very cautious not to touch anything.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Btw I wonder whether it would be possible to have the connector turned 1/4 of turn on the car; it would really help because then the cable would be parallel to the license plate instead of going out in a perpendicular direction.

21. commoneric

commoneric Rookie

Jul 31, 2015
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Common
    If anyone is selling any tenders I'm looking to barter for them, as well as I have some for sale too. By the way the new factory 488 tender connection is so cool lol :D like my mac for sure haha!

22. Joe Pientka

Joe Pientka Rookie

Jun 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joe Pientka
    I need to replace the end section of a 2017 Ferrari 488 spider battery conditioner. The tender is great but I failed to remove it and backed over magnetic end and would like to just replace the end. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

23. dudlow

dudlow Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    Surrey UK
    I did the same. The car will drive while connected. On the 430 the car won't start while connected.
    Needs a note to self on the steering wheel !

24. Daniel Viele

Daniel Viele Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Thomas Viele
    I think we are all thinking inside the box instead of asking why things are the way they are and how to improve them. Are there any circuits in the 458 that monitor this tending, or is it simply a direct wired connection to the battery with a dedicated plug under the passenger dash? I think the tender has the only active circuits. If that's the case, how about simply mounting a 488 magnetic connector under the front drivers wheel and connecting to the battery on the passenger side. Easy to snake the wire through the Frunk compartment, then the tender is right at the front drivers door where you can't miss it when you get in. All the other locations seem inconvenient or downright foolish. Any comments?