488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 11 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Sadly, so much wrong here. Don’t know where, or how, to even start.

SoCal to az and paulchua like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have my eye on another 458 and it will be my 3rd if it materializes. CS and F40 are also similar in clean no story ones are hard to find. 458s much easier to buy for obvious reasons.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #253 paulchua, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Did I move goalposts? Haha, It's your words, not mine:
    We give three examples that show the contrary, and your rebuttal is California, and Texas are not part of the US, and now in New York's case, it's because of financing.

Your response is an exposition into what I and many others have pointed out:

You have the habit of being the 'know-it-all' with false assertions. Then don't even have the integrity to acknowledge the many times you've been proven flat out wrong.

SoCal to az likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I could design one you would buy. Picture this one: 800HP NA V12 mid-engine, bolt action tranny, full carbon tub, and without any sound dampening.

tekaefixe and jim g like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I am 6’6” 255lbs and I have successfully fit in my Performante for over 29 months. I would not say I fit “comfortably”, but I have gone on numerous long day trips (twice to VIR and back from Charlotte). I am not comfortable in really any car. I just added a 2005 Ford GT and I think it might actually be worse than the Performante. My 812 fits me the best, but I would expect it to. At my size and build, I’m just d**n thankful that I can make these cars work. I would literally hate to be much taller/bigger. Sorry to derail the thread...back to the originally scheduled program.

6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Come on. Buy a 500k car and just swap the seats and wrap it. I mean, what could go wrong?

paulchua, johnr265 and Thecadster like this.
  7. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    OK, I know his reviews can be a bit annoying but checkout starting at 20:40 or so his comments of F8 vs Pista. I think it is really relevant.
    On paper, the F8 and Pista may be similar but it is a FEEL thing.

Along similar lines I have driven a few F12's and had the 'privilege' of driving an F12 TDF recently. You can certainly argue on paper there is little difference between the two but behind the the wheel, holy s*$T, the TDF is the most impressive assault on the senses I have ever been witness to and I have driven and ridden in Ferrari and Porsche full on race cars. The difference between the F12 and TDF behind the wheel was so absolutely spectacular and haunting that I will never forget that feeling it gave me. Is it worth 700k over the F12. Ask me when I can afford one;)!

8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I just shot water through my nose. Thanks.

paulchua, SoCal to az and johnr265 like this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    He actually wrote this:

"And how often are you staring at your passenger seat while driving? From a driver's seat perspective, the only colors that really matter are the dash and console."

paulchua and Thecadster like this.
  10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I truly hate to be an internet bully; and oddly, I actually think Mike is pretty bright. But just when I think the guy is working hard to assimilate, he drops that nonsense. I mean, it causes one to wonder if he has ever even been in a driver’s seat....

paulchua and SoCal to az like this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Doubtful. This is the same guy who was lecturing on why use paddles. Just drive in auto mode. So no, I dont think he has actually driven any of the cars he is an expert on.

paulchua and Thecadster like this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Expert...lol.

paulchua and SoCal to az like this.
  13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For me the comparison F12 / F12 TdF and Pista / F8 is not really appropriate.
    The F12 TdF is a truly different car - the body is reworked, the engine is highly modified, the rear wheel steering is introduced.
    On the other hand the F8 has been presented as a facelift of the 488 but it's closer to a facelift of the Pista: same engine (just adapted for the GPF), same body (only front and rear bumpers changed), slightly revised interior, and cosmetic changes to claim a more refined and less raw approach - but apart from the facelift, the differenciation is mostly artificial to have one car pretending to be track oriented and one pretending to be more "civilised".
    The fact that it's the F8 that has the lighter lexan rear window and the Pista the glass is just another indication the definitions for the cars are not really consistent.

14. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I understand what you're saying. Agreed that none are true track cars though there is significant excitement that happens behind the wheel of a Pista to simulate that feel. I have not driven the F8 but had a 488 for a year and I can attest the difference between the Pista and the 488 is every bit as dramatic a difference b/t F12 andTdF. It is a combination of lack of sound deadening, increased NVH, faster shift times, louder turbo whoosh, quicker ratio steering, and just a generally tighter feeling of hugging the road that creates that sensation. Also, for the record, the Pista does have a lexan rear window, just not the cool F40esque perforations.

I think they are all fantastic cars for the record. I loved my 488. I just find more to love with the Pista;). Also, the F8 in person is lovely so I've got nothing against it either. Big fan of the quad tailights and the tiered rear window look. I like the front of the Pista much better and find the Pista overall to have a chiseled yet curvey, Michelangelo type physique that never seems to grow old.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    These topics are an infinite loop. All the cars mentioned above are significantly more car that any of us can use on the street. Buy the one that gives you the best dollar adjusted butterflies. There is no right or wrong answer.

16. GoHardGT3RS

GoHardGT3RS Karting

Jan 1, 2015
    Germany
    Thanks for the news of the CCST rotors from Surface Transform Brakes. Are the specifically for the Pista and could you purchase them recently?

In February their European Sales Manager (I live in Germany) wrote to me that they don't have rotors for the Pista! He said that STB offered rotors in the aftermarket as a kind of "bridging solution" until they would get larger OE businesses which would the case since 1 year now....

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The 720 and I imagine the F8 will be very similar in that they will have stellar performance but are comfortable enough to daily. The 720 is one of my all time favorites, especially the spider. Now having an F12 as well it's nice to have the Pista and GT3 which are more track focused. Now I just need to get on a darn track.

jim g and Coincid like this.
  18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What's the US law on weed?

19. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What's wrong here?

You can't replace the seats?
    You don't like other people's opinion on color?
    You stare at your empty passenger seat when you drive?
    You don't think it could be wrapped?

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It depends, Federal, State?

If one were to say, "There is no US law that entitles you to buy and smoke weed."

Somebody responds, "in many States, you can."

An intellectually honest person would respond, "oh yeah, you're right, thanks for the correction."

You, however, respond with, "pointless, strange or mind-bogglingly dumb" or "what is the United States?"

Do you see the distinction?

You're doubling/tripling down on the semantics and engaging in mental gymnastics because, as I said, your psyche can't handle being wrong.

What boggles our minds is how you keep coming back with assertion after assertion (with great authority) when you're proven wrong on such a consistent basis?

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Because some people were talking about their country, maybe?

Was Shadowfax talking only about NSW?
    Was GTP1 talking only about Wales?

US law means federal. Why would it mean anything else?

I'm going to start running ads in my profile. I'd probably get a decent CPM with how often you follow my posts...

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Mike, you're a funny guy, I'll give you that. You're right, thank you, your posts are entertaining.
    :)

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They come direct from Surface Transform in the UK and I have been in contact with the m since January. As it is not finished yet, I suppose that's why their distributors don't know.
    We are currently working on the rears and will do test fit for the rears Monday.
    As far as the fronts go, it is very simple. The fronts are shared between the 458, 488, Pista and F8, so no such thing as Pista specific models. When the 488 and 812 was introduced, they switched to a new type of calipers. That means that the 488 and on uses a parking brake built into the rear caliper, whereas the 458 uses a drum brake system. So what we are currently figuring out, is the rotor hat for the rear. Monday we will try a 458 rear as the techs are 99% sure it will work. If not, the rears go back and they create a new set of hats. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in the CCST discs. I can give you the contact info. By monday I will know more about rear fitment.

Be aware that the 458 Pagid RSC pads sold by Surface Transform will not fit. You have to order pads from Pagid in Germany. I have the contact for this as well. RSC1 and RSC2 pads are available. You can of course also run the OE pads

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GoHardGT3RS and spyderman like this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  25. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa