Well, I think I screwed the pooch on tires. . . | FerrariChat

Well, I think I screwed the pooch on tires. . .

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Rule12b, Mar 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #1 Rule12b, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    So, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of 20's to replace the ridiculous 315/25-22/255/30/-21 stagger on our Cali T. Measured it all up myself and actually the wheels and tires fit perfectly. I went 20x9.5 +42 (255/35) front and 20x11.5 +45 (305/35) rear.

No rubbing, all looks good. Except I have fluid leaking out under the rear end after a drive which leads me to think I blew a diff seal (at best). Oil is clear, car drove fine, and I had no warnings popping up of any kind and no traction control issues at all. In fact the opposite as the rear end was finally hooking up with a decent set of new tires on. I'll put it up on ramps tomorrow and pull the undercover to get a better look. Here are some figures reading the rear diameters in play as well as the delta with the front:

Rear/front:
    Stock diameter: 708mm/680mm
    the 22/21's I removed: 716/686
    current: 722/687

I would think that if the delta was too great, I'd be getting warnings and/or the traction control would be going bonkers. I've looked up the deltas some other guys have according to their posts and it seems within spec. I'm wondering though if the rears just have too much diameter on them, period. Car looks and rides sooooo much better than it did. Hopefully the diff is intact and its just a bad seal but I just don't know. I don't really believe in coincidences. . .Sharing in case anyone has any insight (including if I'm just an idiot). . .Here's a pic of the car on the new shoes. . .

Attached Files:

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    What matters are the revolutions-per-mile figures for the tires. Your new tires are slightly taller than stock,but the ratios front-to-rear are the same as stock: 1.05 versus 1.05. The car's electronics can't tell the difference. It really is coincidence.

I can't figure out how to open the picture. Left click,right click,double clicks--nothing. Windows 7,Internet Explorer.

3. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Sorry about the pic. I can't seem to figure out how I've put them up in the past. Seemed like the only way. Hope you are right! And sorry about the confusion on the Portofino/California tuning bit!

I should add that the TPMS won't function despite me putting in new sensors and calibrating. t defaults to not working.

4. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Rule12b likes this.
  5. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well, I pulled the undertray and found the leak. dripping out of a little hole toward the back of the tranny/diff. . .I took a video. When started, it drips a bit more and then drips the most at shutoff. Looks to me like a blown seal or gasket allowing gear oil to come out under pressure. So, on a flatbed to Ferrari service to goes. . .

6. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    So the word is blown transmission gearbox housing seals. $11,600 to repair/replace. Anyone else think it odd that this should go on a 2015 with 16k miles on it??? Tires were a non-factor, confirmed.

7. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Is there any evidence of the transaxle vent being plugged?

8. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'll ask. . .Doubt it.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That's no fun, much sympathy. Warranty? Goodwill contribution? It's only a five year old car.

10. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    That has me concerned, my 2015 has 16K miles as well, sorry it happened. I'm about to get new tires as well, my car has the 20" diamond wheels, wonder if there is any advantage in going a little bigger to your size. Stock tires are 245/35/20 and 285/35/20. I'm looking at Falken Azenis in south Florida, which tires did you get?

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Stay far away from those tyres. You need proper sport tyres for your car. Not only is the Falken an all-season tyre which means it is hugely compromised, it is also a low buck budget tyre. The MPS4S is currently one of, if not the best tyre on the market. Why on earth would you get a budget all-season tyre when you live in Florida. Your climate calls for summer tyres year round. Unlike those of us who have to switch to winter tyres, you never have to compromise. Stick with the Porto spec MPS4S. The only way is down, and that is on all fronts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Thanks for the comment, I agree the MPS4S is the best. Falken Azenis is a summer tire, however, and has tested favorably in comparison to the MPS4S, not quite as good but far better than some others. I had the Falkens on my 911S and liked them. I ran them at several PCA events and had no problems sticking to the course at speed. I don't drive my Ferrari like a race car and don't feel 10% more performance is worth a 3X premium, and I'll spend the difference on a new Driver and 3 wood.

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.
  13. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I went with the mp4s. I’ve run falkens on other cars. It’s a matter of choice and intended use. It’s about cost/benefit so I certainly respect your rationale. That being said, the wheels and tires had nothing to do with the seal failure I’m told. Just one of those things...they totally transformed the car for the better btw. Ride and handling vastly improved!

14. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Just an update. The tires had nothing to do with the problems and in fact, fit absolutely perfectly and the car is vastly improved. I'm pretty pleased since I had to pull the wheels and measure all the clearances and offsets by hand (the aftermarket wheels we had were a total mystery). I can highly recommend the combination. Here are some pictures of the new shoes. . .Also, the guys at BC Forged were helpful and patient through out the design process. Wheels came in 4 weeks and are top quality!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

SLViper1 and tomc like this.
  15. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Nice wheels, enjoy! Glad you got it sorted out.