Looking for first Ferrari | FerrariChat

Looking for first Ferrari

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Tilltap, Apr 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tilltap

Tilltap Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Timothy Tilley
    As a San Diego native from a working class family. I have always dreamed of owning a prancing horse car. The closest I got was having every edition of Cavalino magazine! I am pushing 60 and My business finally spins off enough money to justify a crazy purchase, but I worry my family and friends would see it as pretentious. My neighbor just bought a gorgeous F430 and that pushed my hot button. My wife gave me the green light, but we would be selling her very well cared for Mercedes. That being said, I am looking for a car she can drive, hence a Cali T. A Ferrari dealer has a 2015 with 12k miles. They sold it to the first owner and he traded it in on a portofino a couple months ago. Body is Rosso Fiorano with a creme’ interior, including the steering wheel. They want $139,500. I obviously want to avoid buyers remorse. What is my next step?

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cali T is an excellent choice, its a coupe, its a convertible, can be daily driven, and is very quick! Only regret you might have is not getting your Ferrari sooner!

3. Tilltap

Tilltap Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Timothy Tilley
    Thanks Steve. It’s a beautiful car, but I don’t want to jump in without My eyes wide open. Any advice on what to look for during my eventual test drive / inspection?

many gremlins in the Cali T?​

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - you re not the first to buy a used California so it is likely others have asked and answered similar queries - its worth spending some time browsing this section

AD211 likes this.
  5. Cabernet

Cabernet Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Madsen
    Hey SD neighbor! Our stories are similar though we ultimately chose to go with a new "entry level" model. We took delivery this week!
    Pics here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/when-corona-was-only-a-beer.619067/

Private message if you'd like to chat.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    In my humble opinion, the earlier Cali T and later (NA) Cali 30 - each of which came w/ a Handling Speciale package - are the way to go for a first foray into the wonderful world of Ferrari from a price to performance ratio. Circumstantial evidence on F-chat suggests that the two major worries of earlier, first-gen Calis - like DCT sensors & hard top woes - are much reduced. I would say test drive as many as you can, in order to get a feel for what is/isn't normal in terms of performance, level of wear, etc. Focus on cars with good service records. I am sure SD has an active FCA chapter, so talk to locals (I see you already have one willing to chat) who may have a Cali. F-chat threads as @greyboxer pointed out are a great resource. I did a ton of reading here on F-chat before the wife & I bought our Cali 4 yrs ago.

As to the "buyers remorse" aspect. I would say, sit down with your wife, have a realistic look @ your financials, the costs to purchase AND maintain a Ferrari, and if all that looks good, you got your basics covered, jump in with both feet! The question my wife asked (and answered) was - if this Cali blows up tomorrow & is a total loss will that negatively impact our ability to put food on the table? Her answer - Reader's Digest version - "F*** no! So, get off your butt & buy a Ferrari!" :)

Don't feel the need to rush the decision, as the hunt for "the one" is fun too. You can spend time on F-chat learning more about the various models. Another bit of free advice, talk to the locals about the various options for servicing your Ferrari. To me, that's as important - if not moreso - as having a good purchase experience. If servicing your F-car is a PITA, well then why bother. Totally detracts from what should be fun.

Finally, since your wife is jettisoning her Merc for this endeavor, make sure to bring her long for the test drives. My wife loves the Cali as much as I do, and so that just amps up the fun factor.

Good luck!

T

7. Tilltap

Tilltap Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Timothy Tilley
    Any quirks in the Cali T that I should look for?

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I vaguely recall a few threads about problems with the top, some about the Navi system, but by and large, insofar as F-chat is concerned, the T seems pretty reliable...T

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Very reliable car. Very comfortable. Too easy to drive. Stereo needs a sub box but otherwise far and away the best sound system of any of the ferrari's I've owned. With a '15 you're still under prepaid maintenance and they do a pretty go inspection each time. These are great cars, looks great in dark metallic reds like Fiorano.

10. Tilltap

Tilltap Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Timothy Tilley
    How important is it to have the lighted steering wheel for shift signaling? thanks everyone for your insight.

11. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Its not IMHO, as you wont see it much at legal speeds. I do however like it and I love it for the looks, carbon fiber steering wheel, paddles etc.

tomc likes this.