488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 10 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #226 Shadowfax, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Know Byron well and always stay out at Wategos. Great place. Byron has become a bit over populated with tourists though over the years. There are equal if not better places on the eastern seaboard to live IME.... Aus has such a stunning coastline. Dare I say the best on the planet. But then there is WA too.. omg totally stunning in the sw corner. With such choice it's hard to settle on.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id take a 458 over a scud, and in 5 years id probably take an f8 over a pista. id take a CS over a 430.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I don't share that view. There is still the odd nugget to draw upon. But yes a lot of the new stuff is so watered down it barely raises a pulse. I found myself just going through the motions in F8 after half a dozen laps. Very capable but not much bubble and fizz. I thought someone will wear the tires out so it may as well be me so I kept going for the sake of it.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    100%. its personal to each. for me 458 and LaF were the end of the era that spoke to me. Everything after 2012ish just whispers to me, so i'm no longer an active buyer of new ferraris.

Clay512TR and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I didn't get the feeling that life for Ferrari stopped at 458 even though the NA engine sounded more alive. It was good on it's day. Laf is different story. Now that car is an all time classic and keeper for the lucky who got one.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Sometimes it pays to look beyond the $ Concid. I truly think this is definitely one of those times where cheaper is not better.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I can’t justify the extra cost of the Pista. The track versions of the previous cars all the way back to my old 360CS were never as great as the F8 to Pista. Ferrari could made the Pista a model that owners literally falling over themselves to get new or used but they’ve gone in a different direction. It’s just not $75,000 more special IMHO and the used market in the US has verified that. Everyone enjoy your car I’ll be looking forward to my F8 Spider. I have no idea what will come next, I’m not sure about a V6 or the weight,complexity or price of the sf 90 so for the first time in a while I’m not excited about the next car.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Here's a few things to consider. Just because you passed on a Pista for a cheaper F8, does it not mean that others will. I've personally yet to see it, and would never consider it. So if we go by the idea that if one does something, such as you not purchasing a Pista but rather an F8 means that the market will soften due to the F8, then my choosing a Pista will obviously prove the opposite, yes? Glad we have that squared away.

Now for that rest of it.

Much nicer interior? In what way? You do know that not all Pistas are alcantara cabins right? Some have full leather and carpeting.
    Road noise? Just put MPS4S rubber on the Pista if that's a concern. Rumbles a lot less than MPSC2 and are great for road driving
    Newer styling? They are incredibly close and the F8 has taken most things straight off the Pista. So if you think the F8 is great, you obviously like the Pista as well, as they are very close and equally modern.
    Better electronics? How do you figure that? They use the same generation ESC and ABS system. SSC 6.0 and SSC 6.1 are not different generations. They are just different "settings" based on the same platform. When the Pista gets firmware updates, it will get a SSC 6.X something or other.

Lastly, forget the whole track thing. The Pista is not a race car and never will be. It's a road car that is enhanced and less compromised. But it is for all intended purposes still a road car and should be seen as a such. And yes, while some of us track a lot, it should not be seen as a track car, because it is not. Let's be really brutal and honest for a second. Hold on, let me get my asbestos flame proof and COVID19 secure suit on.... There, ready.
    Modern road going Ferraris are in fact not very good track cars when compared to actual track focused cars. They are too fragile and they are way too expensive to run for what they actually offer. Is a Challenge car expensive? Yes it is, and it is also expensive to run. But here's the thing. If you run a Challenge car, or a 4XX GT3, or even a Radical SR3 or SR6, and compare them to a road going Ferrari Pista, trust me when I say a car like the Pista, or an SF90 Assetto Fiorano will be MUCH more problematic, expensive and unreliable to run. There's a reason why a friend of mine who tracks a lot has purchased one of the few F430 GT3 Evo cars. He will not be racing hard core GT3 or anything like that, but it is a RELIABLE and strong track machine, and it will outperform just about anything that is not on GT3 level or above, including the FXX.K Evo and 488 Evo Challenge cars. Let's once and for all get this silly track car sticker off these cars and talk about them properly. Street cars that perform very well on track.
    Now that I have said that, let me also be clear that I think a Pista or 488 is well worth their price, and great fun on tracks. I'm not saying they should not be tracked, because they should. I'm just saying that we need to compare the F8 and Pista from road car perspectives, because that's what they are.

Now these babies will be going on a Pista within the next moth or so along with Pagid RSC2 pads to alleviate some of the silly expenses of running the stock brakes. Yep, they are CCST rotors from Surface Transform Brakes for those interested.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

spyderman, tekaefixe, mdrums and 6 others like this.
  9. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Now that the f8 and Pista share virtually all the same hardware we should assume that the truly special nature of the 'special' Ferraris is gone (same with Porsche and they are putting GT motors in non-GT cars). There is no chance an f8 won't be an overall better car for 99.9% of everyone vs the Pista. Having owned a Pista I assure you that the performance was insane and largely useless. it wasn't that bad on the street in terms of ride comfort but it was very loud and never make for more than an A to A car. I wouldn't have tracked it for all the reasons stated above in the previous post. The move would be a (slightly used) f8 and an Ariel Atom or a real race car....or go karts which are 1000x more fun.

tekaefixe and of2worlds like this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Love the Pista great looking car, but to me it's just a 488 with some doo dads added. Same old interior, same basic exterior, not nearly as comfortable as the F8. The Pista will out handle the F8 but straight line speed the F8 will be neck and neck.

To each their own but they made too many Pista's for them to be that special.

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

and yet it seems that buyers want 'loud' for their Pista and thus the knock on the 'quiet' new F8. Between the two I see the Pista as the passive design with aggressive performance and the F8 with the aggressive design and passive performance. One could argue the lower asking price for the F8 was to meet sales targets from clients who would perceive a less enthralled specification than what the Pista was portrayed as being ...

Shadowfax likes this.
  12. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Agree and If I remember correctly my old Challenge Stradale even had unique pistons.

09Scuderia likes this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    And if you could only have one that you listed?

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You claim this, yet you love your 720S which in no manner of driving dynamics is more compelling than the F8. In many respects, the 488 offers more road and steering feedback than the 720S which as refined, comfortable and compliant as any super car I have experienced.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    cs>458>scud

CS reminds me of owning my f40...

taking my personal bias out of the equation the 458 is the best "only have one car".
    458/355/FF wld be my under 200K trifecta

16. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I hate to keep picking on you.... but you have never owned a ferrari or a mclaren and have taken short drives with them (supposedly) but continue to keep telling people who own these cars what their cars are all about. Supposedly you owned 2 performante's and claim that a person who is 6'6" can comfortably fit in one....

You should give it a rest...

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Pista has a higher showing off factor than the F8, and that's the most important difference to justify the price gap.
    The objective differences favouring the Pista for its claimed intent are lower weight and higher downforce, but they're marginal; both being defined as road cars with modern technologies there are not anymore real engineering choices defining different characters apart from artificial statements - with all the electronics and adjustability both cars are equally capable on roads and tracks (apart from the marginal differences mentioned above), it's not like the old days when you had opposite technical choices for road and track cars. A true race car without electronics would be fundamentally different, but Pista and F8 are objectively very similar. That's what I think anyway ;)

18. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I'd note the handling maybe closer than we think. The Pista came with "specially developed MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 K2 ultra-high-performance tyres" whereas the F8 is fitted with regular Michelin Pilot Supersport tires. Yet there is only a one second difference around Fiorano in favor of the Pista on its special tires? Would love to see a side by side, identical wheel and tire combination, comparison between the Pista and F8 to really determine the pure numbers. If they are not running the same tires and wheels then the track time comparisons are not really fair.

As for looks, that is largely a personal preference thing. To me, the Pista looks like its trying to hard with its racing stripes and its body work is less flowing than the F8. The F8, especially from the back, looks more hypercar then entry level Ferrari and it looks far better than the awful rear end of the 812 where it looks like Ferrari went to Pick-a-Part and shoved a bumper cover into the back of an F12.

At the end of the day, IMO, it should be about (1) how does the car feel when it drives and (2) how does the Ferrari stand the test of time looks-wise aesthetically speaking? I'm hoping the F8 Spider satisfies number (1) but seems folks here who have driven it seem to think not? (Drives like a Bentley?)

I guess to satisfy #1 and #2 I'll need to buy a 550 Barchetta :))

19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    and what do you base this on?
    Thank you!

Im 6’4” and zero chance I fit in a Perf. My buddy owns one and I wanted to buy one but couldn’t fit.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Typical Mike, proven wrong? Move the goalposts.

How about New York when financing? Or Texas?

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thx....sold my Pista last month and am AGAIN on the hunt for my 4th 458. (and have an open look for CS, havent found yet).

tekaefixe, Ash Patel and 09Scuderia like this.
  23. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    How do you like the V12 so far?

24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Talk about moving the goal post...

Yeah, that NY law couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that it's dependent on potentially unknown financing terms from the dealer...

Notice how it doesn't apply if you arrange your own financing and that it's "prior to signing".

25. I would trade my Pista (and all my other toys) for a Covid-19 vaccine.

Covid-19 has better engine, and even though it may not sound as good, I believe it is has lots of downforce.