458 vs. 488 questions start up questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 vs. 488 questions start up questions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Viperjoe, Mar 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I had the smoke one time (it even triggered the fire alarm in the parking lot) - it was after not starting the car for maybe 2 months (I was living abroad then, but was usually able to start the car every few weeks, except this time). I was told by technicians at my dealer's that it's not unusual (and not a real issue).

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #27 Shadowfax, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    I suspect it's more of a top down issue then where oil has gone past the separator and up into the intake system. Keeping in mind the engine is a v8 layout (not flat) so if the engine is not displaying any oil burning characteristics during normal operation oil can really only enter the cylinders if it is being drawn into or has leaked down past the valves into the cylinders. When the engine is shut down any oil vapors which have by passed the separator and built up inside the plenum will eventually run down overnight into the cylinders. Either-way its not what I would consider "normal". But as I said earlier "normal" is a term often used....more so when the engine is within warranty and still running.

3. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I am able to clarify the misstatement I made above as to how this occurs. This info is per the master technician at my dealership. He has been flown to Italy and Abu Dhabi for competition in the "Best of the Best" international tech competition. He had placed 3rd the last time he went. Plus in 2019 my dealership was deemed by Ferrari NA to have the "best" service dept in the country. You may disagree, but it is with him, not me. He said:
    The phenomenon happens during engine shut off and is when high vacuum in the intake is able to pull a little oil through the PCV system. This is because the oil pump rotor vanes are open just enough for the oil to go backwards through the dry sump system.

It doesn't occur all the time as the vanes are not always at that one critical position that lets this happen.

Ergo, as I stated ineloquently and completely wrongly, ultimately still a design "flaw".

I hope this clarifies a phenomenon/mechanical issue well above my pay grade.

Best

LVP488 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  4. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    My 458 has never belched soot. At most, a little puff of condensate depending on temp/humidity of garage.

If it “fills the garage” i would get it looked at....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk