will Ferraris and other exotics face downward pressure in prices? | FerrariChat

will Ferraris and other exotics face downward pressure in prices?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jjk2, Mar 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjk2

jjk2 Rookie

Oct 22, 2007
    Curious if you are seeing any downward pressure on price of Ferraris, especially used cars like Scuderia, Speciale etc.

DGPF likes this.
  2. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    There is a Scud on Fchat that just dropped from $180k to $100k*....

*must buy $1M+ home to unlock discount :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #3 absent, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    ewright, AshAP, SCantera and 2 others like this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There was already a downward trend before this coronavirus ***, so it's probably not getting better now.
    In many european countries the car business is virtually closed down anyway, so we'll see when transactions resume some weeks (months?) from now.

DGPF likes this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Interesting spec.
    :)

paulchua likes this.
  6. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    It’s already happening.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DGPF likes this.
  7. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    That seems like the case. As others have mentioned, the market was already softening and this is going to accelerate it. 1.) People are now having to balance investing in the markets when assets are cheap vs. buying a Ferrari. 2.) I think the really special models like Scuds, Speciales, 288 GTO/F40, etc. will still fare a little better because it seems like those get viewed more like investments now than toys by many collectors.

It's all speculation right now though. We'll see what happens when the situation passes.

DGPF likes this.
  8. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    My predictions:

On the sell side, It'll be mixed - some will need the cash asap and will dramatically drop price to get their car off their books and this will be a race to the bottom. Others will see recognizing a loss as a waste in its own right and will shift mentality to owning their car years longer. That should balance things out a little.

On the buy side, it'll be mixed too - those still making money or flush with cash will go deal hunting. While others who may have been stretching for the purchase in the first place will disappear from the market (unless they have moved into the first group).

For dealers, the hard part will be not just a drop in traffic but for inventory they own. Nobody wants to wipe out their gross by selling a couple pieces of old inventory at a big loss. Maybe this is a good time to talk about dealer margins and what they should be *allowed* to make again, lol. Consignment business will be better than normal I would guess. Dealers won't want to buy, but might cut a few% off the commission to get some blood flowing.

What's interesting around my part is that I see people driving their toys a lot more the past week or two. Stuck in the house + don't want to go to the store + empty roads = time for a cruise?

Bradmc74 likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes for sure - lots of deflationary forces at work...

Texas Forever and Thecadster like this.
  10. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    VW Group is burning through 2.2B a week with production stopped. Among other lines, VW Group owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and Porsche marques. What the production stoppage means to future car prices -- new or used, I have no idea.

09Scuderia and Texas Forever like this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Agree for most part. In my portfolio I have been sitting on a large % of cash for years (~20%) because I have been expecting an end to the bull run for years (political, trade wars, exhaustion of business cycle) giving up gains along the way. As a result I have actually been too conservative in my portfolio for ~3 years. Now with large cash position you think I am going to buy Ferrari’s? No way. I am going to invest in companies and industries. The car still does not get purchased. I am sure other savvy investors feel the same.
    Now..if things get so bad that I can pick up a 458 SA for msrp....well.....the calculus may bend. :)

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    in other words
    Supply - increase
    Demand - decrease
    so price has to decrease.

jjk2, DGPF, Texas Forever and 2 others like this.
  13. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I was in the same boat.... "was"
    took money out of stock market last year b/c "there's no way this market can stay up". Kicked myself when it went up.
    Used money to pay off mortgage "stupid to earn <1% while paying 4% interest". Might as well earn 4% instead of 1%
    now stocks at bargains but no cash to buy.
    Exotics will be at bargain but no cash to buy. No jobs at this point either.

Texas Forever, DGPF and rampante550 like this.
  14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    exactly!

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes.
    thats the way it works.
    i wont even mention what i was offered in 2009....and failed to buy.

DGPF and Texas Forever like this.
  16. jjk2

jjk2 Rookie

Oct 22, 2007
    for me it was the beginning of last year when I started betting hard against the market...but it just kept...going...up and up

here's hoping the 16M will come down a bit. still tough to justify spending half a million CAD.

although I did come across a 16M recently at 50% off but it was a salvage title...."minor cosmetic damage" but how do I know if they are telling the truth right?

17. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    the thing that is very different now is the unreal amount of money the fed is dumping everywhere. Last go around that money created many bubbles...car market is one of them. will all that money go towards reinflating the same bubbles? Will there be deflation as the market adjusts then massive inflation as a result of all the trillions 'injected' into the economy? I believe so.
    If that is the case all cash alterative assets will increase in cost/ value. RE, gold, stocks...anything that is an alternative to cash. People will rush to cash alternatives because they will see that their cash is losing buying power. inflation and then hyper inflation.
    Will cars benefit from inflation or is their day done with the exception of the truly investment-grade collector cars....?
    I really don't know.
    However, I am sure as crap not buying cars now.
    Keep your powder dry until there is blood on the streets...even if it's your own. Then buy true assets.

As stated by my college roommate, Barron Von Rothschild

The worse off the market is, the better the opportunities are to profit. That's seemingly the credo for contrarian investing. Baron Rothschild, an 18th-century British nobleman and member of the Rothschild banking family, is credited with saying that "the time to buy is when there's blood in the streets." He should know. Rothschild made a fortune buying in the panic that followed the Battle of Waterloo against Napoleon. But that's not the whole story. The original quote is believed to be "Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."
    https://www.investopedia.com/articles/financial-theory/08/contrarian-investing.asp

Texas Forever and Ryan13 like this.
  18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Typical modern production exotic - over one hundred of the same used low mile cars all for sale, at the same time. A patient buyer will find multiple bargains for sale. The rock trick at the deep end of the pool will give you an idea.

410 S.A. and similar crap. The market will not be flooded with excess inventory.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm not so sure on the inflation thesis. It's hard to have inflation when people are not buying. Even back in the 2008/2009 housing crash, I kept wondering where did the money go that went to buy the dirt in the first place. I never got an answer. We know the trillions pushed by the Fed in 2009 onward ended up in the stock market, which is still near all-time record highs. So where will this recent $4 trillion tranche end up? It may just replace the income lost by shutting down a $20 trillion dollar economy for two months.

I lived through Texas in the '80s. I never, ever, want to see that again. The streets were rivers of blood.

20. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Are we not there already? WTI was off 25% this morning to $13.50 a barrel. Unreal. I understand that wells in the Permian are being capped because a) demand - supply imbalance, and b) no storage space left. NM is going through a draw-down on "rainy day" funds because of the loss in oil revenues.

In an economy built on leverage, particularly high yield debt in the energy space, I fear blood is already flowing instead of oil.

My sole source of humor today is a good comedy on TV. "In confusion there is profit." ("Operation Petticoat")

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The general market will drop, except for the market for the car I actually have (this is the denial mentality most with exotics would hold) because it has X quality. An example would be the last modern exotic with an ashtray. I always pretend I am going to own whatever car I buy forever, I guess that is why I trend towards the less expensive end of the spectrum. In general, the more mass produced and expensive the MSRP is the more of a hit they are going to take.

LVP488 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  22. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    where will all of these trillions of dollars go? What gets inflated (or reinflated)?

- Real Estate?
    - Stock Market?
    - BOA seems to think gold...
    - Where else?
    Some of it will be wiped out and go to money heaven...Money heaven as the money that is pumped into many small businesses (PPP) won't save them...spend 100k on something that is goes to 0 the $100k is gone.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Taking note of what is going on today with the lock downs etc..more and more people and business are going to realize they dont have to commute to work. Why pay for a car? Why pay for insurance? Why am I wasting time driving too and from work..only to do they same job I can do from home?

The business they work for are going to realize they don't need to be paying huge amounts in overheard just so their employees can sit in a cubicle, to do the same work they can do at home. The working model for both employees and employers is old and out dated. I think this pandemic will open a lot of eyes.

This will indeed have a direct impact across the car market.

Red 27 likes this.
  24. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    In 2008-2009 here, an F40 could be had for €300k - €350k.

I saw two from one 'Mickey Maus' dealer on one day, head off to Japan.