356 400 412 Headlight Motor Needed and Tech Advice | FerrariChat

356 400 412 Headlight Motor Needed and Tech Advice

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by luigibosco, Apr 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luigibosco

luigibosco Karting

Jan 28, 2005
    Westchester County NY
    Anyone know who is rebuilding headlight motors or selling them either refurb, used or new? Any idea how much one of these costs?

Last season my driver's side headlight wasn't rotating or lifting the light fully. Meaning that each time I turned the lights on, the left light only raised 95%. So if you turned the lights on and off 5 times, the left light would easily be an inch or more out of place. I would have to turn the lights on and off 20 times to get the two lights both fully closed. I hope I explained that clearly.

So this season, on the first day, I tried the lights and.... The passenger side (used to work perfectly) isn't going up at all and the drives side goes up and down continuously until I flip the switch again.

Any ideas or do I just need two new motors?

Thank you,

2. luigibosco

luigibosco Karting

Jan 28, 2005
    Westchester County NY
    Sorry, 365, not 356

3. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hello.....the motors that lift the headlights are from the Fiat X1/9, if you need to replace one.

Opening the hood you should see the round cylinder which is the actual electric motor that turns a worm gear mechanism to move the lamps, at the nearest upper end will be a black knurled knob which is your "emergency" crank, turn the knob one way or the other to raise or lower the lamps. Turning the knobs to work the lamps will check to see if you have a jammed hinge or bushing keeping a lamp from mechanically moving.

As far as an electrical diagnoses goes, more info is needed, however, on my '85 400i, there are 2 - 2 wire flat connectors just a few inches away from the motor. A voltmeter or simple test lamp on the chassis wire side should give you battery voltage when the lamp switch is in the raise or lower position.
    Green goes to the motor, black is ground, green with black stripe, brown with black stripe and grey go to the switch inside the motor housing to give it forward/reverse. Let us know if you get further info on the problem.

Gary

Tojo likes this.
  4. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Gary has summed up the start of the trouble shooting there very well. I also found this info on the Fiat forum, which may or may not be helpful https://www.fiatforum.com/x1-9/244279-headlight-motor-gone-crazy.html. or https://www.fiatforum.com/x1-9/18163-headlight-motor-help.html
    if it happens to be diodes as the Fiat guys suggest a good auto electrician should be able to fix that relatively easily.

One a similar note, if anyone knows a source for the black hand crank knobs please let me know! I'm missing one :(