430 - Not driving car for 30 days | FerrariChat

430 Not driving car for 30 days

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Apr 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hey guys...quick question. As a result of the COVID concerns, we are being safe and not going to venture outside for likely 14 days, other than for the essentials. Since I wont be taking the 430 to the grocery or liquor store, it likely will not get driven for 3-4 weeks. this is the longest the car will have gone unused since I have owned it and thus my question.

Since it will "sit," any concern of flatspotting in this timeframe? I have seen some people on line indicating yes, and that one should raise the pressure in all tires to 40 or so. Others have said yes, but simply move the car back (or forth) a few inches into a different spot manually every week or so, which seems easier.

Or, since the tires are basically new, is 30-days of sitting and no driving nothing to worry about tire wise. Car remains on a trickle charger at all times, so good to go there. Thanks in advance.

Scott

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    zero. ive had cars sit for months and have never had a flatspot.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I wouldn't even get it another thought ..4 weeks is nothing

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

brogenville and f355spider like this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    OK super thanks for the quick replies and hope all stay safe

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If it persists then just start it up to get it up to temp and move onto drive way and back in garage. It will help to prevent water pump seals from leaking and rest car on different part of the tires.

cpep and cole328 like this.
  6. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    now is this best time to drive it............

Aeron Fout, Flea7, Skidkid and 2 others like this.
  7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yes. Time to make Getaway in STL videos ;)

Eric C likes this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Be more concerned about the gas going bad. Put in Sta-bil and be sure to run it enough so the treated gas gets into the injectors.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Seriously the best time to drive. You'll be fine leaving it for a month. Me personally? I would take it out to do some of the more minor chores like dry cleaning or picking up pizza. If there is absolutely nothing to do, I would drive it around the block for fun. Point a to point a. I'm against a mountain road so I take it there :)

Aeron Fout likes this.
  10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i wouldn't even worry. make sure you have a nice trickle charger (eg, not the ferrari branded one)

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you are out in the car where i live you might get stopped by the police to see why u r driving around, shopping, chemist or looking after relative, also certain required workers going into work is ok but nothing else. Very strict to try and stop people passing virus on

12. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    What he said... I'm not going anywhere either but I'm taking mine out once a day (weather permitting) for like 30 min just to keep the car and my sanity fresh.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    A to A drives by yourself should be no risk. They are isolating by definition. True though that here you need a reason to do that now.

OP, a lot of us live in places where you can't drive for months in winter, have never had a flat spot. But you will maybe need a trickle charger like a CTEK.

14. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    ((If you are out in the car where i live you might get stopped by the police to see why u r driving around,))

Well, thank god we in the US have a Constitution to stop that kind of bulls#it.

Oh, wait.

15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    4 weeks inside storage is nothing. You do not need to hyper-inflate for 4 weeks, but I would make sure pressures are correct when put away, ck cold pressures before you drive when you put her back into service. Would put it on a trickle charger & covering is optional. If you do decide to drive it drive minimal of 20 miles to properly heat & lube lube essentials. Do NOT just turn it on & let it run till oil temp comes up to normal! My 458 is also OUT OF SERVICE TILL THE END OF APRIL. Modern tires do no flat spot like those of old. If the car was being put away for several month's would hyper inflate & do a few other things.

16. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm taking mine out tonight for a 30 minute scoot! Then Battery charger! 4 weeks is no big deal....

17. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks… I didn’t realize that it was recommended to drive for a minimum of 20 miles? I probably generally do that anyway, but I thought the more important thing was just to get it up to Temp before you reved above 4000 RPM

Anyway, if I didn’t mention in the original post which I can’t see now, I’m in South Florida. So perfect convertible weather. I think I will go for a nice drive tomorrow, just to get out of the house

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    This was my experience (major thread hijack).
    I don't have a trickle charger. Battery went flat after 3 weeks. Wouldn't start. Got a renewal notice requiring smog. Used a charger to charge up battery. Drove car to smog place. The guy told me that CPU wouldn't allow smog and the car had to be driven for an hour or so. So now I have to find time (ha ha) to drive the car for an hour so smog can be done.

moral - don't let battery go flat before smog.

19. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Mine sits for 6-months at a time. Never had problem with the tires, but definitely don't let the battery die! Also you may want to check with your insurance company to see if they have a "storage only" coverage (which is basically only comprehensive). It saved me a few hundred every six-months as I also have a teen driver in the house.

Stay safe everyone!

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    U can turn the battery off on 430. Never had an issue over 14 years of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk