86 TR Crank no Start - STEVE HELP! | FerrariChat

86 TR Crank no Start - STEVE HELP!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Hoogen, Apr 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hoogen

Hoogen Rookie

Apr 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Mitchell
    I have searched and read almost all of the threads on this issue and still have no luck. I was hoping Steve could chime in and help!

As stated in the title, the car is an 86 TR single mirror with center locks. I’m having a crank no start issue. It’s getting fuel but no spark. I have checked and jumpered the Tachometric relay and the fuel pumps will kick on but still no start. I also checked the protection relay and it is working fine. I did change out the 3 other relays in the “triangle box” because i pulled and tested them and the 15amp relay was weak and in the wrong spot. I rearranged them and put them in the correct spots and the car started and ran twice. I only tried twice and figured the issue was fixed. A couple days later after the weekend i went to start it again and the problem seems to have come back. The car has a new fuse box installed and all connectors are clean and not burnt. I also tested and swapped the speed and TDC sensors with another 86 TR we have and still no luck. I checked the connectors under the coolant expansion tank and they are clean and tight. I swapped the coils and didnt make a difference. All wires at the back of the starter are solid and tight. I also checked voltage at the y pipe during cranking and was getting around 12v.

One thing to note is that sometimes its hard to turn the key and takes some jiggling to get it to turn. once turned the windows and A/C works so I’m thinking that the ignition switch is somewhat OK.

Any help will be very much appreciated!

2. Hoogen

Hoogen Rookie

Apr 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Mitchell
    Just figured out I’m not getting 12v power to the ignition ECU while cranking

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Have to say that that is not a good sign for the ignition switch as the only other places to look are the AN wire near the bottom of the w connector and the GN wire at one end of the y connector.

If the AN wire in the w connector doesn't go +12V while cranking = bad sign for ignition switch (or its connector).

4. Hoogen

Hoogen Rookie

Apr 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Mitchell
    Just checked the AN wire and its getting 10.3v while cranking and 12v while not cranking.

Thanks so much for the speedy response!

5. Hoogen

Hoogen Rookie

Apr 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Mitchell
    Shouldn’t i have continuity between the AN wire on the W connector and pin 13 on the ignition ECU?

6. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Steve helped me a ton when I had my 88.5; I really appreciated it.

I have since sold it but continue to read these threads as Steve's knowledge continues to amaze me!

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes -- have you checked at the GN wire in the y connector?

8. Hoogen

Hoogen Rookie

Apr 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Craig Mitchell
    Yup, and i just fixed it! The GN wire in the y connector was loose in the connector. If the GN wire is pushed in, the car wont start. Once pulled slightly out it starts right up. Thank you so much for your help, it helped me get my mind around the situation and put the pieces together!