Fuel door will not open. | FerrariChat

Fuel door will not open.

Discussion in '360/430' started by TnT F430, Nov 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TnT F430

TnT F430 Karting

Jan 26, 2015
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Will not open with the switch on the dash or the overide pull in the engine compartment. Both make a clicking sound like the latch is working but door will not release. Any suggestions before I start taking things apart?

2. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Use fingernails to Pull on door while simultaneously pulling cable, or activating switch.

Wonder if cable or latch busted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TnT F430

TnT F430 Karting

Jan 26, 2015
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Did that, no luck. Also used plastic putty knife to pry with. Today I will pull engine compartment side panels and see if I can get access.

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Try having someone push gently in on the door as you try to open it with the emergency pull.

Sounds like it is binding up and needs a bit of relief from the pressure to open.
    Alden

5. TnT F430

TnT F430 Karting

Jan 26, 2015
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Nope, tried that one already. Right now I have the engine compartment sides off. I can see both switches working and can move the manual one by hand but the door will not release. Pulled up the schematic on ricambi but no help.

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Actuator is bound up or broken.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    As above if you pull the fuel door release handle in the engine bay it should pull back the actuator peg. It could be that the hinge is stuck as well.. or the peg isn't completely "pulling back" into the actuator. If it were me I'd go into the engine bay and pull back on the emergency fuel door release and then also try gently lifting on the door with a spatula. Might be able to juuuust get it enough that it opens. Regardless, sounds like it needs to be fixed or replaced.

8. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Neat trick, do you do house breaking as a hobby ?

10. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

haha good one

11. TnT F430

TnT F430 Karting

Jan 26, 2015
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That did it! Thanks for the video! Now it looks like the actuator is broken. I can move it manually but the switch does not work at all and the manual pull works hit and miss. The actuator is in a tight space, a two hand job but I can only get one hand on it. Anyone replaced one?

12. TnT F430

TnT F430 Karting

Jan 26, 2015
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Good news ! It's a $50 part at Ricambi. Now I need to see an exploded diagram or shop manual on how to replace it.

13. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    A DIY on how to do this would be awesome if you get it figured out. GL!

14. Julian Thompson

Julian Thompson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 25, 2016
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Julian Thompson
    #14 Julian Thompson, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here we go. This might help a bit - you can see the solenoid near where the inner arch would be. So you need to remove that inner panel and then you can get at the thing to unscrew it offf the bracket. One thing to note when you unscrew the inner arch is that the heads on the screws are easily rounded because the rivnuts in the frame end up a bit corroded. So you want to make sure that you apply lots of pressure to the screws and get them out first go using a properly fitting ratchet or some other hefty weapon rather than a little girly screwdriver.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. TnT F430

TnT F430 Karting

Jan 26, 2015
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the pic, I ordered the part today. Can't understand why it would fail at only8500 miles.

16. Julian Thompson

Julian Thompson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 25, 2016
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Julian Thompson
    All Ferrari parts have a built in atomic clock set to initiate failure at 8499.9 miles (or 15 years whichever comes first) - come on you surely knew that already?

SingleClutch likes this.
  17. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I see this is an old thread, but I was wondering how you finally got your fuel filler door to open. I had this issue on my 430 today. I hear and see the actuator moving, and I tried the manual release several times - ended up breaking it by pulling too hard :(
    I still can’t get the fuel filler door to open, and I’m beside myself wondering how I will be able to fix it. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Fly fast and take chances