First Ferrari? | FerrariChat

First Ferrari?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Peavynation, Mar 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    Hi everyone, excuse this Ferrari noob, but at least I'm certainly no noob to sports cars, Porsche in particular. I've wanted to join the Ferrari world for awhile and think now may be time.

I have an pretty loaded question that many will roll their eyes at, but I searched the forum and didn't come up with much.

What are people's opinions as a "good" first Ferrari?

With a budget of only $45-50k it limits possibilities, but my primary criteria are this:

* Good mix of driveability and performance
    * Mid-engine
    * Sound-wise I'd love a flat-plane crank
    * I do all my own maintenance and have a full workshop, lift, etc. so serviceability isn't a huge concern but the easier the better.
    * I'd rather not have to mortgage my house for parts but realize a Ferrari aint a Honda.
    * This isn't an investment, per se, this is something to drive and enjoy, but getting something that will at least hold it's value is an obvious plus (but who really knows, right?)
    * In the end, I want a well balanced car my wife and I can drive and enjoy.
    * And I'm open to hearing everything I don't even know I should be considering!

Talking to my Ferrari friends the following came up. I think I'm partial to the 't' at this point, but I'm such a noob I need some guidance by those who know better. I know there is no right answer to this question, I'm just looking for other's opinions that I can then draw my own from.

Mondial in general, a 't' in particular
    308 GTB vs GTS vs GT4

Thanks all!

2. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Easy: 355.

lee-o likes this.
  3. lee-o

lee-o Karting

Dec 8, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Second the 355. Given the current circumstances, I suspect deals can be had. There is also the 360, somewhat less expensive for long-term maintenance than the 355.

4. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    355 - however not sure you’ll find a good example in that price range. If you’re comfortable with doing the maintenance yourself I’d say get whichever one you like the most.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. ThatFlyGuy

ThatFlyGuy Karting

Jul 10, 2020
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Cy Sawyer
    Well, for what it's worth. I am a complete newb here as well and I chose the 355 after about 3 years of hard thinking. I love the look of the 348, but just not enough power and performance. The 360 I think is a good choice as well and many are cheaper than the 355, but I am not a fan of the interior, particularly the silver metal plates reminiscent of all popular mid 2000's cars.

I found the 355 to be the last analog Ferrari that is the most beautiful and best sounding.

Of, course this is all just subjective personal taste and opinion. :)

Mmckee likes this.
  6. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Not really a loaded question but certainly one to start a discussion..lol
    I have been a tech for over 40 years and have owned a number of Ferraris ranging in model years from 1961 to 1989.
    You mentioned flat crank...so essentially anything V8 308 and up. It depends on what you want. The early V8 cars are reliable and affordable but offer mediocre performance (sorry to offend those that own them). My first Ferrari was a Mondial T that was a great car once I updated the fuse box. Dead reliable, decent performance and sounded great. Were I going to buy a newer 3 series it would be the 360. Great performance, good looks, 355 exhaust issues resolved and belt service without dropping the powertrain. Still a relatively owner repair ability within reason.
    Drive them and see what suits you best.
    The yellow one is the only one I kept. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mmckee likes this.
  7. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    Thanks you two, I appreciate the insights. I'm still on the hunt, reading and researching as I go, listening to all the folks out there with far more Fcar experience than I have. At the moment I think I'll either be going vintage with a 308, or skip ahead to the 355's or 360's. Time will tell...

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

All I would add to this discussion is that the early 308s carb, pre catalyst are very exciting when set up correctly. True, they are not as fast as others but the adrenalin factor maybe better. For one thing they are lower, more of a go cart feel. With the DOT stuff taken off you experience the 308 the way it was designed, not the watered down "North American" version.

9. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    Indeed George, I agree. That's one of the main reasons I'd go with a 308, particularly with an early car. I'm not buying a Ferrari just to go fast, I have other cars I can do that in. I want more of a visceral experience than a speed experience. Still, it needs to be able to move out of its own way. :D

10. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hate to be "that guy" and deviate from the scope of the question... but the answer seems to be a sorted 996 Turbo.

11. Peavynation

Peavynation Rookie

Mar 31, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Joel Peavy
    I can understand that, but already have a 911, bunch of American muscle I've restored, motorcycles, had some Italian and British... I'm really looking for the Ferrari experience more than just a "cool car" experience.

Also, my OP somehow posted in this "new members" section rather than the section I'd intended, so I reposted it under the proper section so people would actually see it. It has more of my "this is why I want an Fcar" reasoning too.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/first-ferrari.619399/

The site continues to refuse letting me delete this OP. But that's OK, I'm enjoying these new comments from you all.