My Dream Garage in the Mountains | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My Dream Garage in the Mountains

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by SCantera, Jan 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Also in stock ready for delivery is the floor tile on the concrete. They are 24" x 24" PEI 4 [hard] porcelain tiles to cover the 2000 sf of concrete floor. What's cool about this tile is it looks like barn wood pieced together in a parquet pattern. I have to hold off install until I can get the painter to stain/seal the interior. Here is a sample of the tile - 2 tiles set next to each other. It should blend well with the log and timber interiors.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Another feature of the garage is the Christmas present that my girl gave me. It's still in a crate unassembled waiting for the garage to be completed. It's a fully operational vintage Shell glass globe gas pump. You use a lever to hand pump the gas from an underground or above ground tank up to the glass cylinder. Then the fuel gravity flows into your car. Funny....the Indy cars use gravity feed. Gotta love the tradition.

This Shell gas pump is going to be the highlight accessory in the garage. Getting closer everyday. 6 weeks and it should be ready to house my cars!!! Can't wait. Feel like a kid at Christmas.

3. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The interior staining of the structural members and spraying of the lightly tinted transparent sealant [SuperPro Deck by Sherwin Williams] is being completed today. The stonework on the foundation walls will be completed by Friday. Monday the tile floor begins install. The mason has been set back a couple of days due to yesterday rain and SNOW(?) today. Mother nature played an April's Fools Joke. Sunny and 70 on Sunday and snow today. Brrrr.......

A couple of progress photos...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I meant to respond to your request before....I can show you the floor plan but would rather not put it on the net. Can you PM me your email address?

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Steve - I am a massive fan of your project and of your car stable, past and present. But the architect in me has to poke - am I not seeing any flashing at the top of the stone.wood intersection (last pic, post 53)? An interior pic in post 28 shows what I presume is a p.t. sole plate on top of the CMU base; and am I seeing mtl flashing/termite shield on the exterior pic in post 37? Just wondering about snow/rain sitting on top of the stone . . .

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    No worries. Logs are screwed into a double PT sill plate on top of the 2’ high block stem wall.

Continuous 18” high aluminum flashing is fitted into a sloping up horizontal cut into the 1st log above the block and bent down to drop down over the block face to the top of the footing.

The flashing is covered with metal lathe and both are “shot” into the block and the stone with self sealing galvanized fasteners. A mortar with water resistant density is applied in a scratch coat on the lathe.

Water cannot get into the plate nor the logs or into or behind the block stem wall. I build in FL. I know how to keep water out. My livelihood depends on it!

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Excellent sounding detail. I was an architect in the coastal mid-atlantic before I moved to Santa Fe awhile back - it is so dry here, and the precipitation so rare that really horrendous detailing can exist years before any rot manifests . . . You would not believe some of the conditions I have encountered here while renovating my 1983-era house.

Look forward to seeing more progress!

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  8. jfauto

jfauto Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    PM sent. Thanks so much!

9. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    readplays, colombo2cam, BJK and 2 others like this.
  10. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Bryanp, colombo2cam, BJK and 3 others like this.
  11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Here is a better picture taken today. Inside is getting close. Outside the building itself is about complete. Lots of clean-up and site work....grading and drainage...stone base and bituminous asphalt paving of the drive......400' long plus pad in front. Getting bids for paving now.

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Might want to think about a concrete pad in front of garage and asphalt for the rest. Concrete more durable and if it's a nice day might want to work on your cars outside.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I agree. While I have no problem with bituminous paving concrete is better and tougher. Over time it’s longer lasting. Course it’s a lot more expensive than asphalt based paving. I plan on getting a bid for concrete when I get the site cleaned up and rough graded. I have a Kubota track hoe and do my own Sitework. It’s in one of the pictures above.

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sounds good and your place is really really nice, great job!

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    So, this is a ways from the house? It would be nice to have a security cam on a pole right about where this pic is taken from. (and maybe a tunnel from house too :) )

16. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Finally....the tile floor is complete! The contractor is a one-man shop and had to have emergency gall bladder surgery in the middle of the install. I had to scramble to bring on other subs to get something done while he recovered. Electricians, plumbers and trim out carpenters were rushed in for a few days. With tile going down no one can work in the same space.

mcimino, Mang, Oengus and 9 others like this.
  17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I do plan on having a security camera or two outside and in the garage. As far as a tunnel.......1/4 mile away and through solid rock would make it a pretty tough project!!

BJK and readplays like this.
  18. jfauto

jfauto Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Tile looks amazing!

of2worlds likes this.
  19. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Update?

ifeelfree0, Bryanp and Mhoram like this.
  20. edworak

edworak Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2007
    Genoa, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Ed Dworak
    After seven weeks do you have any updates? I want to see the finished project.

Jasonberkeley, Thecadster and BJK like this.
  21. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Been a while since I posted any progress on my dream garage. Had a big hold up in finally getting the power to the garage connected. The next big step will be the pouring of a concrete driveway in front of the garage doors.....about 3000 sf of concrete. Supposed to happen the middle of next week if the weather cooperates.

Here are a couple of recent photos. Have some more furniture and huge TV to go into the man-cave. Long way before all the details are completed but it's starting to look less like a typical construction war zone. Don't look too closely. All the cars are dirty from having to sit outside for a while before the muddy driveway was re-graded and gravel applied.

mcimino, Bas, goezfaster and 9 others like this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I really like it. Looks great. Very inspiring. I am about to post my own “dream garage” thread, as I am about to embark on the very same journey. Remind me, what kind of porcelain tile is that? Congrats again.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Awesome - so happy to see this update and all progress you've made!

24. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Finally installed my 1963 Gulf [dealer] sign on my log garage. It was a tough job but the engineer in me figured out how to do this by myself. It's a 6' diameter steel sign and is a heavy mf. After attaching 2x2 pt wood brackets to the rear of the sign I used lag hooks and rope to lift the sign into the lift I rented for the weekend. I had to "slot" it into a space on the outside of the lift platform and raise it into position before fastening it to the wall. I used 9 - 3/8"x6" lag bolts to secure it. Sorry about the smoke in the picture...I had a celebratory cigar after finally getting the job done.
    I had all 6 cars in the garage pulled out to clean and hang signs inside while using the lift. 3 blues [458, F12 and 330], one silver, one black [SA] and one green. The last week of August 3 more get delivered....all red.....BB512, Alfa 4C and 599. Gonna be a squeeze in the garage until I get lifts installed.
    Here are some pics of the cars inside the garage.

mcimino, AD211, readplays and 9 others like this.
  25. ronc52

ronc52 Karting

Aug 25, 2010
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Looks great!! Now you get to enjoy it!!!

SCantera likes this.