All season tire for the Lusso | FerrariChat

All season tire for the Lusso

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Georgemaser, Mar 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    Can anyone recommend an all season tire for the Gtc4 Lusso?

2. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Not sure if it comes in the right sizes but Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ is a decent tire and well rated. I put them on our Tesla and so far so good.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    most people do summers and winters. not sure whats available for all seasons so you are prob at the mercy of what is available.

EndlessDoodles likes this.
  4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I don't really get it.
    You spend a lot of money on that car only to compromise the handling/performance/safety for what reason?
    I can understand someone putting all seasons on a Honda or Toyota, since getting two separate sets of wheels is expensive but in a Ferrari?
    All season tires will always be inferior to Performance tires in Summer and would never have the traction or safety of Winter tires when the weather turns bad.
    I wouldn't do it.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i hear ya but the flipside is it's a lusso, how often is someone driving on the street where the better tire makes that much a difference and where the OP lives it's colder than it is warm...so for a few months where its cold and dry, the all season is the tire that makes more sense.
    looking at tirerack, there isn't all season option for the lusso

otakki likes this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Actually I think you are better off with both winters and what we would call summer tires. The all season is always a compromise.

7. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    I have winters, Soto zero’s that were terrible in the snow. I just put back on the summer tires now and I don’t like the way they grip (the tires have only 1200 miles - mileage I bought the car with) so I thought I would try all season until winter and find a different winter tire. Maybe I just need to change from Pirelli to Michelin’s?

8. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Looking at the weather data for Michigan, I would have thought that winter tyres would be essential from October through to April.

All seasons will be a poor compromise for the continental climate that you have. If you do don’t like your winter or summer tyres then change the brands, not the tyres. Michelin Alpin winters get good reviews as do the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summers.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    George my sottozeros were very good in the snow. I dont have any experience with the michelins in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Check the date codes on your tires. There is an oval on the sidewall with 4 numbers on it. For example, "4318" First two numbers are the week of production and the last two the year. For example, 4318 means tires were manufactured the 43rd week of 2018. If the tires are more than 4 or 5 years old, they are past their best grip. A 2016 built in 2015 could have tires that were 5-6 years old now and their grip will be a fraction of a newer tire. Personally, I am a Michelin man. The Sport 4S (which is a summer, NOT all season tire) is an amazing street tire with extremely high levels of grip and predictable break away. Excellent in the wet as well. Stay away from Sport Cups (2) for the street. Not really what they were designed for. They take a while to heat up, throw tons of stones at the car when they are hot (though of course dry grip at that point is amazing), and they are terrible in the wet.

Caeruleus11 and Georgemaser like this.
  11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I've looked into this before. The only way you can do this is by having different tire models front and back, but that will likely upset the balance and handling at the extreme limit. The only two A/S available for the rear are Michelin PS All Season Plus and Pirelli Cinturato, with the latter being in the "grand tourer" tire category. It's too bad Michelin PS A/S 3+ doesn't have the size for the rear, because Michelin's own testing showed it to have better performance than some major competitors' summer tires. Conti DWS also doesn't have the rear size.

johnr265 likes this.
  12. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    Thank you all for the input and I will check the dates on the tires.

13. Safster

Safster Rookie

May 13, 2011
    George I also live in Michigan. I just ordered the Michelin PS4s for my FF to replace the Pirellis. I based this on all the positive reviews on the PS4s I have read here. I have a set of Sottozeros for winter.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have the Michelin Pilot Alpin on my Lusso for winter and PS4S for summer, no issues with either, but I do not have experience with deep snow on the winters, I use them for when the roads are cleared and its mainly just cold and theres all kinds of grime on the roads.

uhn2000 likes this.
  15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Performance winter tires' performance is slotted between all-season and studless ice/snow.

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I put Run Flat Blizzaks on my wife's Lusso.
    She drove it through the worst snow storm with no problems.
    RF gave her additional security against being stranded on the side of the road in Chicago of all places, a Ferrari with very attractive looking woman would be a very tempting proposition for many of our residents.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Give the Michelins a try. Great tyres. Very stable, comfortable, quiet and so on. They track well with not tramlining.

If your car acts "funny", get your alignment checked.

Trust me, an All Season tyre will not do anything good, and nothing good is available in the correct size.

MPS4S for the win.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Does tirerack show k1 and k2 for the lusso? Just ordered ps4s for my 612 and it shows both k1 and k2

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes. These are the Lusso tyres. There are only K1 tyres for the Lusso.
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/488-gtb-rhd/all-pages/racing-seat-74618

The K spec MPS4S that fits the 612, is the Porto tyre. This is the K2 variant. The K1 245/35R20 K1 is the front part of the Lusso spec tyre which mates up with the 295/35R20 K1 rear. So if you have a K1 on the front and a K2 on the back, you have a Lusso front and a Porto rear tyre.

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    But they show k1 available in the 612 20 inch size and they even show one that says bmw?!?

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    True. They will sell you anything that fits. K spec means more than just Ferrari. It's model specific. The MPS4S 245/35R20 K1 is the tyre for the Lusso. That same tyre in K2 is the Porto. The Porto is called K2 because it came later than the Lusso tyre, but is the same size, load rating and speed rating. If you for instance look at a rear tyre for a 458 and FF, you'll see that they are both called K1 even thought htey are the same size and speed rating. But one is an SL tyre and the other is an XL, so they have different load ratings.

The reason why it shows a BMW tyre for the rear size, is because there's no K1 285 section tyre to mate it up to. In other words, it shows pretty random stuff too. If you want a matching set, get the K2. That being said, for a 612, I'd personally go with these.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&frontTire=435YR0PS4SXL&rearTire=835YR0PS4SXLV4&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ferrari&autoYear=2010&autoModel=612%20Scaglietti&autoModClar=

Like I said, the K mean Ferrari specific, but as was also said, they are model specific. What works well on a Porto might not work well on the 612. It might have different tread patterns, they might have different compounds. Heck, some tyres even have camber built in via a difference in sidewall stiffness between inside and outside tyre wall. BMW among others use this. Therefore, I'd go with the "neutral" tyre, i.e a non-model specific tyre.

Trust me, it has nothing to do with quality or the like. Just because it says K and is Ferrari specific, does not mean it meets more stringent quality control, or the like. It is simply a question of tread design, compound, tread depth etc. Just look at the MPSS K1, K2 and K3 tyres in 245/35R20. They are very different in tread width for instance.

uhn2000, otakki and ANOpax like this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Wow you rock! I learned something new! Thanks!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Haha, thank you. Glad to help:D

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002