Chrome Plating Recommendation? | FerrariChat

Chrome Plating Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by killer58, Apr 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I need to have some trim pieces re-chromed for a car I’m restoring.
    Must be high-quality work - not Pebble Beach but show-room level.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop in our area?
    Hopefully within an hours drive of DC.

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

Good luck finding one. I tried several different places around the DC area and you would think they were using 24K gold for plating and taking weeks to get it done. Depending on the part, you may be better off sending them off to a shop in Pennsylvania or New York. On another forum recently a member from the Washington area had to send his wheels to the West Coast to get them done. Most of shops I looked at in DC, MD and VA could do small things like motorcycle parts.

The key to chroming is surface prep. To re-chrome a part usually means stripping the old chrome off and removing imperfections from the surface. Any imperfections will be amplified by the chrome process. Then the part is suspended in a solution and electrically charged. The electroplating process is quick but the surface prep is not.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Bob Smith Coachworks in Gainesville Tx.
    Few cars are supposed to have chrome as perfect as a show winning Harley Davidson. Bob makes it appropriate for the car it is going on.

Nothing is lost or damaged.

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Brian, I’ll contact coach works this afternoon.

5. Echo Charlie 1131949ZULU

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Edward C. Chewning
    GRAVES in Alabama

Hoodude likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Any service business that is good is going to have a big back log. As far as price, the plating industry has been hit hard by environmental regulations and insurance costs. It has caused many to close. I was talking to the owner of one who was told during an annual fire inspection that if his building caught on fire they would not even attempt to put it out for fear of mixing the cyanide and sulfuric acids and poisoning the neighborhood. You can imagine how much the insurance companies like that. Most areas in the country will no longer approve license requests for chrome plating shops.

BigTex and INRange like this.
  7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Closest to you is probably Librandi in Middletown, PA outside of Harrisburg. They do a lot of AACA work. Interestingly there are a number of chrome shops located in the Erie, PA area

INRange likes this.