550 aftermarket springs and shocks | Page 9 | FerrariChat

550 aftermarket springs and shocks

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatbillybob, Jun 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yup it will work fine. I know this because DeltaVee aka Rob Shermerhorn also does this. He was a former FNA challenge race team guy. I had him do work on my 348 racecar. He is very good, very knowledgeable and highly recommended. He knows where to valve to based on the info he extracts from you.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- I do not know anybody who revalves the Mannesmann-Sachs shocks for the 575M. Does not mean there is not anybody, just means I have not heard of them.

FBB- The 26s are Parachute Adams. Very common on the San Juan. That combination also works well on the Big Horn near the dam.

Philip- I put the HGTC alignment specs in the VIN vs Assembly Number thread. This time around, it has the shock length between the threaded collar and upper spacer in addition to height from the flanblocks. More useful if running non-OEM wheels and tires. Forgot you had the HGTC bar instead of the FHP bar.

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oops, I was referring to Bilsteins on the 550, forgot pma1010 was talking about the 575.

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have sent Rob an email regarding re-valving the MS shocks. I'll let you know the outcome. Philip

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Philip- These guys say they do Sachs racing shocks and there is another one in the UK.

Shock Repairs and Rebuilds

I actually do not think you are undershocked, but what do I know? What shock ECU are you running? That makes a huge difference.

6. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks Terry. Rob S's delta vee email address bounced so if anyone has an email for him, please PM or post.

I do have the uprated shock ECU which I sourced from Eurospares (IIRC) along with the ARB.

It should "wobble" if grossly under shocked, not damping the spring's natural oscillations. Don't see that. But it is also "not stiff". On my old Miata I had Tokico adjustable shocks. Went from Lincoln to close to board stiff through the range of adjustments.

"Sport" setting does little. I am not sure I can tell a difference versus "non-sport". Is there a way to test?

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've never been able to discern any difference in the sport setting which is one of the reasons I used the sport switch to select FHP steering in my selectable steering mod.

In the 355 there was a noticeable difference between sport and normal.

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Well, at least it is not me being clueless!

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  10. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks Terry. Take 2 on Rob S via your link. Be cool if there was just an update that could be made to the shock ECU where the base setting was the current sport and a new setting could be programmed that was quite a bit firmer than the current sport.

Philip

11. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Rob indicates the MS shocks have a crimp at the top to inhibit disassembly. Not an easily serviced item today. He also indicates they have about the same range of adjustment as the Bilsteens on the 550.

I seem to recall earlier in this thread we concluded the shocks would be set full hard if we pulled the switch. Sounds like that's a next step as a "look see".

Philip

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Phillip,

I have 2 550's. One is stock and I also think the sport/normal setting is not very pronounced. However, the system is dynamic and responses in milliseconds. So it is difficult if not impossible for us to feel its action driving around corners on the streets like we could if we had adjustable motons which are on my second 550. There is something funny about the action of dynamic systems where they work but we don't know what they are doing. It is sort of like the newer traction controls can make a not so skilled driver exceed his limits yet stay on track and have lower lap times. I think the stock system works more than any of us think.

That said how much can dampening change in 1/4 - 1/2 turn of a shock rod? That is all the adjustment that is there. Some claim that because of the electronics it can move a few degrees and have just as much control as the gross full clicks we can feel on our adjustable motons. True or false I do not know. If you want something that you can really feel working adjustable shocks work. You can also build the chassis for what you want. A good builder will either have all the data like Rob Shermerhorn or you will need to provide the data, your goal and someone like performance shock in sonoma can get the job done. I run on my second 550 different off the shelf eibach springs for $65 a spring and moton doubles. They are a great combo and springs are so cheap I can play all day long for pennies.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Philip- That would not be that hard to do since 0 amps to the actuator is full hard and 1.8 amps is full soft. Eric355 has had good luck with TCUs and is currently copying an HGTC TCU I sent him, but from what I remember, he was unable to fiddle with shock absorber ECUs. Might be worthwhile asking him. There were also Group 4 and Group 5 algorithms for the shock actuators.

Note there is a curve for the shock actuators that is speed related, much like the hydraulic steering ECU. That curve could also be modified to bring in stiffer settings at lower speeds if someone could get into the software.

14. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Terry, thanks. As I said, I'll pull the switch. If it has 0 volts and I can feel little difference then there's no point to revising the programming in the shock ECU and i'll be at a decision point (do nothing, spend some money etc). If it is material change from pulling the switch, then its either a bypass switch (assuming it doesn't trigger a fault on the display) or revised programming and if the later, I'll reach out to Eric (or anyone else that wants to take this on).

What were Group 4 or Group 5 algorithms?

Carl, I do think the system is quite clever. I have not read enough to understand all its inputs and processes, but empirically, it does firm up at speed when subject to lateral load (say on an on-ramp) and the car handles well in higher speed turns (80 - 100mph) on the track.

Separately, I tend to leave the ASR switched on and do so at the track too. You could feel it operating during higher speed turns where an inside wheel was on a curb and the throttle was all the way down. Assume it cuts spark or changes throttle position.

Philip

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Philip- Everything except for changing the programming will usually set the suspension lamp. Group 4 and 5 were FIA racing classes when the 575M was being built.

I think with 0 amps, she will ride like a truck.

16. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    If true, and this means "as hard as a board" this is perfect. We know the shocks have the range of adjustment and then it's a question of programming.

17. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Pulled switch. Looks like a relay (bulky, lots of prongs). Triggered warning light. May be slightly firmer but not like a board. Comes down to springs.

18. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Reserecting an old thread.

I pulled off the hgtc-spec springs from my car and have gone for a firmer set up. Not too hard - it does not crash over our pot holed roads in the Midwest - but noticably firmer and more akin to my taste. SSS are going to re-powercoat the springs I have removed (400f, 250r) which are close to the hgtc specs as you can read in this thread.

I need to connect w/Ken on the thicker rear bar and of I go this way I'll sell the hgtc bar with the springs. PM me if anyone is interested in them.

Philip

19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Sorry to bump an old thread here, but could you point me to the Moton setup you're using? Part number would be great...and the Eibach springs you're using as well if not too much trouble.

My complaints with my car are identical to what you have described. I love my 550 but I miss the handling of my 355, but I think if I can resolve this floating front end on acceleration and body roll in corners I would be much more satisfied.

20. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I recently had both the front inner and outer tie rods replaced on my 99 550 along with all the bushings on the front control arms. The effect after was a significant improvement in the feel and accuracy of the steering inputs along with a much improved feeling over imperfect surfaces. I thought about the Moton’s at one point but I’m glad I decided not to, the car when properly refreshed has a perfect balance.

21. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    What's the mileage on your car?

Mine is at about 22,500mi right now...I supposed age could have deteriorated them. I'll have the suspension gone through this summer to see if there's anything that could be replaced I suppose.

22. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
  23. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm currently swapping to MSO coilovers on my car. Waiting on them to be manufactured and will post up more info once they come in.

24. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is a MSA Damper, but not aware of any MSO. Factory in Italy was shut down for COVID-19 and supposedly reopening this week.