Porsche vs Ferrari Ownership Experience | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Porsche vs Ferrari Ownership Experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PuraForza, Mar 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    My first sports car was a 75' 914 1.8l that I bought in 77' Fun car to drive and amazing through the corners. I did learn quickly that drag racing from stop lights wasn't its strong suit. 2nd day I owned it I got smoked by a pickup truck.

2. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I liked my 1.7 4 cyl bus motored 914 because I could drive it flat out everywhere and no one knew ! Now the 308 is kinda the same. A 4 cyl 914 had 90hp at most stock (2.0). Now 200+ hp on both but the 308 gives up 600-700 lbs. The 914 is like a go kart compared to the 308. I’m crazy about both cars!
    Late last year I was looking for a 74-75 Carrera project. I’d like that experience. Other than a 308GT4 there isn’t an F car in that same price range.

Formula Uno likes this.
  3. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I have both and enjoy both, getting one that's manual and RWD is a lot more important for me to enjoy driving it than the brand.

Texas Forever and 308Dadoo like this.
  4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Back then I used to out autocross a 914 with an X1/9. It was pretty close though.

David_S likes this.
  5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Porsche cars are lot more practical. Leaving a Ferrari at the side of the road is like leaving a Leonardo da Vinci painting at the side of the road. In the rain.

Texas Forever and Boomhauer like this.
  6. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    To be honest, I find my GT2RS boring compared to my Ferraris. My manual 991.2 GT3 is much more engaging, however I always catch myself day dreaming about driving the 812 or Pista. Rarely do I drive my Porsches anymore, which is a shame, but I can’t help it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't think so. A mid 80's Porsche 911 Carrera versus a 308QV Euro or a 328 is a hands down Ferrari winner. The Fcar is more fun, more nimble, more power, more class, more head turning, more sound, more soul, more bitching. The 911 has more trailing throttle oversteer.

8. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Would love to see pictures of these - have you posted them before ?

MDS

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    To each his own, I guess. 911s feel more nimble to me.

Dewinator likes this.
  10. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I was thinking more about this topic on Sunday when I had to do the car Tetris to get my Ferrari out of the garage. With everyone home because of the “stay at home” order this is becoming a common thing with my driveway full of cars.

This game of Tetris gets me the opportunity to literally jump between multiple brands of cars one right after the other and back. As I also drive them around the block a few times before putting them back.

So jumping into my wife’s 2016 Cayenne, you can feel the quality of it compared to the Toyota Camry of my “perpetual” house guest’s car(family member, not Kato Kalin) but it still feels like a normal vehicle if not a little tighter in the sensitivity of the controls.

Moving on to my son’s C350 Mercedes, it seems similar to the Cayenne, but there is more plastic so think of it between the Toyota and the Cayenne. It’s also a little looser than the cayenne, which it shouldn’t be since it’s a 2 door sports “coupe”, but it is...

Then I had to move my 2004 Porsche GT3. You slide into the factory buckets, you know the ones that don’t recline or adjust and come in normal and fat-ass sizes. It feels like a scalpel vs a really sharp steak knife. It’s all business, just a few hints of factory carbon fiber here and there on the shifter and ebrake. No wasted leather, lightweight plastic everywhere on things like the wiper controls and turn signals. On rails isn’t the way I’d describe the drive, more like you point and it goes in that direction. You go around a corner fast, you accelerate at just the right point knowing the weight shift is pushing that rear engine and tires towards the ground, always conscious to keep the car on the edge of the knife with the front tires. Granted one of the reasons to own a 996 GT3 is the lack of electronic nanny features that newer GT3 models have.

Now let’s move on to the Ferrari, except for a few area of soft touch covered plastic that still feels better than Porsche’s attempt at soft touch over plastic, most of they surfaces feel and smell like your sitting inside of a ladies leather handbag (this is a good thing). The attention to detail on the luxury aspect is covered, no light feeling plastic wiper controls stalks here. Ferrari even thought through putting a protector on the side where the gas pedal is so my foot doesn’t wear the interior. Also the gas/brake pedal placement is all about driving fast in the twisties, not for casual comfort on long drives. Compared to the 911 where you drive on the knife’s edge and pedal placement is more like a regular car, the Ferrari’s handling feels like it’s on train rails. It feels special every time you drive it. The only other car that I think drives and handles like this is a Cayman GT4, I can see why Porsche still won’t give that chassis the power it deserves, no one would buy a 911 again unless they needed the monkey seats in the back for their toddlers.

If I need a daily driver, I would consider the Porsche, heck I drove my GT3 as a daily from 04 to about 08 when I got a Mini Cooper S JCW for my daily. To be honest until the timing chain went at 60k miles, was a lot more fun than any other car I ever owned. Swore off British cars for that experience. If I wanted a car to make Sunday drives more special, I’d get the Ferrari.

One more suggestion, when all this virus stuff is over and you have to rent a car when traveling for business, rent the cheapest Toyota or Nissan Versa. It give you a great comparison of a normal car vs what we are privileged to own. I do it every time so I enjoy what I have at home more. I even turn down free upgrades. One time I was in queue at the Hertz gold counter at SFO and the guy in front of me was screaming at the woman behind the counter that she should give him a free corvette upgrade because of all the business he does with Hertz. She refused and he left. She offered me the free upgrade complimenting me on how patient I was waiting (I’m sure I was actually on my iPhone most of the time answering emails or something knowing me), I declined and she was beyond amazed and asked why. I said, because I have no need to show off to my clients and coworkers in a rented car and she proceeded to give me an F150 as a rental since they were out of compact cars for the night. That was the first time I ever drove a pickup. That’s a longer story involving a cup of coffee, a white shirt, a hand dryer and a live TV spot.

Anyway... stay safe and OP enjoy whichever path you decide to take with your purchase.

Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    “heritage, a following, a well structured owners group and a bit unique”

I’d say that both marques possess the attributes except for the last - unique. Porsche’s will definitely be more commonplace than Ferrari’s, especially in SoCal. Both have great heritage and the following for each is quite loyal. I find that the owner’s group and friendships you relate to are really based on your personality. I find that Porsche owners tend to be true gear heads, a lot of owners I would meet tracked their cars or modded them. Extremely knowledgeable in history and variations of models - more so than myself of which I still confuse some 911 variants.
    Ferrari owners have a lot of passion for their cars, die hard fans. Few seem to track their cars, but many like to attend car events to meet and share cool stories about anything. The mileage stigma is a shame.
    I’ll throw Lambo owners in the mix for fun, who are the most boisterous of the bunch and have diverse, fun personalities.
    Each “group”’of owners has a slightly different slant but I will say that the camraderie amongst all is strong, and I’ve met the best of friends through all 3 marques.
    Above all, that is the best part of ownership.

Sent from my 16M

Thecadster and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yes, I posted them before. Don’t mind that big smile on my face, I was really bored ;)

In all seriousness, I love driving both cars. There is a level of precision on just about every Porsche, that Ferrari just doesn’t have. To me, the Porsches are all business. The Ferraris are more engaging to me; I just love driving the hell of that 812 and Pista; the 812 and before that my 2 F12s, I absolutely love. Pista is fun as well, especially on track.

13. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    ^^^

Love it !! Thanks :) Wonderful collection.

MDS

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  14. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Thanks. For some reason, I’m not getting reply notifications. I keep missing replies!

15. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I didn't "reply" to post #62, but I will to this one. Did it work ?

MDS

16. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    No it did not. I haven’t received notifications since the 25th. I think a few other folks are having similar issues. Thanks

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I find them at the meet ups to be generally disagreeable. The middle aged guys that buy the new 911 and drive it to C+C are smug, stuckup and don't wave when you drive past them on the road. They're the least "friendly" click to break into and ask a question about their car. Ferrari guys at least will act like they're genuinely interested to meet you.

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. PuraForza

PuraForza Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Wonderful collection!

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  19. PuraForza

PuraForza Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Thank you to everyone. I must say that it is amazing how a simple question from a newbie caused all of these exchanges.

Thecadster likes this.
  20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    lol! yours is not a regular porsche! love your collection! strong work.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  21. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    When I inherited enough money to purchase a real sports car, I started with 2004 Porsche C4S. Really did love that car, tracked and it just didn't seem to thrill/scare me. I admit my driving skills really sucked then too. Then I upgraded to the 360 I have now. I miss my 911 but there is no way in hell I would trade back. The 911 I would love to have and I wouldn't even think a millisecond to drive all year round even in the snow. The 360, she reminds every now and then that "you make a mistake, I kill you!" Just my opinion. It is just plain raw fun from stop light to stop light. My 360 is my DD unless there is snow or salt on the road.

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I was just explaining that to my nephew today "you treat a Ferrari nice, it treats you nice, you treat it poorly, it makes you poor"

paulchua likes this.
  23. Mbelliss

Mbelliss Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    Own Porsche and Ferrari, among other cars. Love them all. Depends on what I’m in the mood for. Nothing like a Ferrari wound up to redline, but I enjoy the grunt of an American V8 in a Corvette some days, and dipping into a bmw m too. Porsche has its charms as well—took it out today after storing for the winter and reminded why I love it too. Net/net: Ferrari most special to me, but others have powerful charms too..

Texas Forever and tomc like this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Nice stable my friend. Nice stable. Cheers.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  25. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I guess I can see that...the regular Carrera or Carrera S guys....GT3 guys are not like that usually. I’m middle aged, owned many Porsche’s and on my 1st Ferrari right now. I am the guy that could care less what you drive and I will talk to anyone, especially the guys that track cars or want to get into it.