488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    They can sell under msrp no problem. They cant sell over msrp. Under is a non issue.

gabf1 and IloveGT like this.
  2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #102 IPO1, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    If you want a bargain...now is not the time to buy. 2-3 months from now when market pressures mount and the exotic car market goes boom, that will be when you start to really see some insane pricing. The anchor is just hitting the water and it's a long way to the bottom.

My .02.

09Scuderia likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes so many of us paid a premium to get into one of these Pistas yet in hindsight on todays scale it was not the best way to go financially. That said those of us who took delivery before the backside fell out of the market have had use of the car for a fair period of time now which is a good form of consolation - priceless in many ways.

Those who went through the same costly process now looking to take delivery of their Pista in this market would be better to cut and run now and use the market conditions to their advantage. The deals that would be coming available from drop outs like this one would have to open up price negotiations not seen in a long time.

I couldn’t imagine taking delivery of a new f8 at msrp in todays market. That would just be asking for an unprecedented beating.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    that only makes sense. There really is no reasonable scenario where the high-end car market doesn't basically collapse. Auctions and such are already reeling. for now, at least the true collector car market is going into hibernation. The modern luxury car market is where the froth has been appearing to be poised for something akin to a crash.
    Interesting times.

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Well put. I am sure some will worry about the so called relationship with the dealers if to back out of the orders, I understand. But you and I know this is worse than 2008. Do you guys remember how many new 16M were sitting in the dealers last time?

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    it will be very interesting indeed to see how the market fares going forward. I suspect there will be a bloodbath on certain cars. As you say, those with no need to sell will go into hibernation and hold the toys.

7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Hindsight is always 20/20. no need to be harsh on ourselves. It's still cool to look at the cars in the garage.

8. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I wouldn't take delivery of anything in this market unless you are willing to accept the potentially massive hit. With that said, hasn't that been true about modern Ferraris for a while now? Ferraris have become another luxury item that dumps a ton of value quick.

We had an 09 Scuderia. We bought it in 2010 (I think) for $100k less than the original owner. Had 400 miles. Great spec. MSRP 305 we paid 202.

Pistas are coming out in a FAR worse economic time and they are making more. The same thing will happen to Pistas as did Scuds, just more so. You guys aren't dummies. You know how all of this ends. So, hell yea buy if you want to...you only live once and you are dead a real long time. Just KNOW the downside.

plastique999, IloveGT and Shadowfax like this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Absolutely! True! And Absolutely!
    If anything they still make for great eye candy and a diversion when putting the garbage out in the evening. Love looking at em! It would be awful having to sell them and even worse having to take a flogging in that unfortunate process.

ScottS and of2worlds like this.
  10. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Have you guys even looked at the average # of days listing of exotic cars that are for sale?

it's generally six months. If dealers can wait that long, then what makes you think that everything is going to spiral down $100,000 or more in the next few months. Dealers wait it out and have been waiting it out for some time.

Only people who have to sell their car without buying another are getting screwed. The delta between the re-sale price and price a person is getting on buy from a dealer is going to probably increase by a large amount.

I asked a day ago how much they were willing to sell their pista for (largest third party exotic dealer in the States)? $448,000 is MSRP, they have it listed for $438,000 and said that for me; they'd sell it at $428,000. (it has 1,200 miles). It would be offensive if I asked for $100,000 discount that others are mentioning on these forums.

Rembrandt and Shark01 like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    That’s pretty well the score of it.

12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    common sense won't apply that much during uncommon time. Without any negotiation, a 20k off is actually a very telling sign.

13. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I was called back again about a car I casually inquired about one month ago. Functionally new Maclaren 720 spider with less than 400 miles. Just curious I asked, where is the price today starting ? Opening offer was 70k less than one month ago. That said it’s only cheap against the old price, not the future price.

14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Which dealer? That’s awesome! 70k savings in 30 days. Lol. It’s gonna be a blood bath for all dealers. While I feel bad for them- these exotic car dealers had become the biggest bunch of ***** arrogant losers. Not all- but many. Especially Porsche guys!!

Rembrandt, Viperjoe, Xrayv8 and 2 others like this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    What's the great use for Bluetooth on a Pista with no radio?

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    that's right . i remember there was this guy in RL call dealer "stealer". pretty funny.

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    for me? Phone calls.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Pardon my ignorance but does a car with no radio also have no speakers? Thinking having the car do hands free over the speakers might be something to want. But with no speakers then its just a cell phone. Am I kinda close?

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    honestly I don’t know. But this is why in order to get Bluetooth- you need the radio.

Solid State likes this.
  20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Are you predicting Pistas will be sub $300k in this environment?
    Remember when Scuds were $160k after the 08 fiasco?

Sent from my 16M

21. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    I am from Italy and seems that we are seeing the light .... in 20 days should be all open again, because infected people are very few now. so personally I don’t think there will be plenty of people sell for very special price their cars ... yes maybe someone .. but not so much .

of2worlds and Manda racing like this.
  22. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    as far as I know yes, mine just arrived at the dealer and I dont have speakers. You also dont have the control buttons on the right side of the steering wheel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rembrandt, Solid State and of2worlds like this.
  23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Seriously even after they take the 10% when you have speced your car ?

24. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sales contract, that what both of mine say

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

25. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wow that is fantastic not here in the UK as far as I understand but, perhaps there is some kind of consumer protection law that over rides the contract I am not aware of, as far as I understand in the UK the contract is binding

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk