430 - Capristo Centerlock Challenge Wheels? | FerrariChat

430 Capristo Centerlock Challenge Wheels?

Discussion in '360/430' started by PCarRI, Mar 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
  2. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Member ShineKen had a set for sale in classifieds not that long ago.
    Local owner here in MA has a set. Loves them. I looked at a set of CS Wheels he replaced with centerlocks.

3. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
  4. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've done this setup, what do you want to know?

5. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Thoughts on them? Pain to take off and on? Why’d you go away from them if you had them?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have to say that the appeal of getting centerlocks is that they look awesome.
    But, it's not that practical. Yes, pain to take off and on. It takes like 450# of torque, you have to carry a 4' breaker bar. Also changing out to different wheels is not going to happen. I don't regret it, but if I had to do it again I would really consider 5 lug challenge wheels.

7. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Tyvm for the info. Most 5 lug sets I’m seeing are the same price (or more) than the centerlock set so just wanted opinions on the latter all things being equal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There are orbital gear drives that allow you to remove these with more reasonable tools but they aren't cheap.

I haven't had a set but I would agree with your conclusion.

9. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I've got them on my car and I agree with what everyone has said. They look great but they are a royal PITA to remove. The adapters are in essence a 15mm spacer as well so rolling the fenders is almost 100% required. Biggest problem with install/remove is the instructions specify around 200 ft-lbs with no load/weight on the wheel. Then drop the car down and suck them up to 440 ft-lbs. I've tried to do this alone...won't tell you how but I wouldn't recommended it. With the car in gear and the parking brake on, you might get lucky to snug the nut down before the wheel starts to rotate. The front...forget it. I managed to hold the wheel by myself and tighten the nut by using a pair of chocks and a ratchet strap to squeeze the chocks together. Again, it really does require a helper to do this. In an emergency, I have a 1/2 electric DeWalt impact (1200 ft-lbs break away torque) to remove the nuts if I have to. The nuts, being aluminum, will look just like race car parts if you do this by the way

I also have a 2:1 multiplier so that I can use a "normal" breaker bar instead of the 4' 600 ft-lb torque wrench. The problem with this is, it will also spin the wheel unless you have help.

Skidkid likes this.
  10. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Forgot to mention this about the torque multipliers. As Skidkid mentioned, they are a planetary gear set which allows for the torque multiplication. The biggest issue is the stationary bar that holds the outer sleeve of the unit. This is placed on a solid surface....(i.e. concrete floor) and it acts like a lever. As you turn the input, the bar presses against that solid surface, essentially trying to lift the car up, making the process entertaining to say the least, esp. if doing it alone.

My thought was on the side of the road, I could use the multiplier. After I saw the divots in my garage floor, I realized how futile this thought was...

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is the difference between research and practical experience. Thanks, nice to know.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They may be a pain, but they sure are pretty.

Ghostdiver and Skidkid like this.
  13. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree this really is a 2 person job. One person stepping on the brakes. Then loosening and tightening the center lock is not a problem.

14. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I'm in ma call me 5082154857 if you want to check them out.i had them powde coated black on my car. I also had the centerlock lug anodized red all the way around didn't really like having one side red and one side yellow. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

gtwhaley likes this.