What is the upside of owning a Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the upside of owning a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F456M, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    When I picked up my FF in Berlin I was looking forward to having tons of fun on the German Autobahn on my way home to Vienna. So instead of driving directly home (1000km) I decided first to head west to visit my friend in Münster.
    Unfortunately it was a 500 km trip in the pouring rain - so no "pedal to the metal".
    The next day on my 1000km way home it was the same story. As soon as I entered the car, I had to turn on the wipers.
    800kms later when I crossed the border to Austria the rain finally stopped, but since there's a 130km/h speed limit in Austria .... my highly anticipated roadtrip had turned out to become a boring rendition trip.
    And if that wasn't enough half an hour later the traffic on the Autobahn came to a complete stop because of an accident.
    And then the fun part started.
    People got out of their cars to take pics of my FF, showed "thumbsup", repeatedly asked me to rev the engine, or just cheered and whooed.

When the traffic slowly started to move again I saw a beautiful pearl white C63 AMG with massive rims and thought by myself " wow, that really is a cool Benz .... wait .... fu** that AMG, I AM SITTING IN A FERRARI".
    And moments later when I very slowly passed the Merc I could see the driver's jaw drop like a drawbridge when he discovered my FF.
    Really made my day.
    It was exactly like Chris Harris said.
    "Even in a traffic jam you feel better in a Ferrari".

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree with this post

3. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have always been a person who likes to give more than I receive. So for me, I love the joy and facial expressions on people when I open the car door and tell them to sit inside and see how it feels. I've had so many people tell me that I made their day. It makes me feel good knowing that I just made someones day better by simply being kind. I realize that I'm very fortunate that I own a Ferrari so I will always share my joy with others who may be less fortunate.

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The biggest upside has been sharing the cars with kids and giving rides at the track to enthusiasts who would have never had the opportunity. Seeing their smiles always reminds me how fortunate that I have been to have busted my butt and made some (mostly) good decisions.

When I would put them in the F40 or the Stradale, they were always amazed at how un-luxurious they were. Which led to explanations of what those cars were about. I have also made some great friends at the factory and Maranello. That's about it.

On the other side, there are few that could have been a bigger enthusiast than me... since I was 6! I was sold on Enzo's story from day 1. I was one of the founders of the Desert Region of the FCA and the 1st regional director. I basically spent the better part of 30 years making excuses for these characters and trying to convince folks that Ferrari owners weren't arrogant poseurs who had not much interest in driving, just the best valet spot and showing how much 'better' they are than you. Maybe it's just my region.

I still love the cars, the memories of cross country drives, track days, hillclimbs and my Maranello friends.

5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I have a great friend who can fix anything. He taught me to change fluids, etc. in my garage with jack stands and it was very much a uphill learning experience. I have since graduated to a lift which makes life much easier. Help from Fchat friends and the knowledge from this site goes a long way. You can do it too!

Dane, kes7u, psych0hans and 1 other person like this.
  6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    the upsides are the people you meet, the history you become a part of, the places you get to go to see and share your similar interests, the passion and memories you share with your kids or family who also share the passion.

7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Fun fun fun... You feel like a reenager when going fast. It mymjst be good for your body and mental condition... Also the actual «freedom» of being able to go really fast wherever you want to is also a good feeling, even when being at home.

One summer night through Germany... More fuel more fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Auraraptor, VAF84, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  8. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I got the bonus of operating a car much like the fighter I flew
    very few pilots flew fighters
    its was and still a select group of pilots who fly these planes
    the same goes with owning a Ferrari
    this car was just an extension of what I used to do as a fighter pilot
    my 512 TR and 575 have a lot of the same characteristics
    as well as the
    charisma that went along with flying a fighter
    just not as dangerous and no ejection seat or weapons!
    but the rush is there
    its not for everyone and it shouldn't be either!
    and that's not self serving comment and I hope it didn't come out that way
    but in my world which I lived for over 30 plus years
    it is what it is

Reacherman1022 and F456M like this.
  9. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I do the same thing as you do at events
    I have kids of all ages sit in the car
    hit the horn and have them take pictures of themselves in the car
    you would be surprised of the stares I get from other owners who think I am crazy
    I tell them
    I have grandkids
    and they have been in my Ferrari's

LARRYH, psych0hans and F456M like this.
  10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It reminds me of my first slogan of my company selling super fast American powerboats...:
    «High Performance Boats for High Performance People»

Romeo for President !!!

psych0hans and Clyde Romero like this.
  11. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    The upside to owning a Ferrari is : smiles , lots of them.

LARRYH, Andynyc, willrace and 5 others like this.
  12. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    One of the upsides is when you go to get oil from a parts store, I do my own oil changes
    The counter guy will try to sell you a filter
    And I say politely you don’t carry it
    And they continue to press the issues, like they really have it
    So I say Ferrari 512 TR or 575 M out loud, so now what ?
    So do you have one?
    Silence
    I take my oil and leave !!!!
    Some people never get it

psych0hans likes this.
  13. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    It’s ROMERO but you were close enough!

F456M likes this.
  14. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Very true
    You become part of a history of people who drive cars of passion and performance
    That have a heart and soul like no other
    The car reflects who you are and how you view driving
    No cup holders
    No cruise control
    The car was meant to be driven
    Not sit in!

psych0hans and F456M like this.
  15. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The main upside: being able to say "my Ferrari."

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    There is no downside if you can afford it IMVHO.

psych0hans and F456M like this.
  17. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Like l said...there is no downside if you can afford it. Ciao Bella.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  18. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I love when people ask how much is the annual service?

It’s free. :)

19. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Given lots of people their first ride in a Ferrari. Some of the reactions are priceless.

Clyde Romero and psych0hans like this.
  20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    My reasons are probably unique.

1. I learned precision driving at a young age.
    So I cannot *stand* the average car, built for people who shouldn't be driving.
    *My* car *must* respond to the controls.
    (FWIW: my current cars: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, EVO X MR)

2. During the triple low* in the market in '99, for the price of an Audi A4 (2.8), I could get a used 328.
    (* a) Dot-com collapse, b) people selling Ferraris to get on the wait list for a 360, c) winter.)

3. When I was in Metro West MA, most dealership service shops were a rip-off.
    Ferrari was one marque I could get competently serviced.
    I even considered a Mondial 8 as a winter rat (when EVOs weren't available in the US) --
    -- except that Ferrari didn't start using galvanized steel until after the Mondial 8.

F456M and psych0hans like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    To me, it's the people and experiences that have opened up for me. I think if your an extrovert, joining a Ferrari Club is a must. Now, keep in mind that there can be many different clubs, so joining one that matches your personality is imperative to have a good time.

Today, there are fewer and fewer opportunities for people to get together. Owning a Ferrari has allowed me to meet many great and exciting people of both genders. This camaraderie affords new friendships and the ability to share the joy with others.

It also to me symbolizes that in a way 'you've made it' - a culmination of dreams that with hard work (and sometimes luck) that you've overcome whatever life challenges you had to overcome.

The fact the cars are just so fun to drive while basking in this affirmation, of course, is critical, methinks that is why cars such as Rolls Royce, while meeting the former, also requires the latter to become a holistic joy.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I love this, and I thoroughly enjoy Monaco. My wife which is the more 'down to earth' person, not so much. I enjoy the theatrics and pomp of the city, it's a lot of fun.

VAF84 likes this.
  23. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’m with you, Paul. I’m permanently in love with Monaco and the French Riviera. The Hotel de Paris is one of my favorite places on Earth. What I can’t stand are pompous nouveau riches that sometimes try to steal the scene and disturb the peace, but fortunately if you choose your dates wisely, you can reduce the chance of meeting them.

An upside of arriving in Monaco in your Ferrari? It opens a lot of doors and reduces the red tape.

Kind regards,

Nuno.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Yeah, screw you guys, it is all about the chicks!

:p ... I kid, I am a happily married man and get enjoyment from learning and sharing on this forum.

kes7u, paulchua and anunakki like this.