488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Take the 10k loss and run. Unless you cant think of better ways to burn 100 to 150k of after tax dollars!

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ive said this before but boy the Pista has brought out the colour pallets like no other car. Ive never seen so many different colour combinations. History has shown have the incorrect combination and delays and lowering in selling will happen.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    So many colors work very well. It's been the ultimate blank canvas for design excitement.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #79 Shadowfax, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    You won't need Pista money to buy this car. Make an offer you can afford on a take it or leave it basis - you've got nothing to lose. That car isn't likely to sell anytime soon so if you have an offer in you may well get a surprise at one point.

Offer half price on a take it or leave it, or, a price you are comfortable with paying and leave it to the dealer to decide. In this market nothing would be selling least of all a car that presents as badly as that one. I'd agree with 09Scuderia if you have a car coming you'd be absolutely crazy not to hardball the dealer big time. It's going to be a buyers market for a very long time.

Also agree it's fixable at a price .....respray the top of the car and paint some new stripes which go together - re upholster the seats or just buy some new ones which match up properly with the mainstream interior.

09Scuderia likes this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    All this talk about the Pista... All it has done after 4 pages is making me want one.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Certainly if your a potential F8 buyer wanting and liking alcantara and carbon fibre.

AlfistaPortoghese and Shadowfax like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Self indulgent specs like that always have a high price to pay on exit. A smart seller would take the early offer along with the lesson and just put the money back to work. That car is only going to become worth less and less as time progresses. At one point someone is going to have to pay to fix that car up......no other way around it.

8. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    Not a surprise the F8 is a simple evolution not a revolutionary new car the way was expected it is in many ways the same as the Pista and we know the Pista is not limited.... there are a lot of them and despite the production shutdown for the tragedy Italians are living through production runs are high and the market is a bit saturated

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Time for a financial bath on that one.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What an utterly hideous spec! I realize Ferrari has a rule that says no pink TM cars, but they should expand that to a few "poisonous" combos. Best thing they could do would be to get new seats and a respray making it a black on red non-stripe car. Many would go for that compared to this atrocity.

Shadowfax and mdrums like this.
  11. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It doesn't quite work that way yes you don't take the car but if it sells for less then the msrp less your deposit you pay the dealer the difference, its not a case of you walk and only exposure is deposit paid so far

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Where do you get that?

13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds and F2003-GA like this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thats not how it works in the US. Here the dealer is required to refund your deposit. You lose nothing.

15. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Hmmmm........I don't buy that, worst case is you lose your deposit, the dealer decides to do no future business with you and you get 'marked' with Ferrari Spa.

dustman likes this.
  16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    If the dealer doesn't want to do business after that the used market is huge and you can buy from any dealer in that market.

09Scuderia likes this.
  17. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Absolutely. The dealer is your friend only as long as they make money of your back (many times too much money) which i guess is ok since they run a business but likewise no love lost either from a buyer. Current climate is ripe for buyers to play hard ball with the dealers.

09Scuderia, IloveGT and F2003-GA like this.
  18. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Let me just know why you all bought yourself a Pista. I bought mine to drive with it.

9650max, GoHardGT3RS and Gh21631 like this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    How about a review of your driving experience with it.

F2003-GA likes this.
  20. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Its still cold ouside. Not driving during that period here. Will change soon.

21. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Question

If the dealer wants to push the point and you ordered the car, but the market on YOUR car is lower due to color combos etc ( some require 20k or 50 K if it’s that’s bad I mean questionable), could they sue you for damages and the discount necessary to sell YOUR car?

Has anyone gotten their deposit kept?

For me, I AM COLORBLIND. But I am in awe of the spectacular PISTA combinations, the absolute minority end up like this one, disliked by many- especially TailorMade cars where they steward you through the process. Also for my education, doesn’t TM require a little larger deposit- I know the car that started the thread was a resold/reselling car.

Scott

22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #97 IloveGT, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Interesting question. I may be wrong. In California, a deposit cannot be withheld by law and must be refunded even if the agreement was signed before. Any attorney to confirm this?

23. In theory, yes.

But in practice, a dealership (really, no individual or entity) will really litigate and incur the costs of litigation to recuperate what essentially will amount to about 20K, max, on a gross basis, and probably less than 1k, max, on a net basis, after costs and attorney's fees.

As another posted mentioned above, most states in the U.S. have laws that prohibit "non-refundable" deposits -- making the term essentially an oxymoron.

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Same in most if not every state

25. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    if the car is truly new, they can't sell it for less than MSRP. They cant advertise it for 180 days. it is just an expense and a massively depreciating one. whoever buys it eventually will be the first owner. I don't think Ferrari dealers sell new inventory to other Ferrari dealers. There is probably some workaround where they can somehow make the car new, but in such a way that Ferrari is ok with them selling it for market price vs MSRP. Bill, if you want it...just wait and make them sell it to you for the true market. There is ZERO chance there will be any sort of bounce back in the economy...everything is on your side with this.

I wouldn't for a second-ever play the Ferrari new car game again. Buy used with no miles and save a ton on everything. Even the special cars like the Pista Spider which should be selling for 250k over isn't. The Argento spider ATX has an asking price of MSRP plus taxes...not to mention the cars that guy had to buy just to get a Pista Spider spot.

Yes, we were smart to exit the game when we did. We didn't lose much money. But, we didn't buy all those cars to make money either....not losing money was the real goal from a financial perspective. I wanted a 812 Spider...and now realize that those will be easily had used sooner vs later.

The modern Ferraris are all amazing. The Pista is earth-shatteringly good. If we still lived on the mainland we probably would have kept it....and not given a wink about the loss $$ (well sort-a)

willcrook and Shadowfax like this.