Any thoughts on the 348 on BaT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any thoughts on the 348 on BaT

Discussion in '348/355' started by 355dreamer, Mar 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    well bought! I think the silver although awesome, hurts resale, that said I wold have bid if I was in the market, the color is awesome and at that prices its doubly awesome. Enjoy and welcome!

Robb likes this.
  2. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    you stole it! Congrats!!!
    As someone who got a 355 just a few months ago I can say you will have blast!
    Ferrari is something special and it has nothing to do with horsepower or acceleration numbers - as you already most likely know(i had Aston, and many Porsches prior to getting my car...)

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    For me the silver ups the price, the Spider part hurts the price.

Still, a silver 348 in any form is a special beast imho. Great buy!

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congratulations. The 348 is easy work on (as you mentioned you plan on working on it yourself), and you have this forum for unlimited support.

allandwf likes this.
  5. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Nice one, enjoy.

6. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    Enjoy your new 348. I think you "stole" it. May I suggest you find the best, most reputable shop around for your maintenance needs as a "bad" shop will cost you more in the long run... I learned the hard way.

7. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I think you are right about finding the right shop. I am still researching, but central OR isn’t exactly loaded with Ferrari mechanics!

8. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Terry Graham at Ron Tonkin or Craig Nelson at The Jag Shop. Both are factory trained on this era of Ferrari and have handled my car. Transport yours to them or better yet drive it there. Congrats on the purchase.

zddy97210 likes this.
  9. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    As I have discovered, the 348 is an immense amount of fun to drive, as a 348 newbie myself, I am having more fun than I could have ever imagined......Congrats and what a great price!!

10. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thank you everyone for the comments and encouragement! The car was picked up by the transporter on Tuesday, but I do not currently have an ETA.

I seem to have some trepidation about the car, as in "what have I done!", but I am sure I will get over that as soon as it arrives. I hope!

Thanks again everyone.

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #36 Ferrarium, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Keith, except for people who make 200K per month, we all feel that way lol. The thing is, the cars are pretty easy to work on, spend a year reading and a year working on them and replacing things are you'll learn troubleshooting just how mechanically simple they are, not too far from a muscle era car actually. For me any thread I ran across with a problem with the 348, I noted the issue and added replacing that part to my list, often its a $20 check valve or what not that IF it fails can cause more serious issues. So at this time most things that cause issues have been proactively done on mine. PM me for a list of you wish.

The forum is great and is filled with an obscene amount of DIY and troubleshooting threads. If you have an issue, don't panic. run some searches first, most issues have 50 threads already meaning you can read them and digest it from multiple angles etc. Then proceed with the $150 fix. If your a DIY guy, its very manageable.

Use the forum the folks out here are great, but the history of the forum that truly a great resource, use it.

The 348 steering is amazing but after all the years the racks have bushing that fail it happens to ALL of them, they people drive them and they feel strange and sort of dangerous. First thing... check this on the front right wheel, just jack up the passenger side garb the wheel and give it a go. If you have this issue (often not this severe) rebuild the rack the reward of the 348 steering is worth it. You can DIY it for a few hundred dollars. There should be ZERO movement and ZERO knock. IF you have it no sweat they all do its expected. When the steering is dialed in and aligned properly its amazing. Task 1 get the steering back to the original amazing state.

Have no fear, if you always wanted the car like I did you did the right thing, I can't thank ernie enough for documenting every issue he ever had.

Links, references, may as well do ball joints and tie rod ends the greats is probably dried out in the sealed joints anyhow.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/started-348-steering-rack-rebuild.591467/

Congrats, enjoy!

12. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Enjoy!
    If you change your mind let me know and I take it off your hand LOL
    On a serious note - keto reading here and elsewhere, do a few things on the car you feel comfortable and find a competent independent shop AND develop a good relationship with them.
    Have a blast!!!

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    But lots of great brews instead! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Wade likes this.
  15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  16. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    My first Ferrari was Argento. Great for many models showing off their lines.

I love the 348 spider.

Robb

17. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Nice to hear. I hope it turns out to be our favorite!

Delivery is scheduled for midday Monday. That prompted a scramble to finish making a temporary garage spot
    Image Unavailable, Please Login [

Yes, the rocker is positioned for Ferrari viewing

Updates soon. zd

18. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I look forward to loving the 348 Spider too!

19. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
  20. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!
    You're going to love it. I have a 94 spider and can't stay out of it. It's a very rewarding car to drive fast or slow. We'll, too fast and like anything can be a problem but I think you get it. Enjoy!!

21. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks! I have a pretty full plate at the moment, but I hope to go through the car and paperwork in the next day or two.

What I liked in the short drive from the transporter to our home is the required level of involvement from the driver. It is the same reason I like motorcycles - you have to participate!

22. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    LOVE the silver. Absolutely love it.

steved033 likes this.
  23. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    beware of moving shopping carts!!! (in the background)

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Allen S. likes this.
  25. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Good catch Wade. I'm surprised I didn't notice. Yeah, I'd paint the mirrors silver again.